GUN Gun store advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blkgs4, Sep 9, 2005.

1. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Alright guys, after about 2 years of thinking about it I'm finally gonna do it. I'm gonna start a gun store in Alabama, also may do transfers and stuff in Georgia but that is dependent on the ATF at this point. I'm gonna do an FFL/SOT and hopefully gonna stick with LE sales as I have a Marine buddy who would enjoy doing it and wouldn't mind a little traveling salesmanship. However as the physical store is going to be located in Alabama I'm gonna sell hunting supplies to stay in business and actually eat.
    Anyways at this point I'm looking for store names and advice on what to stock as far as hunting supplies are concerned? I feel comfortable dealing with NFA, most modern pistols, ARs, AKs, shotguns of all variants, optics, and basic ammunition needs. However when it comes to hunting, including hunting firearms, calibers, clothing, and deer scents I have absolutely no clue. And this is really the stuff I need to buy to actually stock the store and really know about not only to educate myself but to actually seem half-ass confident when I talk to a seasonsed hunter of the non-professional category.

Anyways I'd like any real help ya'll can offer, and maybe Fazle might allow a little gun trading on the board if a FFL moderates a litte or something????

2. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

have you been to the hunting supply stores in your area. That would be a good way to see what is popular and such. Otherwise talk to hunters, thumb through cabala's magazine, and check out hunting magazines. You may think about hiring a seasoned hunter part time (preferably retired hunters so there are no other obligations) to help you out with that part especially in the pre-season rush.

Good luck with all this stuff. My favorite gun stores all use last names (Imbert and Smithers, Reeds, etc.) not even a name that has to do with guns. Thats just around here though.

Good luck, sounds like you have a good plan

BTW, what the hell is that in your av. i have always wondered.

3. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

looks like a knife.

4. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

i still dont see it. oh well.

5. I think having cheap FFL transfers would be a good idea. ($15).. im not sure how much it costs the actual dealer to do a transfer, but I know with the internet, FFL transfers are pretty big right now.

Its all about service.. you can have prices that are a little high, just treat your customers like royalty.. thats what they are... they keep you in business.

6. johan

johan Active Member

its a knife. The blade is pointing towards you, down in the lower right hand side of the pic. You can see the thumb opener up along the back ridge of the blade.

7. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Well MachWon, my buddy who is gonna do LE sales is somewhat familiar
    with hunting supplies but probably not as much as I'd like to be. I
    could hire someone, but that would kill any sort of profit I could
    possibly expect to get from the store.
    I've been to a couple of hunting store already but all I could see everywhere were random bolt guns and camo, camo shirts, camo shorts, camo belts, it's unbelieveable, I simply can't make heads or tales out of any of it. As far as the mags are concerned, they only seem to show what is new in the market and not what the market is really demanding and it doesn't show the basic needs of the hunter which the shop on the corner should carry.
    But you're right in a way because how else can one possibly become versed in this stuff unless you really just absorb yourself into it and really get into the stores and start just talking to people.
    As far as transfers/ internet sales are concerned I'd charge $10 for regular handguns/longguns and $50 for title 2 stuff, and no transfer fee for any active military. It doesn't cost an FFL anything to do a transfer he just has to log it in and out, and to me that is fairly decent service.
    I don't expect to kill everyone on the prices, I'd rather do a bit more sales in quantity and keep the prices down which I believe is going to be possible in this area.

And as far as my avatar is concerned ya'll could have just asked sooner, it's a Strider SnG 4k or 5k Nightmare
    [​IMG]
    To me probably one of the most amazing grinds on a blade that is possible from a production unit. I had a chance to buy one locally for the low cost of $600 but I past on it which I regret now considering you couldn't pay twice that and pick it up now. And if I were gonna be spending that much money I'd rather just get a full out Mayo or something, but one day I will have the blade in my life.

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

OT Discounts :x:

9. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

If Fazle allows it :hsd:

10. striker754

striker754 Chillin

He doesnt have to know! PMs FTW.

Hurry up and get that FFL and get some dealer discounts :x:

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Well most really good deals only come with huge orders, regardless if you're a dealer or not. But as an FFL you are given a bit more opportunity/ trust to run group buys on things which is probably what I'd try to do to hook everybody up. And yes it might come to PMs FTW, but hopefully one of the mods will see the light and open up OT to a little buying/selling/trading.

12. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Go find a hunting guru to work with you.

13. JaxFlJon

JaxFlJon Guest

:werd:

From my vast knowledge (im just kiddin about my vast knowledge here... lol) a few things you might want to have (very obvious but im tryin to be helpful):

1) Common types of ammo. Not everyone is gonna buy that .50 cal machine gun ammo.

2) Camo. Hunters need camo! A gun shop without camo is like a grocery store without milk. or atleaste thats my take on it.

3) Hunting Rifles. Even though you might want to sell some ak-47's (and I might be interested if you do) you got to have the rifles that hunters want.

4) Hunting Rifle Scopes. Every hunter that buys a rifle will definatly want a good scope to go with their purchase. Not a lazer sight (I'd want one of these for my AK if you ever start this business)

5) Be knowledgable!!!!! If somebody says somthing like : Oh I need a 30-odd-6 (hell if I know what that means if anything) you better know what it is and dont try to act like you do know if you really dont. Its like taking your car to the mechanic and you say: Have you ever worked on a turbo before? and all you get is a puzzled look on his face.

6) Get some of that 'anti-scent' stuff. Thats so the deer cant smell ya. Its prolly just a scam (like the tornado for your car :mamoru: ) but some people swear by it.

7) Even though your store is for hunting/guns you might want to consider including fishing stuff. That way you have a "Sportsman Shop". Hunting and Fishing (in my view atleaste) go hand in hand. Pees and carrots... Bonnie and Clyde.

And thats about all the helpfulness I can be. And just a disclaimer: These are just some of my thoughts which might help you.

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Customer service is king. as said, you can charge more, but if you give the customer your all, they will come back to you.

i would pay more and have someone who can answer all questions and will give me their undivided attention. plus you have customers for life if you treat them right. that is waht people want, they want to be treated like people and friends, not as a customer.

finding a niche would be the best

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  15. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

5) Be knowledgable!!!!!

This, IMO, is the single most important asset you can posess.
    Know what you sell! I despise going into a business, any business, and the sales people either not being able to answer my questions, or making up some BS answer.

If you treat all your customers well, even the one who's just buying a single box of ammo, know your products, and have fair prices, the word of mouth advertising alone should guarantee your initial success.

as you grow, you may want to branch out into such things as custom rifles, accurization, etc.