GUN Gun Safe

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kill_turu_kill, Jul 29, 2004.

1. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

I'm starting to shop for a gun safe-I'd sure like to hear opinions of those who have 'em. I'm looking for something to store long guns.

My main focus is on keeping them out of the reach of my children and burglars.

2. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

1. buy more than you need. you will purchase more guns and want to keep the camera and other stuff in there.

2. buy it delivered.

3. shelves, there are always accessories for the guns you will want to store.

4. although mine is heavy with everything in it, i wish the metal it was made from was stronger.

5. key or combonation lock, mine has a key, not a bad thing but my friend has a combo lock on his and i like it better.

6. bins, mine has plastic bins on the door to store smaller stuff life rings and wattches. i like that option when i go to purchase another safe.

thats all i can think of right now, how large are you thinking?

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

4. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

5. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

Well, there are almost countless factors to weight in when shopping for a safe, but I'll give a few thoughts while I've got a minute....

First of all, consider the most likely home intruder. In my area (suburban), its most likely that whoever gets in to my home will probably some punk kids, who will likely take the electronics, jewelry, and any loose cash and unlocked guns laying around. If they see a big, intimidating safe, they'll probably say "fuck it" and leave with the smaller stuff.

A theif's worst enemy is TIME. The more difficult and time consuming you can make taking your guns, the safer they are. All the safe companies advertise a million and one different ways that the FRONT DOOR of the safe is thick and impenetrable -- Unfortunately, they're not going in through the door. They'll either dolly out the entire safe, or they'll take a fire axe to the side of the safe. The way to keep them from using a dolly is by getting a bigger safe than you need, and weighing down the bottom with 400 lbs of lead shot. The latter, taking a fire axe to the side of it, you'll have to HIDE the safe in your home somewhere -- build it in behind a closet with clothes in front of a false door or something, make a trick wall in your basement, whatever. Make the safe itself not easily found, then bolt it to the concrete foundation from the inside of the safe.

Size -- There's an old cliche..... figure out the size of the safe you need, then add 10% and double it..... words to live by. If you're into guns, you're probably aren't going to stop buying guns anytime soon, so go ahead and plan ahead...way ahead. "Gun guys" don't usually just wake up one day and decide to stop buying guns. Get the biggest safe that will fit in your home.

Accessories -- get a heat rod. You don't want your nice blued finish to pit in the safe from moisture. They cost $15 and they're worth their weight in gold. That's the only accessory I think you really need. I'm not a fan of the electronic keypad locking mechanism -- I'd rather have a good S&G combo lock on my safe.

That's it for now...I'll post more later if I think of anything else.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Get bigger than you think you will need. Safes hold less than they advertise and you'll probably add a few more firearms in the future.

The only bad part of having a large, fire-lined safe is moving it if you have to move.

If you have guns and children you need to lock up the ones that aren't on your person.

7. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

That reminds me....

Fire rating -- worthless if its in a basement. Most of the fire ratings just mean that the inside is lined with fire rated drywall. When was the last time you heard about an underground cement basement burning down? Maybe the finishing, but not the basement. The only other good it does is it makes it sounds solid if you knock on it (like you're knocking on a door). Someone may perceive that as intimidating if they're thinking about trying to break into it.

Moving it.... who cares, that's what moving companies are for.....

8. kill_turu_kill

Thanks for the insight guys. As planned now..

The safe will be bolted to the slab of my home.
    The safe will be hidden in a closet that is only ever-so-slightly bigger than the safe itself.
    The safe will not be fire rated.

I'm weighing costs vs. features now. I consider myself a "gun guy" (5 handguns, 7 long guns) and have owned firearms for over 20 years. My son is just at the age where he knows what a firearm is, so obviously, the time to act is yesterday.

9. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

I just found a sale at a local sporting goods shop this weekend and picked up one of these....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got the C30

Specs:
    C30 / 720 lbs / 60"x36"x24" / 1" door / 12 ga body / can fit roughly 30 guns, depending on interior configuration.

~$1200 shipped, and "installed" comes with a goldenrod and they'll bring it down to my basement.

Thinking about buying a second to put on the main level as a "decoy" with some junk in it.

10. kill_turu_kill

Reverend, that's a pretty impressive safe there.

I'm going to try and stay around $500 bucks if I can. I'm also going to look at used ones.

11. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I just want to restress this one. My old safe is about to become my ammo safe for this reason. Sucks to have a couple thousand dollars worth of guns sitting outside your safe because it's full.

:rant2:

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

my best friend has a safe that will hold about 20 rifles, something like 10 pistols, probably 100 AR mags (he's got about 50 in there right now, with a few AK mags, and a lot of beretta, FAL, and other assorted mags. and like some of you guys, he's out of room, even with that. the funny thing is, he's got several places in his house that have just as many rifles stowed away. then there's the ammo bunker in his crawlspace. there's over 20,000 rounds of assorted ammo under there, in sealed cans. and that's just the stuff he doesn't shoot. there's another 9k of Q3131A sitting out right now looking for a place to get put up. galyan's and bass pro know us pretty well at this point, every time they have a sale.

he's looking at upgrading his vault soon. it'd be nice to have an entire room that's got vault-level security, with the fire-proofing so you can store things like cameras, money, documents, etc.

13. kill_turu_kill

I've seen vault doors for sale, not that expensive. Of course, if all a thief has to do is kick down a side wall or use a sledge hammer to get in, it defeats the purpose.

I can only imagine what it costs to upgrade a room to vault level security.

14. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=231250

:bowdown:

15. footratfunkface

not nearly big enough. do that, on a large scale. then i'll be impressed. like a 6x10 room or something.

16. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

I wish I could show yall what I want to use as my gun safe. I work for a bank and in one of the branches there is this just ridiculously HUGE safebox room. The door is one of those old big round ones with like 4 combination dials. I want that.

17. footratfunkface

if it weren't in NYC, i'd say that the federal reserve branch that they're selling there would make the perfect house. period. it has blast-proof windows, 160-something parking spaces on-site (that's nice in NYC, from what i hear), a couple of parking spaces INSIDE the building, two vaults, and a gun turret on the top of the building.

18. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Mine for my Pistol.. Hoping both fit :x:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  19. kill_turu_kill

A friend of mine bought a safe from a local safe company. It was used for a local gem and diamond show, so he got it at a discount, and it's pretty friggin' impressive. One of the things that they rate safes on is something to the affect of how long it can withstand a cutting torch, or something like that. His was in the 10-15 minute neighborhood, if I remember correctly. No way I can afford something like that. He had it put in as his house was being built.

20. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

yea I need a new "safe" too... I have one of those cheapo homak cabinets... I'm gonna get one of these I need more room.

[​IMG]

not a real safe, but when I get my own house someday I'mma get a real one with fire protection and all that...

21. kill_turu_kill

<< Packing Major Heat

Seriously, I think I found the safe I'm going to get. I'll post pictures when I take delivery, i.e.,when I can convince a couple of friends to help me bring it home.

22. 01mustang

01mustang Kiss teh kitty!

:coold:

Price?

23. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

around $160 on Ebay

Its a 4 digit code touch pad and the top is spring loaded