GUN gun guys: need some info

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dpakman91, Nov 24, 2004.

1. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

can anyone link me to a map or list of gun ownership by state? i've searched all over, and can't find out. :x:

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Map or list of gun ownership? What do you mean exactly? Be more specific.

3. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

well i mean i want to know the gun ownership for each state...which states have more guns per person?
    what i meant by map or list is, that either a map showing the data, or just a simple list, would both be fine.

4. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Can't recall seeing that kind of data, but I think Texas has the most guns out of all the states. I heard somewhere that there's a 7:1 ratio of guns to people.

5. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

damn, this has to be available somewhere, because i've seen articles make references to states with the highest, lowest gun ownership, etc.

just a matter of finding it.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

ahhh, trying to make a correlation between guns, crime and dems/repubs for your site?

7. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Problem you will have is that gun owners are very tight lipped when it comes to surveys as to their ownership. We have seen what happens when cities, states and other governments register firearms. There are many people that live in cities that have severe gun restrictions/bans that own firearms for home protection that will never admit to it since they are committing felonies just by ownership (Chicago and Washington DC to name a couple places)

Since there is no national registration, there is another problem when trying to get even a rough estimate of ownership. The numbers of guns handed down from generations and bought and sold privately are very large and would skew any type of attempted statistic.
    If you look through that pdf, they even go as far as to use subscriptions to gun magazines to try and extrapolate numbers to help them create a statistical analysis.

9. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

that's why taht link isn't good, as i indicated. i think the best way to determine it is this:

-find out what states have the highest FID card / NRA membership.
    -then, i think it's reasonable to think that states where NRA membership / FID card regiastration is higher, that more guns are owned, proportionately. this is only logical i think.

voila

:dunno:

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

that wouldn't work either because in many states, guns handed down in families and purchased privately do not need an FID. Also, many states don't require an actual FID either.

examples...
    1..My grandfather bought a shotgun back in say 1930 before any form of registration. He passes it down to me, I am not required to register it.
    2..I see a gun in the newspaper while visiting my parents in Arizona. I buy it with cash, then bring it home to Reno. No registration done unless I voluntarily go down and register it.

You can't even use CCW permits to get actual numbers. Perfect example is here in Nevada. The permit does not require the gun to be registered, the serial numbers are not allowed on the cards. Anyone can borrow guns to go qualify with and add to their CCW. (I have 8 guns on my CCW that are not mine, but I qualified with them so in the future if I decide to purchase a similar model, I can carry immediately)

As for NRA, more gun owners are not members of the NRA than are, but no exact numbers can be given as to the non owners. Only the NRA's membership numbers can be used. So you would be only getting a small percentage.

11. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

i understand that. what i am saying is, there is no reason that extrapolating gun ownership from NRA membership would be skewed MORE in one state than another. this isn't impossible information to know.

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

sure, if you consider the more liberal gun owners are less likely to be NRA members than the deep south.
    It's not impossible, but it's probably going to be the hardest to theorize. Even our own government doesn't know who owns what, and that's the way most gun owners like it. Also most of the numbers that the government DOES have are not privy to public view.

13. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

:mamoru: typical *** move asking for this info here

14. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Not possible. Texas has about 35 million people. 7:1 means they'd have 245 million guns. That's a little more than the high estimates for gun ownership in the entire US.