GUN Guns banned in Tn

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 19, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6242822
    Community Suggests Gun Possession Is Illegal For Residents

March 18, 2007 02:02 AM

ANTIOCH, Tenn.- Some people in a Nashville neighborhood are furious over a new rule that makes it illegal to own a gun.

Residents in Nashboro Village said it's unconstitutional and leaves them defenseless.

Two weeks ago, residents received a from their homeowners' association indicating that guns are not allowed on the property.

"It thought it was ironic that they say you can't have something when the United States government says you can," said resident Cristina Salajanu.

Salajanu would like to give her neighborhood management company a history lesson.

"I think it's unconstitutional," Salajanu said. "They can't tell you what to own or not to own in your own house."

Salajanu is talking about the Bill of Rights, specifically the Second Amendment, which grants citizens the right to keep and bear arms. It's been an American freedom for 215 years but Salajanu and other residents said it's been taken away from them.

"Something needs to be done," she said.

Two weeks ago, the property management company at Nashboro Village told its residents no more guns on the property.

"It incensed me that it was written the way it was," said a resident who asked not to be identified.

She said there is a serious need to feel protected here and a firearm can do that.

"We've got dark areas, the lighting is very definitely very dim," she said.

Salajanu said that burglaries started to increase since late summer...

She said she believes her neighborhood has changed since she moved in last year.

"Three weeks ago someone was stopped at gunpoint," Salajanu said. "It seems the nature of those burglaries is becoming more dangerous."

Some residents at Nashboro Village have campaigned for better lighting and more security but if they can't get either they at least want their Second Amendment rights upheld.

"If I'm walking if I'm walking my dog or if I am outside walking and if I don't feel safe and I'm licensed then I'll carry a gun," said the resident who did not want her identity disclosed.

Officials with Ghertner and Company, the property manager at Nashboro Village, would not make an on-camera comment about the gun policy but said they plan on changing the rule soon to allow firearms on the property.

However, they would make it illegal to fire those guns, which residents say is still unconstitutional.

Neighbors said they understand the gun rule is meant to keep criminals out of Nashboro Village but they don't believe that prohibiting firearms is the best way to do that.

HOA's are fucking stupid I would never buy a house where I had to obey some HOA bs.

2. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

who fucking cars, keep your gun, if you have to use it, you get kicked out, but your still alive.

3. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

:werd:.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

5. mvizos

mvizos New Member

But, isn't this an apartment complex? At least from googling, thats what it seems like.

Either way, if I lived there, and someone was JUST help up at gunpoint, yeah....good luck getting me to give up my guns.

edit: Well, looks like I'm an idiot, it's apts & houses...nevermind, I apparently need to drink MORE at lunch, not less.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If it was apartments there wouldn't be a HOA? :dunno: I assumed it was some sort of development.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Isn't it already illegal to fire a gun within a certain distance of a dwelling in most places anyways?

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

it's so hard to find new houses without HOAs anymore though. Builders like them because they keep the property values up.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Adding rules after the fact without a vote of the tenants is usually a no-no because it's like a binding contract.
    Either way, they need a lawyer.

10. t1h

t1h Guest

yeah, but if the HOA made it against their rules to shoot a gun...lets say your house gets broken into. you shoot the burglar. the HOA assess you a $500 fine or whatever. gay.

11. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

Unless your waving it around your yard or openly carrying it they have no way to enforce that rule. In reality HOA's cant do shit. The worse thing I've seen them do is fine our neighbors for leaving boxes and shit on the sidewalk.

12. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

its unconstitutional. someone will sue and it will be overturned like that. they can make it illegal to FIRE a gun, but not own one.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

it's done by board vote I think. If not, it's done by tennant vote, but hardly anyone ever goes to those :dunno:

14. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

again, some idiot thinking that taking the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens will decrese crime

15. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

wait... you guys don't get it... see if the HOA says that no guns are allowed, then all the criminals won't bring guns in. Criminals will haveto obey the HOA too. :eek4: :rofl:

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

duh. everyone who doesn't live there has to follow the rules.

17. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Apartments = renting = not your property.

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

HOA = HOME OWNERS association

19. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Nashboro Village is an apartment complex/condos

20. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Open carry is legal in the state of TN. Our carry permit is just that.. a carry permit. You can do open or concealed carry. I suppose technically though, they could bar carry just like businesses can.

This is fucking ridiculous. It's illegal to discharge a firearm in the city here.. and most cities have something similar. But that's basically a rule saying you can't just hop into your backyard and pump a few into a dirt pile or anything..

I'd still have my guns and I'd still carry, because I'd rather be alive and looking for a new place to move into (they have to give 30 days notice of eviction in TN) than dead, wounded, or missing some of my stuff.

Fuck HOAs.

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

if they tried that shit i'd put a huge fucking molon labe banner on the front of my house :rofl:

22. Werm

Werm Guest

Even so it's illegal (at least here in MN) for a tenant, even an apartment, to prohibit you from legally owning/carrying a gun.

23. Werm

Werm Guest

So in the article is mentions crime is increasing... so what does the HOA do? Try to ban guns from law abiting citizens/customers.

"Ok guys... criminals are coming into our area... we need to take our tenants guns away, then the criminals will stop coming here"

24. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

you do own a condo that tends to be the difference between an apartment and a condo.

I wonder how legal this decision actually is. Generally you cannot or do no modify a lease until it is up for renewal. I have less experience with HOAs, but i am guessing it has to be voted on. I guess the issue becomes is it legal to say where you can and cannot have guns in that state if you are not the government?

Regardless as long as I was fairly certain I would not be found out I would keep all my guns inside and out of sight and even if I chose to get rid of most of my guns I would still keep my carry gun.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  25. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

FWIW, WHen I was in an HOA for about a year i seem to remember rules changes needing to be voted on . soundsli ke they're just trying to push this on the tenants.