GUN gun laws in uSA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ae86drift, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

dunno about it at all (Seeing i live in aussieland) but im intrigued...

always loved shooting (joined army cadets,,, which is like a weekend army thing for schoolkids) got on the shhoting team had fun there until i could no longer attend

would love to rec shoot like you lot can over there on the weekend and such.. but you know... no guns here...

my question is, are milspec rifles like the M4 and the SCAR purchasable by civiliians? is there any restrictions on what models you can and cannot OWN?

just curious ;) thought id ask the people who actually live there :big grin:

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

The civilian version of the M4, the AR-15, is considered (by some) to be the most popular rifle in America right now. The AR-15 is not fully automatic like the M4 is, and that's the main difference between the two.

There are a whole bunch of manufacturers of ARs (well over a dozen). You can get one for as low as $600 or up to over $3000.

I don't have one... yet. :big grin:

3. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

We can own anything here. I've got a 37mm PAK cannon in my backyard. America. Fuck yeah!

Kidding. We can own a lot of different weapons depending on what state we reside in. M4 copies are obtainable and generally cost less than $1000 USD. SCAR, not sure about. I'm sure if they made a semi auto version, we could buy it.

4. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

so the general rule is no full auto assault rifles?

5. TURTL3

TURTL3 blah

yeah basically the only thing you cant get is fully-auto anything

6. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Not quite. Many states do allow automatic weapons. It just requires more paperwork and time to obtain it.

7. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

ok, so which state is most gun friendly?

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont think the SCAR is available yet. But you can get quite a few various military style rifles in semi auto, some you can also get in full auto, the 1986 ban stopped any new full autos from being available, but if you got the cash for it they're plenty of various pre 86's you can buy in full auto, m16's, AK's, H&K's, etc.

9. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Don't know for certain, but if I had to guess it would be New Hampshire.

10. TURTL3

TURTL3 blah

If the gun was made before 1986, then its called "transferable", and with a lot of paperwork and money can be owned and sold by citizens.

this page explains it pretty well..
    http://www.usautoweapons.com/?page_id=135

11. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

ah cheers for that!

12. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

It's hard to say which one state is the most gun-friendly. In reality, the majority of states are "gun-friendly" in that they will issue conceal-carry licenses without too much fuss, will allow AR-15s and AKs and other evil rifles, etc...

This site lists which states allow full-auto, short-barreled rifles, suppressors, and others...
    http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you have the money, you can buy just about anything.

MAC-10s really arn't all that expensive. $3000 will buy you a full auto MAC-10

14. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Worst state is California. It's border line communist

15. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

You can still have AR's and hi cap mags though can't you?

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think cali and jersey are the only ones with out right bans on "assault weapons"

17. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

There is ZERO conceal-carry in Illinois, though...

18. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

We can carry and you can't. That's all you need to know.

Nah, just messin.

19. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Illinois and Cali are about the same. And Mass. is pretty bad.

20. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Most of the firearms on the market (rifles, shotguns, revolvers, pistols, etc) are designed for the American market and readily available to most Americans. Most states do not have special restrictions or licensing. I could go buy almost any conceivable single-shot, repeating, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, etc firearm on the market today and it would probably take longer to fill out the paperwork for the background check than it would take to call in the background check.

There are some oddities in the law prohibiting the import of firearms, parts, and ammunition that would otherwise be legal in the US if made in the US, but the domestic mrket usually supplies the demand if great enough.

In general, owning firearms that are fully automatic, have bores greater than 0.500", are classified as short-barreled rifles/shotguns, or have sound suppressors are difficult and/or expensive for the average American to obtain. However, assuming your home state is not overly restrictive and you lack a criminal background, owning these is mostly an exercise in patience, paying the necessary fees, and having deep enough pockets to participate in a fiarly closed market. Items covered by the National Firearms Act are registered with the authorities and limited to those items registered prior to the 1986 passage of the act; as such their prices constantly increase and selling (formally "transferring") them is difficult, time-consuming, and expensive.

More destructive weapons such as genuine artillery, explosive devices, missiles, the more exotic military vehicles, etc theoretically can be owned by the average person, but the permits are exceptionally difficult to obtain and pretty much never issued to the average person without employment by arms manufacturers or exceptional political connections.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Illinois is nowhere near as bad as california, they aren't even close. We don't have concealed carry, no class 3 stuff is allowed, and people in chicago are fucked. If you don't live in chicago though, its pretty decent. We have relaxed rules on transporting guns, we have no state bans on any magazines or weapons, we have no stamping bills, no gun registration, no safety testing, no max purchases of handguns, no restrictions on c&r's, etc. Most of the state is pretty much rural farmland america and fairly gun friendly.

22. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I'm hoping that one day I'll have the kind of money to hiring a lobbying group to work towards an overturn of the 1986 NFA registration closure (fucking Hughes ammendment) and easing up some of the 'destructive devices' laws.

That or I'll just try to get a job as corporate counsel for an arms manufacturer and pull some strings to get all the permits to do whatever the fuck I want. I'll just have a lot of 'prototype' weapons from the factory that just happen to be sitting in my walk-in safe.

23. MTech

MTech New Member

Somebody explain the whole auto band to men because it doesn't make sense when I see guys arguing we're supposed to have the right to be equally armed as our govt..yet we can't have remotely near the shit they get.

24. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Basically in 1986 there was a big firearms bill moving through the Congress. It was largely aimed at getting the ATF off the backs of gun store owners. Often they'd come in to do inspections multiple times a year and the owners were spending more time doing paperwork for the ATF than they were selling firearms, so they bitched to the NRA, who lobbyed for it to be fixed.

The main provisions of the bill were to limit the ATF to one inspection a year (more if there was something fishy). However, late at night, a guy by the name of William Hughes proposed an ammendment that would close the NFA registry.

Side note, when the NFA was passed it basically created a requirement for all Title III weapons to be registered.

With the registry closed no new Title III firearms could be registered, without registration they're illegal, thus no civilian ownership of Title III weapons made after the ban.

The full bill of course had more in it than just the stuff with the ATF, but that was one of the big reasons it came about.

25. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

you can in Texas just got to pay for a permit and a Tax and get approved by the local Sheriff :wavey: