GUN Gun Shop Etiquette?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dank, Jan 8, 2008.

1. dank

dank fuck yeah

I'm sure certain things are very frowned upon when handling new guns (that aren't yours) when you're looking at a store, like dry firing and so forth. So whats acceptable? I'd like to be able to check out the action, etc, but not if its going to piss off the guy working there. I probably won't buy anything tonight, but i'd like to hold 3-4 different guns to help me make up my mind.

So whats acceptable/not acceptable?

2. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Dry firing should be perfectly acceptable if
    A) He clears the gun when handing it to you
    B) You point the muzzle in a safe direction
    C) You check and ensure the chamber is clear.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:werd:

Ask him or her if it's OK if you dry fire it. I check the chamber every time someone hands me a gun, doesn't matter if I just saw them check it. You need to make sure for yourself that it is unloaded.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

D) If you ask if you can dry fire and they say ok.

5. SNDP

SNDP New Member

This is bad, m'kay?

[​IMG]

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Same rules apply to all guns in any and all situations. Observe and demonstrate the 4 golden rules and I'm sure they'll be fine with you. For the most part you are demonstrating you are not a complete idiot and so they can relax.

It's a great idea to check the chamber even after they do it for you because it shows them you know and respect the 4 gold rules.

I know for a fact dry firing a center fire is okay, but it's ettiquette to ask to "dry fire the pistol in a safe direction". You should also ask where their "safe area" is, some places have a designated "safe area" to point the pistol. But for the most part down is safe.

And when you hand a pistol back over to them. I always brace the gun near the back of the slide, and hand it back to them with the muzzle pointed neutruel, and fingers clear of the trigger as long as it doesn't point to other customers or employee's. Again, demonstrates your muzzle direction and control. They are on edge all day from idiot gun handling, give them a rest.

That is ALWAYS the proper way of handing a pistol, anywhere.

Because it's likely you will ask to fondle another pistol, this will give them confidence that you are "competent".

Don't ask to see "everything" in the store. Before you go in, do some homework and narrow it down to 3-4 max and demonstrate that you have a distinct purpose going there. Even I cringe when I hear a customer asking to see every dam pistol and rifle in there just for the sake of holding it. Demonstrate that your there to potentially buy something, not just there to "touch it all". This isnt' a "petting zoo".

Never drop the slide of a 1911, or any gun in general. Don't blip that slide release for the sake of being uber cool.

Know what you want, do your research somewhere else and try to reduce the dumb questions. They're there to sell you a gun, not educate you, nor should you get your "gun knowledge" from them. They know how to open the shop, run the til and fill out the paper work. Trust that they have heard all of the dumb questions of the day.

Butt out of conversations that don't directly address you. I hate gun shop commandos waiting on every oppurtunity to "educate the masses" aka "know it alls".

And when you are done, thank them for their time wether you buy a gun or not. I know, you are the customer, but they've seen enough A-Holes through out the day. They'll be more obliged to help you, wether it be today, or the next.

7. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Can't you break a firing pin if you dry fire a weapon a bunch?

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

Center fires...No. It's an absolute freak of nature when it does. I dry fire my pistol thousands of times, from my Glock to my 1911.

Rimfires... yes. You should never dry fire a .22.

9. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

The local shop that I pretty much don't have a choice but go to (and I hate every trip) has the following rules:

1. Don't dry fire
    2. Don't disassemble
    3. Ride the slide forward, don't let it spring forward

10. johnson

johnson New Member

What's that mean?

The shop I go to pretty much lets people do whatever they want. The worker even dry fires in front of you.

11. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

It means dont let the slide slam closed as you would if you chambering a round. Hold the slide with your hand so it gently closes.

12. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

+1

letting the slide slam shut on an empty chamber causes unnecessary wear and tear, plus on some guns it can actually damage their extractor.

13. TopGun113

TopGun113 Winning

There is no reason to dry fire a gun in a store. If you are interested in buying one and want to test the trigger pull, then you rent or borrow a used model and fire it at the range.

Don't point the gun at anything except the floor or down range.

Everything else was covered.

Oh, try not to get finger prints all over the glass.

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I disagree with that. There is every reason to dry fire a gun in the store, not all weapons are available to rent/test out at the range and dry firing anything other than a rimfire is not a problem for the gun. As long, as was stated, its done in a safe and knowledgeable way, there is no problem with it.

If a shop has a problem with you dry firing a gun or disassembling it in any way, go somewhere else because they are being unreasonable.

15. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Maybe I read the 10/22 manual wrong... I could have sworn it said it was ok to dry fire it. :dunno:

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I can understand #1 just because it is such a prevalent thought that it will break the firing pin and its easier to say all guns and not just rim fire anyways. #2 makes sense from the point of view that they do not want every idiot who comes into look at guns taking them apart and dropping pieces, using too much force, or not knowing how to put it back together, but you are serious about buying they gun they should either let you or disassemble it for you so that you can inspect it. #3 . . . well I'm sure the sound of slides driving home all day would get annoying otherwise.

17. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I follow all the gun etiquette shop rules, know about gun safety and took the hunters' safety course, etc.... but my local gun shop treats me like shit because I'm young and into guns. I go there all the time for range-time, but they seem to not like me because of my age. I'm the same race, so it's nothing biggoted like that.

/rant off, heh

18. SNDP

SNDP New Member

not RACE bigoted, but age bigoted.

19. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I disagree with this for many reasons, the least of which is that the model you are interested in may not be available.

20. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

and if the shop doesn't have a range? :hsugh:

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

I agree with the two above posts. Trigger characteristics are at the very top of my criteria and plays a huge part in my purchase decision..

You can get equally if not more input from dry fire than live fire because you look for trigger travel, break and reset.

Then again most folks don't base their gun buying decisions of actual set criterias or even know what to look for.

22. Section8

Section8 .

I agree with all of this...and especially the last bit - they spend a lot of time cleaning that glass to keep the store presentable - try not to piss them off by getting your greasy paws all over it.

When I'm done looking at a pistol, I will also lock the slide to the rear and check the chamber again before handing it back - with the slide locked to rear. Probably overkill but it certainly doesn't hurt.

23. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

I wouldn't flick the cylinder of a revolver closed with the one handed twist move.

24. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

:werd:

I'll never buy a rifle or pistol without dry firing first, a bad trigger is one of the worst problems you can have.

25. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I've heard otherwise on the rimfires.