GUN Gun Safe v.firstone

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by XR250rdr, Jul 21, 2007.

1. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

What should I be looking to pay for a small gun safe? What are the brands to look for/stay away from? I'm storing rifles so a desktop box wont work.

Local shop has an American Security safe for $500. It measures 54hx18wx16d.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

$500 and up is about where the prices start on any decent quality 7-8 gun safe. Which model safe is it?

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Better then the walmart type safes, should stop most casual burglars, if your willing to spend more on one I would though.

5. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I just bought a 16 gun safe the other week for $360. It's a Stack-On (but WAIT!) it's not a cabinet, it's an actual safe. It has all the standard locking lugs and deadbolts, combo lock, etc. It was almost identical to a 14-gun Gander Mtn safe they had for 450 so I saved the 100 for ammo...

I def want to get a better one but right now this suited my price-size-levelofdeterrent compromise. It is not fireproofed is the main thing but the ones anywhere close to that were only minimally fire resistant.

Anyway, the safe you linked to looks pretty nice and I think the biggest thing to look out for is the temp rating if you want it fire resistant. Otherwise most of the similarly priced safes are going to offer similar locking mechanisms with similar wall construction.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Found a Liberty at Costco 17cu ft for $600 delivered. I'm going to keep looking around though. Thanks for the input.

7. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

If you have any plans on moving around over the next few years I'd recommend getting one of the "lighter" safes and then getting a heavier/bigger one when you have more life-stability. I have no idea what your life situation is, this is just something I learned the hard way. :)

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Yea I'll probably be moving sometime in the next few years. I'm probably going to leave it at my gf's parents' house so I can move it a bit easier.

I talked to my mom and my grandfather might be able to get me a used one. Dont know anything about it though.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how good are the 8-gun stack on cabinates? if i bolted it to a stud or something would that be a decent temp set up for a college student? :x:

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

to the motherfucking TOP!

11. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I personally would say yes, as long as it's bolted. It's FAR better than nothing so if it's all that suits your situation then do it. In any case they're really a deterrent but that's probably all you need unless you have a lot of stuff that someone knows about and really wants... A good crowbar and 20 mins will likely have it but if it's bolted then no one's running off with it in 30 secs.

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yeah, i completely understand this :hs: its just that any type of cabinate would be better than 3-4 rifles proped up in my closet :o

13. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

would they be able to ship that to me? :hs: there are no academy sports stores in CA

16. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Running a cable through an eyebolt and the magwell/breech is a $50 solution.
    Not optimal, but better than nothing - kid safe too.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Check walmart sometimes they have stackon stuff I think, not showing any on there website but shipping from acadamy for something that big would probably be alot might just be better off getting this local if they dont have stockon there anymore. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4324485

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:cool: idea, but i dont have to worry about kids. im just looking for that extra level of security.
    thanks for the info.

19. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Home Depot near me has a similar Sentry safe (14 gun I think) for about $360. Def something with bolts and locking lugs is going to be MILES better than a simple cabinet but again, just about anything is better than stashing them in a closet, it'll foil probably 90% of the basic snatch-grabs. But yeah, that $250 stack on is a pretty decent option, about the same as the one I just got but 6 less guns.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just make sure to bolt it down, I know a couple people with the stack on's and w/o bolting it down whats the point a couple guys can carry it away. But yeah the stack on should stop most casual burglars but if its someone who knows what you have and is prepared for it then it wont be that difficult to get into.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd: i dont really want to dump a lot of cash into a huge safe (yet) because a) i cant afford it now and b) i'm not at a perminant location.

i think the stack on cabinate would be perfect for both of those points, and once i get into a more stable location (i.e. not in college) i can get a nice vault :naughty:

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats really my biggest concern; im not anticipating that one of my friends will rob me, but if they tell their friend, and their friend tells a cousin - word spreads :hs:

23. Dumbstixlars

24. Dumbstixlars

Are you talking about the safes, or the cabinets. The safes seem like they would be heavy enough.

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

no retailers within 200 miles :rofl:

edit: oh, i didnt see the list of retailers, i just did the search. costco or walmart is probably my best bet :dunno: