GUN Gun Law Update — Early Brady Plans Revealed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 1, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2008/12/01/gun-law-update-early-brady-plans-revealed/

2008-12-01 at 2:45 am · Filed under Vox Populi

Push to end all private sales tops list

“Universal background checks for EVERY gun sold in this country.”

[NOTE: Don't forget to recognize and celebrate Bill of Rights Day, Dec. 15; in Phoenix we will be at the Wrigley Mansion starting at 5:30 p.m., you're invited, for details or to RSVP: http://www.gunlaws.com/newstuff.htm]

Plenty of gun-ban speculation is flying. I have this quote direct from Sarah Brady in a letter addressed to me:

“On Election Day, we helped deliver a strong victory for President-Elect Barack Obama and Vice-President-Elect Joe Biden. They will be two of the most powerful allies we have ever had.”

This is what Obama meant when he told you to your face that he respects the Second Amendment. He is the acknowledged champion of the anti-rights gun-ban movement.

POINT ONE

Most of you already know that phony talk about “gun-show-loopholes” was a smokescreen. Sarah and her team now confirm this. They are planning for: “universal background checks for EVERY gun sold in this country.” (Her emphasis, not mine).

Gun shows, she says, are now merely “included” in that plan, this will appear as proposed legislation shortly after inauguration day.

Smart money says it will be fast tracked — so be sure to join, re-up, or get friends to join gun-rights groups to aid the battle. The pro-rights groups are the main chance to slow it down and re-tool it to whatever extent possible. Don’t wait.

Find your state and national gun-rights groups here: http://www.gunlaws.com/links

For ideas on what one person (that’s you pal) can do: http://www.gunlaws.com/Tactics That Work.htm

The new gun-tracking plan will require somewhat complex legislation, to mix personal or private sales, and transfers between family members, in the centrally managed FBI NICS system for licensed dealers. A mechanism to accomplish that means making government larger and hiring more help.

The rhetoric has now expanded from phony “gun-show loopholes” to a new “deadly loopholes” idea: “We know Obama and Biden share our commitment to closing deadly loopholes in our gun laws.”

If there was any doubt amongst the public about Obama’s “support” for rights, the Bradys, now that the election is over, express the truth: “The Obama-Biden ticket won convincingly while clearly supporting gun laws.” Everyone supports gun laws that disarm violent criminals. The Bradys though are talking about something else — gun laws that disarm, encumber or infringe on the rights of the innocent. They plan on government tracking of every firearm in private hands.

POINT TWO

Campaign talk about making the phony “assault-weapons” ban permanent has morphed into “enact a stronger, comprehensive federal ban on military-style assault weapons.” They’re drafting it right now (Congress doesn’t draft these things, interest groups do and hand it to them on platters).

The only thing that could be “stronger” than Clinton’s total ban on the sale of new products would be to go after existing firearms in civilian hands, which Clinton left alone. That would require contrabanding, outright confiscations or at a minimum, registration schemes. We’ll have to wait for the bill to drop to see what they plan.

“Comprehensive,” and “military-style” seem like code words for “more guns banned,” far greater lists and categories than Clinton was able to get enacted. Normal capacity magazines like police use will undoubtedly be included, and if the past is prologue, the lists of guns will include standard household firearms the public has safely owned for decades, with little concern for criminals who misuse firearms (already strictly illegal and widely unenforced). Never forget — “assault” is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

I’ve said it before and it bears repeating. If the Bradys get Obama to go after CRIMINAL MISUSE of firearms, they’ll have widespread support from NRA types and the marksmanship community as a whole. If they instead go after private property the community already peaceably owns, they’ll meet outraged resistance.

POINT THREE

Sarah Brady is asking Obama to “close the deadly holes in our current laws that allow terrorists to buy guns.” This is a solution in search of a problem, since terrorists already can’t legally buy guns. Brady president Paul Helmke talks instead of blocking “suspected terrorists.” That could mean anyone.

It’s a back door way to vastly expand the NICS Index — the list of prohibited possessors that reportedly includes more than ten million Americans. Once you’re on, it can be next to impossible to get off, so making it larger serves the goal of the gun banners wonderfully. Many (but not all) currently in the NICS index are violent felons and other low-lifes who belong there.

It’s not completely clear who they’d like to add, but in the past, an effort was made to grant arbitrary authority to the Attorney General to add names to terrorism “watch lists.” This would prevent those people from air travel and place other restrictions on civil liberties. Sort of like Guantanamo detainees without the need to be caught shooting at Americans on a battlefield. Anyone on that list would be automatically banned by a NICS check, and those checks would no longer be limited to retail purchases from dealers.

FYI, if you’re placed on the NICS list, it suggests you’re a prohibited possessor whether you are or not, so any guns or ammo you already own or even touch could then constitute a felony. To a zealous cop or judge, a NICS listing might require you to prove your innocence, a nightmare of legal problems. That list should be scrupulously accurate and easily corrected, tasks government is known to do worse than their “management” of the economy.

Just for the record, any actual terrorist is totally banned from buying or having guns in this country, but they could hardly care less about lists kept in West Virginia by the FBI. Terrorist by definition means “We smuggle weapons you can’t even get, easier than you can buy a bag of cocaine in any America city.”

An aside — these “terrorists” (generally a code name for radical muslims) are determined to kill and blow up everything they can, and they prove it around the world constantly, you needn’t take my word for it. They haven’t done it here since 9/11 for one main reason — president Bush, although hampered with constant attacks in the media (which have now swayed large swaths of the public) has been killing them off as fast as he can, before they can strike us here. He may take a lot of flack, and be looked down upon by many, but he just may be remembered as one of the greatest presidents we have ever had the luck to have. Please don’t write to complain to me about that. I’m just noting that the muslims are killing everywhere but here, and president Bush is leading that charge. What’s the bumper sticker? “Saving your butt, like it or not.” OK, so he says he doesn’t read a lot, that’s another discussion.

POINT FOUR

Sarah (Brady, not Palin) included one bald deception in her message by saying “we achieved a major victory when the first federal gun law in over twelve years passed.” She refers to the NICS improvement act, for which both the Bradys and NRA took credit. It expands the NICS index by helping states add nut cases (the non-technical description) to the list (a rule Brady rightly applauds). It also lets falsely accused or no-longer-ineligible people get off the list, which you couldn’t do previously (a rule NRA rightly applauds).

The 12-year part is laughably inaccurate, but no one expects the media to point out the lie so I will, for just this century, including:

–The PATRIOT Act (which redundantly disarms terrorists and broadens the definition of who the government can label and treat as a terrorist);

–The Aviation and Transportation Security Act (which arms passenger pilots and eventually cargo pilots);

–The Homeland Security Act (which arms all sorts of new federal agents);

–The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (HR218, which arms retired, off-duty and traveling police officers of every description across all state lines, exactly what the Second Amendment is supposed to but no longer protects for the public);

–The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Firearms Act (which protects firearm manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits);

–The Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act (which stops authorities from gun confiscations after storms and disasters like Katrina);

–And that’s just the bigger ones in the past eight years.

What hasn’t been passed “after eight long years of watching the gun lobby run loose in the halls of power” (her words) was a single federal law that directly improved the rights of gun owners in their normal every day lives. Not one.

Authorities got armed and protected. Manufacturers got protected. Cured or falsely accused nut cases got a redress of grievances. Storm-disaster victims got something. But your routine human right to carry, right to defend yourself, right to travel armed, right to shop away from home, right to get a gun from your dad or brother in another state, right to get a tax break for going to the range, or for teaching your kids how to shoot safely — no laws like that passed through Congress in all those years. What a lost opportunity while we ran loose in the halls of power. If only we had some of these laws: http://www.gunlaws.com/sunshin.htm

Sworn to protect, preserve and defend the Constitution, Congress has done nothing of the sort when it comes to your Second Amendment rights. That’s a national disgrace, and it will be sorely felt when Brady and her evil cohorts savagely attack what rights you have remaining.

POINT FIVE

Suggestion for action –

1 - ALERT your local marksmanship clubs and fellow marksman by emailing them this Gun Law Update;

2 - DECIDE to go to lunch or dinner the week of January 12 before inauguration day at any decent restaurant near you (just pick a date and place and tell everyone to go there);

3 - AGREE together — in person — to get the word out and show up at your state capital and other high profile spots when infringements to your right to keep and bear arms are assaulted. Agree to face up to people who disrespect your rights and do harm to the precious and sacred Constitution of the United States of America.

More details when they arrive. To sign up for future alerts go to http://www.gunlaws.com

POINT SIX

Crass commercial message from an unabashed capitalist free-marketeer — books make excellent gifts, help us continue our work and do some good Christmas shopping with us. New gun owners need the rules, long-time gun owners need new tactics and strategies, the politically correct need correction, and everyone needs a little extra safety, preparedness and a good read or two. http://www.gunlaws.com/books.htm. It’s a particularly good time to consider the Founders Package — the books our Founding Fathers read and wrote. http://www.gunlaws.com/books8founders.htm

ShareThis

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

cliffs?

3. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Sarah Brady hates guns and sucks Obama's cock.

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Brady bunch is trying to find craftier ways to keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Nothing new.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

these people won't be happy until they make purchasing guns illegal. then they would all be so confused as murder rates sky rockets

"but, but no more guns can be sold... what happened?"

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

They'll do the same thing they've always done: deny, falsify, scapegoat, and lie. They don't care as long as they can take guns away.

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah you can't hold them to truth or fact can you? every anti-gun person i know is like that. they just all loudly proclaim that guns are bad and bla bla bla but they can't say anything intelligent in response to why states like maryland have so much crime

8. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

Thanks, ifbook

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Wait, people are surprised?

We all knew what the "gun show loophole" was

Confiscation will never happen. Period.

Congress cares about one thing only: getting reelected

10. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I bet this is music to the ears of gun store owners nationwide.

11. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I'm a gun owner (2 pistols + 1 revolver + new shotgun for x-mas), but far from a "gun nut"... Why is there so much rage against required background checks?? Don't they just make it more difficult for felons to buy guns, which seems like a good thing to me??

I bought a new glock 19 a couple of weeks ago from a friend/dealer. The background check took less than 10 minutes. As long as the ONLY reason for a background check failing and preventing you from purchasing a gun is past criminal behavior, then how is this a violation of your rights??

Other than paying an extra $20-35 to a FFL holder to do the transfer, how are background checks so bad??

12. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

It's a feel good law. People that want guns for bad purposes are going to still be able to sell them to each other FTF while that law abiding citizen gets screwed. Also how is the government going to know if you bought a gun illegally or if you had it before this law was passed? Nationwide registration?

13. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i didn't get this idea either. but after reading and learning more about what the implications are, it's frightening/maddening.

fuck registering my guns, fuck being on a government data base for every purchase. if i bought a shit ton of legos, why should the government know? same deal with firearms. if i'm a collector or a hunter with various firearms needs, i wouldn't want my name in some computer where the government can just out of blue claim that i'm a terrorist because i don't vote a certain way.

i know it sounds like tin foil hat shit, but it's true. see past all the ideological bull shit and analyze what all this could really mean for our freedom.

14. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Like I always say...they want my guns they can come get them. I guarantee the only thing they'll be getting is a fight they don't want.

BUT, I'm not entirely sure a confiscation scheme would ever work. Eventually, the government is gonna run out of bad guys to send out, and no cop I know (it's been discussed) will work a confiscation squad (some because they fundamentally disagree with it, others because they don't want to get shot over this).

What is sad is that police officers even have to discuss this. Every one of us took an oath of office, and in it we swore to uphold the Constitution.

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

lol

there would be no "door to door" confiscation -

they would just make possession a felony and give everyone a "grace period" to turn them in. get caught with one after that, you are a felon.

everyone it out of their fucking mind if they think the gov't would go door to door :rofl:

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what constitutes a "gun nut" to you?

17. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Because the Constitution doesn't give the Feds the right to regulate intrastate commerce, unfortunately they have abused that like a mofo though

18. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

[​IMG]

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm sure some of you think I sound like a broken record by now but confiscation day is a tin foil fantasy. They're taking your guns already and I doubt there's a cop that won't haul someone in for it. Go ahead and buy your post 86 machine gun, buy your suppressors or make a sbr in a state that doesn't like them or without paying $200. Go to nyc and buy an ar15 and magazines for it that are like those found in squad cars around the country. Keep your walther p22 in california that was determined to be illegal after you bought it. Register a found old machine gun. We just got out from under a very sweeping federal bun just a few years ago.

The confiscation thing wouldn't work, a constant erosion does work incredibly well though. If you let people keep what they have and cut off the supply the gun owners won't struggle too much and the police will go along with it too. Time and market forces will take guns out of people's hands.

I've always wondered why you never hear about 4th amendment nuts.

20. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Im a gun nut but find #1 hard to argue against.

21. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Yeah, we all know criminals will submit each other to background checks

:bowdown:

22. striker754

striker754 Chillin

The Federal background check is a joke anyways. Why would you not allow people to purchase handguns from an FFL in another state if they are going through the same background check? Stupid.

23. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

They are not even going to do that. They know the best they can do is curb future sales of guns in this country, anything more would result in total chaos.

24. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

read the first 100 pages of Matt Taibbi's book "The Great Derangement" congress can be bought and the only people that need to be on board are: the chairman of the committee of jurisdiction and the head of the rules committee. Then they call it an emergency bill so it can't be debated over and then they just need to get enough votes on the floor. Buy the same people in the other house and then they hammer out some sort of compromise to get signed. It's a sad state of affairs.

25. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

What gets me about gun control advocates is that they place their distrust evenly on gun owners in general rather than criminals in specific. In doing so, they expect the general public to sort of sign a suicide pact ... namely they disarm (since they have something to lose, such as living free and above board) and assume that criminals (who have far less to lose, not living above board, routinely being imprisoned) will do the same.

I distinctly remember a BBC piece on the eve of the Heller decision interviewing some "community activist" who dealt with rehabilitating gang members into normal society calling for much tighter gun control because of the anger and self-control problems that recovering gang members have, with access to weapons seemingly causing incidents to explode. The sheer lunacy of the argument struck me ... surely he wasn't suggesting that the rest of society trusts the judgement of people with chronic anger-management problems? Said activist made no statements about the 99.99% of the guns that do not harm the innocent (or rival gang members), but goddamn it sure would stop gangbangers from offing one another (presumably they would also stop menacing the rest of society) if there were no access to guns!

I've always found the average gun control advocate's unshakable faith in law enforcement curious. I guess they assume that giving the state a monopoly on force is a good thing? Police are always trustworthy and upstanding (the fact that police have considerably worse crime rates than concealed handgun license holders is always conspicuously ignored).

I think they're pursuing some sort of mother-fantasyland utopia where everyone behaves, follows the rules, builds lots of positive self-esteem, etc etc etc that simply won't happen thanks to the unstoppable beast of human nature.