MMA Guns vs Pythons

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Swipe, May 10, 2006.

1. Swipe

Swipe New Member

Whenever I try to talk to one of my friends about mma or a martial art in general he usually replies with, "I'm just gonna get a gun." At first I just thought it was him with this belief, but I'm finding more and more people put trust in a hand gun instead of a martial art. I think this is retarded because most martial arts show how to effectively disarm most weapons.

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Are you being serious?

3. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

yeah.... this thread will not possibly give you the answer you search for...

There are entire schools of though built around this question. Your best bet is to take a firearms tactics class and a street based self defense class so you can find out the truth.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

oh my god.

any MA that believes it can prepare you to disarm someone with a gun is fooling themselves and setting their students up to be seriously injured or killed.

5. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

:werd:

No matter how well trained you are it is downright foolish to try to fight a man with a gun.

edit - just thought I'd add, its just as foolish to carry a gun you don't know how to use properly.

6. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Firearms are better for fighting at a distance. Either will get the job done but I'd rely more on my martial arts training than on my HK USP Tactical .45 in a close range situation. Most self defense situations happen at close range, and most people train to shoot at 15+ feet....I carry a firearm and a knife but would use my other skills before bringing a ranged weapon into the fight. Though I might bring my knife into a hand to hand fight if I felt like I'd need it. Just my 2 cents

7. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Regarding disarming a person with a gun: a gun should only be drawn when you're ready to fire it, thus not giving the person a chance to disarm you. Disarms are possible though, I've loaded snap caps(fake ammo) into a gun and told a friend to try pulling the trigger before I could disarm him. Its possible to disarm an attacker, but most of the time, unless you're expecting them to draw a gun, you'll get shot.

8. Swipe

Swipe New Member

Krav Maga boasts of their disarming tactics. I see what you all mean though. I guess I just don't like the idea of someone walking up with a gun and being able to kill me even though I've trained in disarming. :wtc:

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

People who carry guns are paranoid. They're going to be waiting for you to make your move so they're ready for it. Plus with the adrenalin pumping their sense of awareness, reflexes, and strength are increased. The best opportunity for gun disarms would be when someone is relaxed and lets their guard down.

10. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

People that say they're just going to get a gun for self defense are just asking to go to prison or worse. In your average street fight you can not shoot someone and even pulling the gun could cause some serious shit, like someone else pulling one and shooting you first and getting other random people involved.

Also, if you get jumped from behind it's a lot more likely that either 1. you'd never get the gun out or 2. you'd lose the gun to the attacker.

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

The DoJ estimates that 1.5 million people draw their gun in self defense each year. If most of them went to prison there would be a severe overcrowding problem. http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles/165476.pdf

In most cases this is true, but if your opponent is bigger and stronger or if you're up against multiple attackers you may very well have justifiable cause. At least in CA, the anti-gun capitol of the country, according to the laws as long as you believe that you will suffer severe bodily injury you are justified.

You'd think so, but if you are well trained in close quarters defense (attend classes, drill the exercises regularly) you can get a shot off before it even registers in their head that you have a gun. If there are people around, such as in a bar I would simply leave immediately as the odds are not good if you stay.

Yes this would be the biggest danger of all. But most anti-gun folk argue that criminals don't want to hurt you in the first place so whether you have a gun or not they're not going to use it to kill you. And if they do plan on killing you, not having a gun isn't going to save your life anyway. The worst case scenario would be that your attacker only decides to kill you after he's found your gun. There is no right answer. Whether or not someone is better off with a gun is up to the individual whos life will be put in danger and it's their responsibility to be a responsible owner.

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

13. f3rg

f3rg New Member

Ive trained weapons, and weapon disarming.. Of both knives and guns. You should never bring either into a situation if you are not going to use it.. Loosing the advantage you thought you had to your attacker could be the end of your life..
    my 2c

14. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Just gonna hit on this one cause I'm cool with the rest.

I think we're talking about people that aren't trained. People that want a gun and nothing else for self defense. They don't take classes, unless they happen to be required to get the weapon. The whole idea is that they get a gun so they don't have to take classes and maybe really fight.

I take an all or nothing stance on guns. Either everyone should have one or nobody should. If everyone had one, all the bad guys would be too scared to try shit cause they'd know the victim (and potentially other bystanders) could cap their ass.

15. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

There is a reason why we give soilders guns, not TapOut T-Shirts.

:hsugh:

16. DKKD

DKKD New Member

lol at the visual

made me think of the locos on mma magazines

17. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

im not paranoid enough to carry a knife let alone a gun around with me... and dont think i ever will. if its my time then its my time. fuck guns.

and i like the thread title :rofl:

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I practice MT but I plan on being a cop... I guarantee you if i'm on the job and someone busts out a piece and I think they'll use it, I'll shoot them dead before I run up and try to grab their weapon... and give em the old tiger uppercut ( Sagat > * )

If some huge thug comes up on the street and grabs my shirt and tells me to give him my money or he'll kick my ass, and he's got a team of friends waiting, i'd rather just give him my wallet than take out a gun and shoot a few people dead for doing something stupid.

I don't like crime or being robbed but I wouldn't want to kill someone over a couple 20's and some credit cards. Currently that's how I see it. If I was a cop I'd gladly pull my piece and arrest them, but as a civilian I don't really see the point in packing a gun everywhere I go if it's in the city.

Now if I was driving around the backroads of Texas or New Mexico it'd be a different story.

19. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

whats this gotta do with pythons?

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Maybe he's thinking if he can't get a CCW permit for a gun, he'll just buy a snake and carry it in his pocket.

21. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

dude. Youre not always gonna be packin your gun with you and yu have a greater chance getting away with choking somebody out than you do blasting them in public. Shooting is a definate go to jail for a long time (they rarely let you off for self-defense, better pray you dont kill somebody). Imagine fighting in a movie theater or some shit, you always gonna have your gun? if not youre fucked. The human body is still the coolest thing there is.