GUN Gun safety question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Mar 11, 2006.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

So I was down at my parents last weekend and found some old rifles in the shed, one was my grandfather's and one my dad's. My grand fathers is a fairly nice, but old Savage 340C gonna go shoot it today :cool:

The question I have though, is that my dad's was a Columbian Mauser rechambered to a 30.06...I knew neither had been shot in probably the past 15-20 years...but that mauser has probably NEVER been cleaned, when I was cleaning it this morning I was getting GREEN rust out of the barrel :wtc: . Any who, I'm sure the barrel is pitted and not very accurate since it got to that point of rusting, but I was still thinking of taking it out and shooting off a few rounds...how safe would this be? The action and bolt seem to be fine?

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

as long as there are no obstructions in the barrel, it should be fine.

try soaking the barrel in sweets solvent

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

its not green rust, its copper. take the bolt out , but a light in the chamber, and see if you can see any pits.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: green stuff would be old copper build up, pretty good chance there rust and pitting in there too though most likely the ammo run through it was corrosive and would of caused some damage to the rifle. Clean it up good and put a bore light in it and take a look.

5. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I knew the rust is copper rust from shooting previously, but I was afraid it could have possibly spread to the barrel. I was just shocked that it was in there long enough to rust.

Went out and shot it yesterday, shot fairly accurate as far as I could tell, it was pretty windy but at about 200yds it was going close to where I aimed

6. 7

It's not copper "rust", its basically copper jacket material i.e. fouling that has rubbed of in the barrel. It wont spread either :hsugh:

7. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

The copper turns to copper sulfide then is oxidized in air to copper sulfate, oxide = rust.

I didn't know if other metals would pick up rust by touching or not though :ugh:

8. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I've gone through half a bag of cotton patches (I think it was a 750 ct bag) and a quarter bottle of hoppes 9, and used the brass brush a few hundred passes through the barrel, and I'm still picking up green.

Is there any chance the barrel is copper? I'm going to sportsmans warehouse tonight to pick up some of that sweets solvent and I'll disassemble it and try letting it soak in that for a while.

Also, what's the best way to get rust off the other parts, something like CLR, blue wonder?

ibyoushouldknowyouownanxd

9. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

damn man, you just wasted a bunch of supplies. just shoot it.

10. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I'm anal about clean guns :hs:

I kept going thinking the end was near, I would use the brush and pull out a few patches of black then they'd be green, brush, black, green...over, and over, and over again

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

fine steel wool and blue wonder :wiggle:

12. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

just shoot the mother fucker

13. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I'm anal about cleaning my guns when I first bring them home. Once I finish with that first deep clean, though, I don't really worry about them too much.

14. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I usually do a through gun cleaning on each gone once a year then just do a basic field strip cleaning after every time I go out shooting.

Gotta wait till saturday to go shoot the rifles again, don't have time to drive out to BFE this week, and our indoor range is only .223 and smaller centerfire rounds

15. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I clean my rifles/shotguns about twice a year, handguns about once every two months. :hsugh:

16. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I'm beyond anal :wtc:

It'd be easier for me to quit smoking than to leave one of my guns dirty for more than a few days after shooting...I have cravings to clean my guns, haha

17. 7

If you really want to get it clean you should try Wipe Out; it's a foaming cleaner and works quite well.