GUN Gun free zones encourage violent criminals

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, Nov 15, 2008.

1. thegooch

thegooch Active Member OT Supporter

Jan 5, 2008

It seems that the "experts" are finally figuring out what we already know - that gun free zones encourage violent criminals. The police are finally figuring out that waiting outside for a few minutes while the killer shoots a few more unarmed victims is not working, either.

The other statistic that emerged from a study of active killers is that they almost exclusively seek out "gun free" zones for their attacks.In most states, concealed handguns are prohibited at schools and on college campuses even for those with permits.
    Many malls and workplaces also place signs at their entrances prohibiting firearms on the premises.
    Now tacticians believe the signs themselves may be an invitation to the active killers.

The psychological profile of a mass murderer indicates he is looking to inflict the most casualties as quickly as possible.
    Also, the data show most active killers have no intention of surviving the event.
    They may select schools and shopping malls because of the large number of defenseless victims and the virtual guarantee no on the scene one is armed.
    As soon as they're confronted by any armed resistance, the shooters typically turn the gun on themselves.
  2. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    This is the whole basis for "Active Shooter" training among law enforcement agencies, and it's become a big deal in the last few years.

Essentially, it's based around the idea of regular officers being trained and equipped enough that they don't have to sit and wait for SWAT units, but can grab a couple other officers (or deputies, whatever) and "go to the sound of the guns" post-haste.

The idea is to reach and neutralize an active threat as quickly as possible to minimize the damage he can do.

CCW's all around help too though (damned CA, being "may-issue" which generally means "no-issue unless you have connections or money")
  3. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Oct 26, 2000
    I know that if I were a crazy nutjob looking to kill lots of people, the first place i'd go is where no one will fight back: A gun free zone.
  4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Ha, I just watched this report on the news last night...

Good to see that they did us proud; WCPO generally is pretty straight up about gun issues, and tells it like it is. I can appreciate that.