MMA Gunnar Nelson earns black belt from Renzo in 3.5 years

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3168

Gunnar Nelson earns black belt from Renzo in 3.5 years

Icelandic prodigy Gunnar Nelson has received his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt from Renzo Gracie this week. The achievement is remarkable given that Nelson has been training BJJ for around just three and a half years.

Regular readers of Fighters Only will know Nelson from our monthly training section, where he has appeared several times. Several FO staff members have had the [dubious] pleasure of rolling with Nelson when he has been training at SBG UK in Manchester and can attest to his advanced mat skills and ridiculously crushing mount.

Last weekend, Nelson entered the Abu Dhabi Combat Club grappling championships by invitation, but was forced to compete two categories up from his weight as the welterweight bracket was full. Nonetheless, he put in a sterling performance that included a win over veteran heavyweight Jeff Monson.

“Gunnar has demonstrated amazing ability in all areas of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and did very well at the Annual Abu Dhabi Combat Championship,” a spokesman for Renzo Gracie Academy said. “It is this caliber of grappler that we here at RGA are proud to have represent us! Congrats Gunnar!”

Nelson is 5-0-1 in professional mixed martial arts and has enjoyed success thanks to an effective mixture of karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He earned the nickname ‘Shotgun’ because of his top game in MMA. One commentator noted that once he gets mount he does not throw needless punches but instead creates an opening “then lets you have it with both barrels”.

All at Fighters Only would like to congratulate Gunnar on his achievement and wish him all the best for his future career.

christ...

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

yeah ive been hearing about that guy for a while. he's been totally overlooked.. but winning everything

3. teep

teep New Member

that's badass

4. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Gunnar is unreal. He beat Monson.

5. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Gunner fought amazingly and really humble, laid back dude. He was on my flight to and from the US. Congrats to him.

6. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Dude is so chill. He's like fucking 180 and competed with the big dogs and "hung"..

Unreal.

A true phenom.

7. roose

roose Guest

8. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Stories like these always make me realize how gifted certain people are.

Out of thousands and thousands of people that train BJJ, there are maybe 1000 bbs, and maybe 10 bbs that got it that quickly.

9. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

"gifted" is relative.

Penn? Yes, gifted. Gifted with a fat wallet that allowed him to train 3 times a day, 6 days a week for 3 years until he got his black belt.

I have no idea what Gunnars background is - but sometimes "gifted" can mean a lot of different things. It still takes the skill and dedication to go far but it certainly helps when "real life" isnt so real.

10. Hillary

Kirik told me Renzo has a very non-traditional look at BJJ belts. If you're beating everyone at your belt, and you're doing well with the guys at the next, you get it. And it's that damn simple. A wrestler went in and went from white-purple in 3 weeks or something. And who's to say anything about the quality of grapplers he puts out?

Does Gunnar have a wrestling background?

11. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

That's who I thought of as well.

12. ZZex

ZZex New Member

that'd be more amazing if he has zero experience in anything, including wrestling.

13. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

No. Just karate before jiu jitsu. He's got excellent karate as well.

6-0-1 in MMA.

14. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

this is the case. he's only trained in karate prior to bjj.

15. Hillary

Holy fuck.

16. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yeah, there's apparently a large range of standards amongst the gracies for promotions

for example, cesar is notorious for keeping you at a certain belt forever

17. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Cesar is stingy as fuck.

I agree with Renzo. If you are competing/beating people at a certain level, you too should be at that level.

The whole "time" thing is bullshit. The only "time" that matters is "mat time"..

18. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'd imagine that it can't be everybody's method though

the lines get blurred between belt levels even more, so let other schools promote on a quasi-timetable so that it sets the bar across the board

19. Hillary

It depends. Renzo's system would NOT work in a small, just starting school, it would lower the bar every time.

But we're talking mats full of blackbelts that have each other to push and brown belts nipping at their heels, purple belts forced to survive in that to get their rank...etc. There, it works.

I like some standard of time...BJJ is getting scary close to TKD as far as some guys getting BBs. But then again, those 10-12 year BB still happen all the time, it's just the phenom kids you hear about. Gunnar's gonna be a champ, soon.

20. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

Wait, it's not the same gunnar? There's multiple people with the name "Gunnar Nelson?" weird.

21. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

I couldn't disagree more.

22. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Agree, its kinda bullshit if you someone outranks you yet your mopping the mat with and you have nothing to show for your progress. I guess in a sense an instructor can use that method to make you push yourself even harder to work for that next belt but if they are just being fucking greedy about it thats pointless.

23. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

And I also should rephrase that. If you are beating people in COMPETITION, from other academies, etc - THAN you should be promoted.

Not just saying you're the best scrub white belt in a new academy in bum fuck no where.

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

wouldn't that essentially be reliant on how you do in comps, who you're competing against, etc? it also depends on the frequency you're competing at and whatnot as well. if you live in Bumblefuck, USA and compete against another five-person gym, you're essentially setting your bar against theirs of sorts. as hillary said, it really depends on the size of the school too

chechen says he doesn't do well in comps, but he deserves he poo belt nonetheless :dunno:

25. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

No. I mean if you go to Naga and beat the shit out of all of the white belts and then go to the next tournament and beat the shit out of all of the white belts, you should be able to get a blue belt. Not have to wait XYZ amounf of time.

What I DONT mean is that "if you are the best white belt in your academy - you should be blue" because if you go to a tournament and can't beat other white belts, you should still be a white belt.