GUN Gun training/handling classes...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by alnen, May 27, 2003.

1. alnen

alnen Guest

I just turned 18 a month ago and I want to purchase a firearm. I believe in my state that you have to be 18 to purchase a shotgun or semi-automatic rifle, and 21 to purchase anything automatic and pistols. My mom won't allow me to own a gun, but I am moving out soon. In the mean time, I would like to take some training classes. Where do I go for that and how much does it cost? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

true, but any training is better than none. you can talk to your local range about classes they offer, or see the NRA's website for more stuff. your local range/gunshops will know places to go for beginner training.

3. worth

worth Guest

You can own an automatic weapon at 21 without a special permit in GA?

4. JW2

JW2 New Member

Nope, you have to have a class 3 just like everywhere else in the US.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

there is no such thing as a "class 3." it's a type II or NFA firearm. there are only two types. type I is the stuff you can buy normally. type II is the group including SBR's, destructive devices, automatics, and AOW's. class 3 is a term that people have picked up from classifications of FFL's. you get a "tax stamp" and a "background check", not a "class 3". but yes, you can own fully automatic firearms at 21 in any state that allows such firearms. GA is one of the most firearm-friendly in the nation.

6. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I would recommend the NRA Basic Handgun Safety Course, it is about $100 here. It is best to take at an indoor range. Since you don't have a gun yet, they may let you rent/use theirs. This should give you a good idea about what you might want to buy.