GUN Gunmakers will leave Il if AWB passes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 3, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gunmakers: We'll leave state
    By Kurt Erickson
    [email protected]
    March 02, 2006

SPRINGFIELD -- Several Illinois gun manufacturers said Wednesday they will pack up and leave Illinois if state lawmakers approve a ban on assault weapons.

The threats came as a House panel approved legislation to ban the weapons, even though the proposal’s prospects appear bleak in the Senate following comments earlier this week by Senate President Emil Jones, D-Chicago.

In a press conference before the House Executive Committee’s 9-3 vote in favor the ban, the gun makers said they would pull up stakes and take 750 jobs with them if the ban is OK’d.

"If this passes, we’re out of town," said Dennis Reese, co-owner of Springfield Armory in Geneseo, one of four gun makers located in the Rock River Valley town of 6,400 residents.

"Our only course of action would be moving out of state," added Mark Westrom, president of ArmaLite Inc., another Geneseo gun manufacturer.

The sparring comes after Gov. Rod Blagojevich said in his State of the State speech last month that reinstating the expired federal ban on certain kinds of military-style weapons was one of his top priorities in this spring’s legislative session.

But Jones, in comments earlier in the week, said he doubts the measure will come up for a vote in the Senate because it is too contentious.

Despite its apparently dim prospects, state Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago, pushed the legislation through the House Executive Committee. The measure could come up for a vote on the House floor this week.

An attempt last year to move the ban through the House failed to receive enough votes.

Gun makers and their state lawmakers argued that they operate legal businesses that are subject to tough state and federal requirements. Westrom said the state should concentrate on catching criminals, rather than on banning guns.

"The arms manufacturers of Illinois and their customers are not the problem," said Westrom.

Along with Springfield Armory and ArmaLite, other companies involved in fighting the ban include Lewis Machine & Tool of Moline, Les Baer Custom Inc. of Hillsdale and Rock River Arms Inc. of Colona.

State lawmakers on both sides of aisle vowed to help block the ban.

"The State of Illinois has almost become an enemy of my district," said state Sen. Mike Jacobs, D-East Moline.

"We will fight this with everything we have," added state Sen. Todd Sieben, R-Geneseo.

The legislation is House Bill 2414.

www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/03/02/news/doc440716d1465c2131108157.txt

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

3. Furner

Furner New Member

wow. thats alot of big names in guns. that has got to be some good leverage.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

RRA, Les Baer, SA, AND armalite :eek5:

its about time these companies starting standing up for the rights of their customers..

I still like Barretts approach the best.. since they banned the 50 bmg in california, Barrett will not sell any of their products to any law enforcement or goverment agencies in California

5. san408

san408 New Member

That's a pretty powerful quote. I love it. Thanks.

6. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

7. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

what is LMT part of, or are they on their own?

8. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

im very proud of manufacturers for once

9. reman

reman New Member

10. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

While I admire the approach of barrett, there is little actual deployable use of a .50bmg in law enforcement situations. At most it could take out and engine block, but we don't routinely shoot at cars to stop them.

11. mrbill

mrbill New Member

they make more than just .50bmg rifles.

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

13. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I love the idea of the model 99, its almost like its sole purpose is to be a fuck you to the CA DOJ.

14. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Outfuckingstanding. +1 in the respect department for all of those manufacturers.

15. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

The more I live in Illinois, the more I'm disappointed in how anti-gun it is.

16. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Attn: gun makers of Illinois,

Nevada has many business friendly laws and relatively low taxes as well as almost no firearms laws. Real estate is cheap and you would probably be able to cut costs.
    By all means, move here!

Thank You for your time,
    Clean97gti

17. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

It wont affect these agencies, its just the principle of the matter, and Ronnie is doing what is right.

18. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Nevada gunowners are just in denial. There are fucking RETARDED gun laws in NV. Registration? Somehow, that doesn't fit into "almost no" firearms laws. That's one of the WORST firearms laws, second only to banning. Florida is a pretty firearm-friendly state, despite the liberal yankees moving in. GA is swinging into FL's territory this legislative session with 6 different firearm-friendly bills being pushed through.

19. reman

reman New Member

Gun makers move to Texas?:bigthumb:

20. itchiban

itchiban New Member

word

21. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

They should just move over here to missouri. We love guns, and we need the jobs. I know my town would give a major tax break, possibly even cover the cost of the move and building, they did it for another company awhile back.

22. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Come on down to Arizona. We'll make you feel all kinds of welcome (and hopefully get a discount in the process!)