GUN Gun schematics for a school project.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NDSU4EVER, Oct 18, 2007.

1. NDSU4EVER

NDSU4EVER New Member

I'm in a class where we have learned how to model objects using the program Pro/Engineer.

As our final project we are to replicate an object of our choice...I thought it would be fun to do some sort of firearm.

So I was wondering if anyone knew where to find fully dimensioned schematics of a variety of guns.

Thanks

-Garrett

2. Furner

Furner New Member

good luck with getting suspended. i would recommend modeling something non-gun related.

3. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

here try this, its of an ar reciever, I don't think he would get in trouble for this since it isn't the whole gun.

http://biggerhammer.net/ar15/cad/

up to you btu the pro e files are there already.

4. Furner

Furner New Member

i was just thinking that maybe an AR receiver or an AK receiver or both might slip by.

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

what level of school are we talking about here?

Honestly firearms are such a hot topic and people can be very polarized that you need to consider the consequences of using a firearm as you object. A high school may very well suspend you for it and even in college a professor who hold a belief in gun control might not like it and that could affect your grade.

Honestly even though you are told that you can do an object of your choice, I would speak to your professor/teacher quietly after class and explain something like you have a hobby of marksmanship and you are a shade tree gunsmith doing a little work here and there on your own or a friends firearm. Explain that you think that using this project to layout a firearm would be very helpful to you hobby or perhaps that in some research of yours you have found some dimensions and ask the professor if they would be alright with you doing something firearms related.

I know some people will say guns are our right and we shouldn't have to ask permission to do something legal about them and I completely agree it annoys me that I think it is the best idea to ask first. However since it is the final and it is for a grade and views the grader holds can affect the way you project is graded I would ask first. Not for the firearms reason, but simply to know where to instructor stands if they are really cool with it then do it, but if they are hesitant you may wish to choose a subject less controversial, like say the block for a top fuel dragster or the tumbler mechanism for a lock. Since the AR-15 type platform and the 1911 are made by various companies if you choose a fire arms I would stick to those.

Cliffs: I recommend feeling out the instructors position on firearms before basing a good part of you grade on the blueprints for one.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

They might just slip by if there was nothing associated with them, but I feel pretty certain as a final that even if there is nothing submitted that identifies what it is, which there probably will be (maybe even reference to where you got you data or how you collected it) that if the instructor cannot readily identify what you can made they will ask you to explain what it is so that they know you just didn't slap a bunch of things together and turn it in.

7. NDSU4EVER

NDSU4EVER New Member

Firstly, its college...up in North Dakota.

Almost everyone at my school is a hunter...I was thinking about doing a upland shotgun or something along that lines. I'm an avid hunter myself, not some crazed maniac.

The teacher spoke of amazing projects done in the past...including a compound bow and hunting rifles, I don't think there would be anything wrong with doing a gun.

I want the schematics because then I could model it without actually needed a real gun...which I can foresee causing problems.

8. no7fish

no7fish New Member

You could def do some cool stuff with that. Are you talking a single part or a partial assy? If you are looking for high marks then find something you can parameterize so that changing one or 2 dims will alter the whole part to a different size. When I was in school we did a valve body so changing the bore dia would make the whole thing larger or smaller.

9. NDSU4EVER

NDSU4EVER New Member

I'm not sure if we are required to do the entire machine or if we could do only parts of it. Regardless I would still needs schematics to model them, which I've been having troubles finding.

My personal preference would be a Browning Gold Upland addition shotgun...but just about any semi-automatic shotgun would do the job.

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Biggerhammer has loads of schematics, couldn't you find any worthwhile there?