GUN Gun safe: What do I want to look for?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Joe_Cool, May 7, 2009.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I've got 8 guns now, which I keep on a shelf in a locked closet. Obviously that's not good enough, and I think it's time I invest in a safe. I don't want to go crazy and spend $3000 on one, though.

Here's what I've got so far:

It should hold 5 rifles and have shelf space for 2 pistols - I always have one with me, so I don't need all of them locked up. Plus in a pinch I could leave the shotgun or a rifle in the closet for easier access, so I could probably get by with 4 rifles/2 pistols.
    Obviously I want it pre-drilled to bolt it to the floor and wall. It would suck if you could just pick up my safe and carry it out. :o
    I don't need a quick-release or thumbprint mechanism, since I always have a gun on me. It won't be a "OMG I NEED MY GUN NOW" safe.
    Fire isn't a big concern for me right now, so I don't need a 7 hours @ 3000° safe.

Other than that, what features are MUST-HAVE, and what can I cut out to save money? If you disagree with my list above, feel free to say so and why. :o

I'm planning to go to a locksmith shop near my job as soon as I get off of work.

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

To be honest, unless you have some NFA stuff - a fairly barebones gun safe that's the size you need will be fine.

Try putting it in an area in a room that it's hard to get it into....which will make it hard to get it out of. Unless somebody cleans your house out while you're on vacation, I think you'll be okay.

It's retarded to have a gun safe that costs $1000 when that's how much half your guns cost.

Wal-Mart has a pretty good selection of gun safes, and so does Cabela's. I'd go there first.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

if you aren't going to go big, getting a real safe - don't waste your money and spend more than $1000. Don't buy some shit Ft. Knox for $2500 that a pro could get through in 2 minutes.

Buy a <$1000 RSA and save the cash for a rated safe.

4. Joe_Cool

Nice. Yeah, I'm hoping to find something for around $500, or even less if it's not a flimsy piece of crap. I just want to discourage common thieves, not stop the Marines from getting into it.

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I've been doing lots of research on safes. Most "gun safes" aren't going to offer you much in the way of actual protection. They use thin gauge sheet metal for the body, which can be chopped through with a fire axe in less than a few minutes. If you are looking for something for storage and to keep the hands of kids out, I'd just look at a Cannon or something similar for under $1000. It doesn't really matter if the safe is $800 or $2500, for the most part they are all the same thing. You can look at the Amsec BF series, it's one of the better made "gun safes", but would top out around the $3k mark.

If you want a real safe for burglary protection, get one with a body made of plate steel. Problem is, they cost.......a lot. These go for $4k + easily.

Edit: Fuck, Harold beat me.

6. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

You'll be hard pressed to find one for $500 unless it's tiny and crappy. Home Depot and Lowe's sell "security containers" which have very thin side walls and weigh less than 100 lbs.

If you could spend $700 you'd have far better options to choose from

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_36302_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11379012&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

7. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

8. Joe_Cool

hmmm, that cannon isn't bad. How do you tell if it's available in a store?

9. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4244347

This is something that a friend of mine has. It's cheap and will hold all your rifles. It's not super secure versus informed people, but, it will keep average meth freaks and strange homeless people out.

Like I said, I think you need to keep the value of your collection in mind. Kind of like a rifle:glass ratio.

That safe locks and holds guns.

So, as you can see - there's stuff that will do what you want all the way down to $200.

10. Joe_Cool

11. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

lol yeah

Hey, if they don't know it's there. :dunno: I guess that would be a pretty common place to check during a burglary though.

12. Joe_Cool

Nice. I can't tell from the pic, but that's probably one of the thin sheet metal ones, right?

13. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Yeah. Like I said, it's basically 'hey, I'm a box. I lock.'

If you want something that's actually like, 'a safe', those are pretty expensive.

14. Joe_Cool

That might do in the short term until I'm ready to drop more money on a better one. :o

It's better than what I'm using now.

15. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

If you can get it in a really confined space a cheap one could work alright.

16. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

There's slightly more expensive Sentry and Liberty safes that have combination locks and stuff.

I actually linked you to the incorrect one. The one my buddy has looks just like that but has a combination tumbler lock. That one has a key. I don't like that one on closer inspection.

17. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

18. Joe_Cool

That's a shame, because I'd go buy it right now if it was available. :o

Looks like it's got 8 across the back, with 3 on each side. I wish there was a pic with the door more open.

19. He probably delivered it to you so he knows where you live. And since it was his safe, he knows the combo too. :noes:

20. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

when i finally buy a house... i'm searching antique stores, old business that's no longer in business, pawnshops, garage sales, etc. for an old real safe.

21. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i've seen a well postioned stamped steal gun cabinet stop a thief, because they couldn't get their prybar at the door.

22. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

well played

23. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:rofl:

Exactly. Kinda hard to swing a fire axe in a closet. :noes:

24. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

You can get some good deals like that. A buddy of mine bought a Mosler safe off Craigslist, a business had gone under and some wholesaler bought the property. He paid $2k, the thing is huge, and is made from plate steel. If the safe had been new, it would have cost $8k easily, possibly more.

25. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Been thinking about one of these for a while now. I don't need the super, fancy thing, just something that tells my boys, "dad will know."