GUN gun show "loop hole" vs "murder" weapon

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

so, my friend just posed an interesting question

at gun shows (in texas), private sellers don't have to have any documentation.
    so, can they murder someone, then get rid of the gun the next weekend at a show?

2. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

For the most part private face-to-face sales can happen anywhere at any time without "documentation," not just at gun shows.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

End the gun show loop hole !!!!!!!!1111

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

so you /could/ just get rid of a murder weapon that way, right?
    man, i am so getting documentation for every gun i buy...

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Criminals have no need to go to gunshows, that's gun grabber propaganda.

Criminals get guns from other criminals. Generally these are guns that can be had for cheap from robberies. After a crime or murder is commited the gun is just resold to another criminal often without being told that the gun was used to commit a crime. When a criminal gets caught with said gun they run the risk of being pinned with several other crimes they did not nessasarily commit.

As far as ammo this is something that surprized me and I hope it does not get out to the gun grabbers. If gang bangers need ammo what they do is go to the indoor range and rent a gun and buy some ammo. They then pocket some of the extra ammo and this is what they use for their drive bys or whatever. When I heard this I now kind of look around at the gangster dressed guys at the indoor range. When I see how they shoot I almost want to give them some tips.

Look you prick, you got to use the damn sights and open your eyes when you shoot. This way you might pick each other off and not hit some kid which gets on the news and gets all the gun grabbers wet.

6. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Yes. You could get rid of a murder weapon at a gun show. You could also just strip it and toss the parts in multiple dumpsters around the city.

Which is easier and less risky for a murderer? Going to a gun show and risk meeting a cop or just tossing the gun in the trash behind a 7-11?

7. Sailor Jerry

I suppose, but a criminal is much more likely to toss it in a river or in some random dumpster.

What is this documentation you keep talking about? It's not like you can get a carfax report with a list of everybody who has ever owned the gun. I suppose you could call your local PD with the serial number to see if it's been reported stolen, but unless you're buying it from a really shady guy it would probably be a waste of time.

8. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

yah, no, my idea of documentation is having the seller sign a piece of paper with the serial number on it, or something like that
    nothing fancy, or anything

9. Sailor Jerry

Oh. Well that kind of makes sense.

I still personally find that a little overkill though, unless you're buying from someone shady (in which case you probably shouldn't be buying from them anyway :o).

10. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

i could have a three day beard, jeans, and hoodie on one day. but the next day, i'll be clean shaven, in dress slacks, and a button up shirt tucked in, and everything.

some call me paranoid.
    i call myself vigilant
    >_>

11. Sailor Jerry

:rofl:

Whatever makes you feel comfortable, man.

Just don't complain when I sign your bill of sales as "Rusty Shackleford" :mamoru:

12. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

like somebody who just committed any crime would show up at a gun show. Place is swarming with cops, bot uniform and undercover. :rofl:

13. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

the reason why group oppose this so-called "gun show loophole" is because the brady group and other like it try to demonize and disarm law-abiding citizens.

the proposed legislation only hurts the law abiding

14. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Closing the "gun show loophole" won't address that.

15. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

i'm not arguing for/against forcing private gun sales to require background checks. i'm discussing way to get rid of murder weapons
    you know... for uhh, academic reasons...

seriously though, selling a murder weapon is dumb compared to just dumping it, or burying it in like, a national park, or canada...

16. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

It's easy to tell if a gun is suspect. Almost always they are cheap guns in bad shape for low amounts of money.

99% of criminals don't use 1911s, Sig 229s and rugers. The only real decent weapon that gangsters like is a glock, and those are rare. Mostly you see Lorcens, Jammiez, cheap revolvers, sometimes mac-10s, and other pot metal guns.

17. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Why would the criminal need to get rid of the murder weapon? It's extremely rare that the police actually use a firearm to identify the murderer, no matter what CSI or the Brady Bunch want you to believe. Homicide detectives are going to use much better and more reliable information to identify a killer.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This. The premise of your concern is more movie oriented than real life.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Because walmart is always out of ammo :naughty:. Haven't you read the threads.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Huh? Real life isn't like TV?

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It's called a gunshow "loophole" because people hear loophole and automatically assume that something illegal or borderline illegal is being snuck by, thus bolstering support for an agenda that most of the supports know absolutely nothing about.

Closing the "gunshow loophole" consists of placing government control or restriction on the sales of a gun between two citizens for private party purposes (as opposed to one or both of the parties being engaged in the sales of guns for business/profit). Such sales do take place at gunshows but could also just as easily take place anywhere else.

As for dumping a hot gun, don't do the crime if you're too dumb to cover it up properly.

22. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

It makes me want to choke someone every time I hear some dumbass say the words "gun show loophole." Any time I've asked them what this loophole is, they respond with "uhh, well... It's bad, I know that much!"
    There is no gun show loophole. Everything that's legal at a gun show is legal anywhere else too. All it does it makes it slightly easier to find a private seller to buy from, and at every show I've been at, I rarely see more than 15-20 guys walking around with a gun for sale, and 9/10 times its a WW2-era or earlier bolt action rifle. It would be far easier to grab your local want ads and find what you want in there.