GUN Gun safe advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by negative zero, Jan 29, 2006.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I made my way to a walmart across town and found this safe. Click Here.
    Also here is the manufacturers site. Click.

They have three left. On sale for 599. The guy at the sporting good said they are the last ones left and will be marked down this thursday or next thursday but he didn't know waht the $$ would be.
    Anyone care to take a guess how much WM would knock off of them?
    I also considered calling the store manager and asking him if he had any more info on the price and would he be willing to go ahead and mark it down.
    Does anyone have this particular safe? How do you like it?
    One bad thing about it is I was hoping to put it in a walk in closet in my pc room. It measures a little too wide to fit though. So I would have to just put it in my bedroom in the corner.

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I would imagine the mark down amount will come from the home office.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Yeah, that's what the guy said. I was hoping someones here may know off-hand a rough amount that WM would knock off. Maybe an employee or ex-emp.
    I'm just not sure if it's worth 600 right now. I could chance it and wait a week or so but then they all might be gone.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

Sentry safes are chinese made garbage. If you're actually worried about theft then don't even consider them. For keeping out friends that come over, kids in your house, etc. then they're fine but if you're serious about theft and fire protection, don't even waste your money.

$599 for a piece of crap Sentry... spend an extra ~$300 and you can get a high quality American made Liberty or Champion safe with a lifetime warranty that won't sound like hollow sheet metal when you knock on it.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not a fan of electronic locks :o Also Accord is right. Sentry safes can be opened very easily, will not stop any determined thief.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks Accord. I appreciate your insight. This really isn't to keep a professional thief out. It would slow him down by a few minutes but he could still get into it, I'm sure. Maybe an inexperienced thief or neighborhood thugs Wouldn't be able to get into it. After all, I have insurance on all my guns so I'm not to concerned about that.
    It's more for keeping out my son (as he gets older, he's only one now).

And I would spend up to 1000, but i can't find anything locally for under 1200 or so. I know you (or some) will say spend the extra 200 but I had to draw a line somewhere. Actaully 1000 is over the line so I've already stretched it.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

You don't have to spend $1000+ to get a good safe. You can pick up a Champion 23 gun fire safe for $899 which is infinite times better than any Sentry. There are also Liberty safes and other high quality brands in that price range as well.

I just went to Champion's website and there are 10 Champion safe dealers in Georgia, give the ones near you a call: http://www.championsafe.com/dealermap.html#Georgia

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I don't really care for the electronic locks either. I think it does have a key somewhere in case the electronics malfunction.
    Still on the fence about this. If I can get it for ~400, I may do it.

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Good call Accord.
    I went to Sportsman Link and that's where the lowest was ~1200. Maybe they don't stock the "cheaper" ones. Give me a model # of a good one and I will call them tomorrow and see if they can order it and for how much.

thank you.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

If you have a high quality electronic lock made by a company like Sargent & Greenleaf then you've got nothing to worry about, but a cheap no-name chinese made electronic lock like on the Sentry's aren't worth it and I wouldn't trust them.

What if it's 2am and you had to get into your safe in an emergency and the Sentry electronic lock malfunctioned because a 2 year old in a chinese sweatshop didn't solder the wires properly?

11. Accord

Accord New Member

The Champion SP-23 shouldn't be more expensive than $899, that's what I got mine for.

If someone is selling the Champion SP-23 for ~$1,000+ then it means it probably has an electronic lock on it since those are a $150 option, or the dealer is just marking up the price really badly. With no electronic lock, you should not pay more than $899.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

13. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I'll call them and ask them if they can get it and how much. They generally do not have very good prices so I will be surprised to get it for what you paid.
    Thanks for the info/links though.

14. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I forgot that they are open on Sundays. I called and they guy said they don't carry the sp-23. I then asked what he did have for ~1000. He said "nothing". he then added he had no idea when they would get other models in or if they have ordered other models.
    That's the problem with that place, they jsut aren't very helpful.
    I know one other place I can call but they are not open today.

15. Accord

Accord New Member

Call all 10 of the dealers in Georgia if you have to, even if you have to drive a decent amount, it's worth it.

16. reman

reman New Member

17. millero

millero Aluminum Member

I got 3 Winchester 24gun safes from WM for 500 apiece. They are really pretty nice for the money and are heavy and solid feeling.

18. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Are there any online stores that ship safes? I know the shipping price may bring the price way up but I was just curious.

19. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

does anyone make an RFID safe?

20. Accord

Accord New Member

Yes, there are a countless number of online safe dealers that will ship a safe to you. Delivery costs range from anywhere between $150 and $300 depending on where it's being shipped as well as the size and weight.

21. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If you are a Sams Club or Costco member both have some good quality safes on their websites in the 800-1000 range delivered. Sams has some "winchester" safes that I have heard good things about and they are made here local to me.