GUN Gun retard here. Need help with shotgun. Remington 11-87.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Tard Carnival, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

It probably just needs to be cleaned, but I'm asking because I have no idea.

It seems like something is a little weird in the stock where it holds shells. When I pull back on the whatever to chamber another shell, it catches, keeping anything from cycling, and now it won't properly accept shells into the stock... under loading whatever, in fact scratching them pretty badly and stopping them dead right about where the brass begins.

I've only put about 30 rounds through it since I got it, but I have no idea how long it's been since dad (who gave it to me) cleaned it.

Do these sound like problems with a dirty gun or a malfunctioning one?

2. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

I took off the stock for shits and don't see anything on the outside that would be obviously catching, but then I don't know enough to figure if that's where any problems might even be. :o

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

11-87 has a bolt-catch that will hold the action open if the magazine is empty. Was the mag-tube empty when you cycled the action? If so... that is why it didn't close.

4. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Sorry, I'm describing this terribly.

I'm familiar with the bolt-catch you're talking about, but I was actually having trouble pulling the bolt back to get the shell out of the chamber without firing it.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

:lol:

So what is the current state that the gun is in right now? Is there a shell in the chamber? Is the action open or closed? Are their shells in the mag tube?

6. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

This thing might be fairly well fucked up. Here is the process I just went through:
    -Put 1 shell in chamber, let bolt close.
    -Put 1 shell in stock.
    -Pull back on bolt to cycle shells, works well enough while pulling back, but when the first one came out, the second one moved into position, then never properly made its own way into the chamber. The bolt catch locked even though there was a shell waiting. :mad:

edit: And once I manually unlocked the bolt, I tried to again pull back and it caught a few times before releasing the shell. :wtc:

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

First recommendation is to stop fucking with it if you're using "live" ammo.

Sounds like the action might be binding up a little. Probably just a little dry &
    rough especially if this is an older hand me down that doesn't get used a lot.

Factory manual is here. http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf

Break it down & clean it. By some "snap caps" (i.e. dummy ammo) to do basic function checking after you've reassembled.

8. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Noted and thank you.

I might go to walmart right now.