GUN Gun stores seem to give some pretty shitty advice...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The friend who has been wanting a 9mm around $300 went to some gun stores around him today.

He just told me he wants a .357 revolver instead.

I was like, "Why? Semi gives you quicker reloads and more rounds per reload. It's better for self-defense"

And he's like, "Today people said semi's are prone to jamming"

:rolleyes:

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

most gun stores around here seem to be pretty good in that regard

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats like being surprised when the guy at best buy gives you bad computer advice ;)

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The ones around me also seem to give okay advice.

Some of the ones in his area I've been too are kind of shitty. You know the kind run by the old guy who's been sniffing Hoppe's #9 way too long.

5. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Revolver are a nice gun to start on.
    And then the gun store hopes you buy an auto after you learn on the revolver.

Scary, but the internet has been a great source of info for me.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Hoppes is my current cologne :hsughno:

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

It worked on my Mom... She bought a portable DVD player because they told her playing DVDs on the laptop would damage the laptop :o

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

no no.. thats completely different..

computers are to best buy, what guns are to dicks.. you dont go to dicks for advice on guns, you go there after you already researched and got advice, just to get a good price..

you go to a computer shop and expect decent advice on computers.. you should expect the same at a gun shop..

however, it seems some gun store owners would rather push their bias on you than make a sale..

fuck em

9. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Well it's half true, I guess.

10. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

One of the gun stores I go to swears by revolvers and custom 1911s. According to them if you carry anything else then you're screwing yourself over. I insisted that if I buy a gun it's going to be a semiauto so he tried to sell me an S&W M&P. I walked into another one and the guy tried to sell me a hi-point 9mm.

11. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

maybe they get kickbacks from different gun makers...? :dunno:

u would think just like any other business the most important aspect is reputation, make ur customers happy and those always come to u first and tell others about the great little gun shop they know...

but then again ive come across many MANY small business owners that obviously havent got a clue but seem to stay in business... :confused:

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some shops know there shit some dont, some will try to bullshit you into believing they know, some will be straight up and honest.

13. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

The one around here convinced my freind to get a 7m rem mag instead of a 30-06 "in case" he ever hunted elk (my friend knows someone who hunts elk every year).He said the 06 isnt adiquate for elk, so he got my buddy to get the 7mm.

But most of the ones here are good at shooting the shit if your bored.

14. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Usually a few reasons. They get a promotion deal with a supplier that if they sell so many Brand A guns they get a discount on next complete order, or some other benefit that month. Or they have some guns laying around that haven't sold so they are trying to clear inventory to order better selling models. Or they got a bunch of Brand A guns on a discount and want to get them sold quickly for a quick profit.

You gotta remember when in a gunshop they are salesmen. All they really care about is separating your money from your wallet. It's just like dealing with car dealers.

15. mrbill

mrbill New Member

that's actually not bad advice for someone w/little to no experience w/firearms. they're simpler to use, don't require the deactivation of a safety and aren't as ammo sensitive as semi's. yes, semi's give you more rounds and reload more quickly, but being a little more complicated to use, a newb is more likely to mess something up if they are required to deploy it in a high stress situation.

16. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

:werd:

I would get people coming in to our store wanting a pistol, they have never fired a gun, but they wanted to order a Desert Eagle because it was the bad-ass gun in movies. I ask them what they want it for and it's plinking and home protection. I will advise them on a revolver as their first gun for safety reasons (basically their own). They still have plenty of power, can sit loaded basically forever and usually less expensive. If they get to where they enjoy shooting, they will come back in a couple months, usually with a shooting buddy and move up to a P series Ruger or a Glock.

17. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Well, a lot of people prefer a revolver because no matter what goes wrong, all you have to do is pull again and you go to the next round. I kinda like the idea but I love my semi's way too much. Besides, I need something thin enough to conceal and I'm not big enough for a revolver....

On topic though, I was in a store browsing when a lady came in looking for a 9mm, specifically looking for a 9mm semi because it was the only thing she was used to. The guy at the counter asked what for and she said home defence. He went on for the next 15 mins about how the perfect thing for her to protect her home with was a .410 pump! I was shocked...

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I got the "revolvers are better than semis" speech at the gun store I went into today. I wanted to get some ammo for my M44 in case I can get out to shoot it this weekend. It's the same guy that recommends hi-points :mamoru:. Once he started talking about how many Cobras he sells every week I paid for my ammo and left.

19. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I actually had a store owner tell me, in the space of five minutes, that Golden Sabres were great cos the local sheriffs carried them, but he refused to stock them because they suck cos he personally knew two people that attempted to commit suicide by shooting themselves in the head but the Golden Sabres failed to kill them, but if they were bad the FBI wouldn't carry them, but he would only trust Winchester or Speer and Remington should stick to hunting ammo, but if I really wanted them he would order them, and so many people have been asking about them, he really needed to start stocking them and he was going to place an order the next day.