GUN Gun shop etiquette?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fire Sauce, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I'm going to a couple of gun stores tomorrow to start theriouthly looking for my first rifle and was wondering what's not cool to do when examining the guns for sale. Are there fruity gun store owners that would get pissed if I held an AK over my head and yelled "rAERKELEKREGKLER!" in the store?

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

use common sense and if you arent sure if you can touch or see something ask them. Courtesey goes a long way.

3. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Aiming at the other customers is generally a bad idea

4. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

:mamoru: What about the store owner.

I'm just wondering if I pulled the trigger on a gun and they'd be all like :mad:

5. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

I wouldn't :hsugh:

Just remember to ask first, don't sweep the barrel across anybody, and don't
    drop it.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

depending on who you talk to dry firing a gun is either A) Perfectly Fine B) A Bad Idea or C) Only Wears Out the firing pin which you should have a replacement for anyways.

I would stay away from pulling the trigger, but if you absolutely have to until you personally have inspected the chamber and seen that is clean do not do it.

7. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

just ask the sales person "do you mind if I dry fire this?" if he says no, then that's that :dunno: he can't get mad at you for asking, and if he does go to the next store

8. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

local shop i go to doesn't really care what i do with the weapons as long as it doesn't pose a threat to anybody or damage the firearm.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

my local shop generally zip ties the guns so that the action cannot be worked or the trigger pulled, but if you get to know them (and spend alot of money there, like I have), then they generally will cut the zip ties and let you dry fire it etc.

Also, they show you cool stuff that they got their hands on, like lever actions made before 1900 :eek5:

10. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Uhm, that would be intense stupidity right on the hairy edge of being a Bad IdeaTM.

You're not going to get much more than an initial impression in a gun store. You can expect to walk away with an overal impression of the feel, close inspection of how it's made, visual familiarization, an idea for how it sights, and maybe an idea of trigger operation if they allow dry-firing. Maybe they'll let you work the action some if you act like you have some idea of how guns work and don't make a fool of yourself.

11. chakup

chakup Guest

Alot of gun stores will exhibit shitty gun handling skills themselves, no chamber check, muzzle sweep, etc.

12. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

Yeah, I was at the local shop a few days ago. the showroom is long and narrow with counters lining both sides, it was pretty packed. I happened to look over my shoulder to a man that grabbed a rifle off the wall at the rear of the store and was pointing it right down the middle of the showroom so he could look through the scope. :ugh:

13. reman

reman New Member

if you want to aim, aim at at sprinkler or some where at the ceiling.

14. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I asked the owner of one gun shop if he minded me picking up a remington 870 and racking the slide. He said no problem, but before I had the chance too, he grabbed the gun and started furiously pumping it like he was masturbating and was sort of yelling "LOOK HOW SMOOTH THE ACTION IS!" over the signature slide racking sound of a pump action. He probably pumped the damn thing 20 times, then he started dry firing, pumping, dry firing and pumping for at least another 10. I was just standing there with the :hsugh: face and was like "Thanks!", then I left :hs:

15. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

Just ask first. They'll let you know if there is anything they want/don't want you to do.

One shop I was at I asked to check out a FN PS90. They asked me not to do move anything mechanical (no trigger pulls/racking etc). No big deal.

16. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:rofl: Holy shit. :bowrofl:

The Big5's around me keep trigger locks/zip ties on all their guns, but if I ask, then they usually take it off for me. The other local store doesn't really care for much except on certain guns, you cannot dry-fire.

17. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

One of my local shops doesn't allow the slides to slam forward.

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Oh hell. Search GlockTalk for a bunch of yutzes that don't allow their own slides to slam forward. It'll make you :ugh:

19. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Just look around the gun shop a little before asking to pick up. Make sure you pay attention to how the owners and workers act around the guns. Usually gives you a good idea of how they conduct business there. I went to a small shop in the middle of the country during black friday. They mustve gotten their friends to help out or something. This one fat guy that was behind the counter picked up a Glock and said yeah, I remember this. I used to keep one of these under my pillow. The whole time hes sweeping the gun and dry firing. Ypu can usually just pick a rifle at that shop and look at it. While at another shop that mainly does military rifle sales is run by an old guy. He has you ask to see anything in the place. He always watches you while you handle the guns like hes waiting for you to do something wrong.

20. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I understand that the only problem related to letting slide slam forward on a Glock is if you routinely use the release lever to slam it forward under tension - that could potentially round off the lever to the point that the slide will no longer lock back. Otherwise, it, uh, tends to slam forward during ordinary use...

21. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I don't know Glocks but you dont want to let the slide slam forward in a 1911 without chambering a round. Over time the hammer and sear will round each other off; also the locking lugs on the barrel can be damaged. :hs:

22. no7fish

no7fish New Member

The guy that was helping me shop for an AR over X-mas (they were all behind the counter) told me I was crazy for not being a particular fan of the bullpup design and proceeded to act mall-ninja crouched, creeping and tactical behind the counter and padding the trigger (the hammer was down) like he was clearing a room...

+1 for courtesy going a long way!

23. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Always check the chamber, even if they just did.

Don't point it anywhere unsafe.

If you don't know how to work the action, safety, etc, ASK. Guns are too expensive to buy broken.

24. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

:rofl:

25. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

Ask to look at an AR. Once you get it, proceed to clear the whole gun store room by room all tacti-cool like. Then tell him you dont like it and want to look at something else.