GUN Gun Newb w/ questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Jan 8, 2006.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

My home was recently broken into (Xmas Eve, I was away, nothing taken due to security system) and it cemented my decision to purchase a firearm (or two). I want a shotgun in the bedroom and a handgun hidden elsewhere in the house. I am not concerned with "little people" getting at the weapons as I am unmarried and not planning to have children for at least five years. After reading many threads (I'm a lurker), I have learned that as far as shotguns are concerned, Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870 are usually primary recommendations. My first question is: I'm noticing a limit of only three in the chamber...why? Legal reasons? If so, can that be circumvented with an aftermarket modification?

As far as a handgun is concerned, I've read recommendations for Sigs and Glocks. But it all comes down to what fits best in my hand and which weapon allows me to hit my target. Still, I would like to know what effect different caliber rounds have on the firing experience? Do they allow for more stopping power? What about the change in recoil?

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Only 3 shells? I thought that was only in the UK and primarily for hunting reasons. :dunno: Like you said it comes down to what you shoot best with in my opinion, but you might find this interesting: http://www.theboxotruth.com/

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

1) Some states limit the # of rnds in the mag when hunting birds. In CA, its 2 in the mag +1. Most shotguns come with a long wooden dowl in the mag to keep it at 2 rds. You can just take it out easy, like on my M500, remove barrel, turn shotgun upside down, shake, and remove the dowel from mag, reassemble.

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'd consider 9mm. With good ammo it has stopping power and it's cheaper to get range ammo so you'll be able to shoot it more. .40 is what a lot of police departments used but I wouldn't consider it that much better than 9mm.

Here's a link with some caliber and ammo percent stopping powers: http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

In terms of recoil I'd say .40>.45>9mm as what I've felt when I've shot all three.

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

As far as handgun calibers are concerned, larger/more powerful rounds will obviously be more effective while also obviously having more recoil (though gun design and weight can have a major effect on the perceived "kick"). Easy starting points would be a 9mm automatic or .38 Special revolver. Generally, go as big as you feel comfortable shooting... bigger is better provided you can still hit the target reliably. Find a range with a good rental selection and go nuts, you'll get a feel for the differences quickly.

Might be worth considering a revolver over an automatic for reliability if it's to be a "drawer gun," but really, you ought to be out shooting regularly and cleaning and oiling it :)

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What state you in? As far as I know no states have 3 round limit on shotguns, if its just for home defense you can pick up a cheap mossberg 500 or mossberg maverick in a home defense configuration(20" barrell, Pistol grip) for around $200, I believe they both hold 6 rounds in that config.

For handguns first figure out which ones fit your hands best goto a shop and fondle them all, glock, sig, walther, hk, springfields are all fine choices for auto's, 9mm will have the lowest recoil, try to shoot a few different caliber see what you can handle best. I wouldnt go any smaller then 9mm for an auto or 38 for a wheel gun.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Remember you really need to take some classes and practice alot. Short of that you're right go to the range and try some out. 9mm should be a great round, .40 and .45acp are also popular.

8. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

For what it's worth, the guy I shot with 9mm rounds had absolutely NO arguements about the stopping effectiveness of the round.

9. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

My Mossberg came straight from the dealer with a normal stock and a pistol grip, 18.5" barrel, holds 5 shells in the tube and one in the chamber. As mentioned before, it came with the wooden dowel (commonly reffered to as a "plug") which is used to limit the number of shells in the gun to abide by certain hunting laws. Some communities have assault weapon laws that also affect the gun's capacity. For more info on that, check out www.packing.org as they are the best resource for local and state laws.

For a handgun - definately find an indoor range and rent everything that looks interesting. I've found out that I personally don't like the feel of revolvers, and that all of the guns that are suppose to be "the best" out there I can't hit anything with. For accuracy, I did better with a cheap CZ and a Sig than I ever could with an HK USP, which until I actually shot I was in love with. I would also try different calibers (if possible) in the guns you like. Obviously, a bigger round is going to do more damage, so if you can step up to a larger round without losing accuracy and you can deal with the recoil, all the better. Start off with 9mm though to stay on the cheap side until you start to figure out what works for you.

Last time I went to a range, I tried out a Springfield 1911. It looked beat to hell, and when the guy behind the counter picked it up he noticed that something needed fixed on it. He played with it for a few minutes, then handed it to me. I ended up being able to hit exactly where I wanted every time, I've never come close to being as accurate with any other handgun I've shot.

Cliff's: Try out different things, you never know what might end up working the best for YOU.

10. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

go with a remington 870. the aftermarket is endless.

as far as pistols, if you have a little past with a firearm, go with a small revolver. in the heat of a battle, it would be pretty hard to fuck it up. you just pull the trigger.

or get a glock and some training. if you have or get a girlfriend, make her get training with you. your guns are going to be useless if she doesnt know how to use them and your not around and something happens.

11. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Excellent information from everyone; Thank you. I have almost no firearms experience other than holding a WWII-era 1911 and plan to take some classes and molest many handguns before making a purchase.