GUN Gun Crew - What is the best all around law enforcement rifle? I'm in the market.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anders 7, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Ok so I work for a small Police Department and I have to purchase my own firearms which I don't mind because I like owning my own guns.

I have a Glock 22 for a main carry and a Glock 33 strapped to my ankle. I have a Remington 870 Police Magnum behind my head in my patrol car. I also own a Chinese SKS with a folding stock and 20rd Tapco Magazines. It works flawlessly and is accurate but I'm not sure if that would be a good duty rifle. It is heavy and long :dunno:

What would you carry as a duty rifle if you were law enforcement?

Most would say the AR-15. What about an AK-47? AK-47 is a more powerful round...

I have little concern about accuracy past 100-150 yards so that's a none issue.

Price is an issue since I don't make a lot of money. Are there any other rifles out there that could fill this role? I don't care if they are communist rifles. My Chief will authorize anything I qualify with. Should I stick with my SKS or would some people frown upon that?

Your thoughts? :hs:

2. Your police department sounds pretty ghetto

3. Anders 7

:dunno: We are pretty good for the size of our city. I'm just doing the best with what I can. I drive a decked out 2005 Impala. In a week or two I get a brand new 2007 Impala with the works. Tasers are coming in July.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

2 bore

/thread

If accuracy really isnt an issue, I would say some kind of AK (47, 74, 101 [or whatever the 5.56 one is]), but that might send the wrong PR image. I would say, in order based on cost/usefulness/etc:

AK
    AR
    Para fal maybe?

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would lean more towards 5.56 or 5.45 if you go the AK route better accuracy, better ammo choices with 5.56 though, Galil would be a nice option but you'd be getting up there in price.

6. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Personally I'd buy some AR avrriant. Just because like said above the whole PR issue. I know in my eye seeing a cop with an AK variant gun and hell even an SKS. I think "what the fuck?"

I'd see if you could buy through the department. You'll be able to get stuff at cost and even be opened up to some full auto options if wanted.

7. Anders 7

Thnx for the comments so far. ;)
    Anyone got links to some quality AK's? What manufacturers should I look for?

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The terminal ballistics of most 7.62x39 stink. What do you have in your sks?

[​IMG]

Have you tried your 870 out around 100 yards with slugs? Have you taken any quality shotgun training from someone like awerbuck? Alot of people get wrapped up in the gun more than their own skill, perhaps consider just putting that money into learning to use your 870 more effectively.

Do you have concerned about targets wearing soft armor?

I'd say an AR but it depends on what you have to spend, your needs, and how much you can have left over to learn how to use it.

9. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I'd go with an AR15. It wouldn't look good seeing a cop with an AK-47. :rofl:

10. Anders 7

I can have the department buy the rifle and pay them back over time. I'm not really interested in full auto for two reasons. One I don't see a real advantage or full auto and two if I ever leave law enforcement I want my rifle to be legal for me to own. I know I can get a stamp to own one but I'm too lazy. If I got a full auto it would be technically in the dept's name.

As for PR I could care less really. I'm only interested in how a paticular rifle performs.

11. Anders 7

:o I would get all black furniture. People might not know what it is if there isn't wood on it.

12. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

My good friends dad is a Chief.He just recently got his LEOs all AR`s.
    RRA`s i do believe

13. Anders 7

I did have some Russian 7.62x39 but the only local ammunition I can find for my sks is American Eagle or Winchester I believe.

As for shotgun. I have an 870 Police Magun loaded with 3'' slugs. I always qualify with a 100% score and like it. I'm just concerned about armored targets, ammo capacity, and rate of fire.

14. Furner

Furner New Member

Can you get post-86 full auto?

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Qualifying and having high quality training on how to use the shotgun effectively are two very different things. Of course I'd advise the same kind of training for a rifle you buy...

If you must use something in 7.62x39, I'd make a special effort to track down Winchester's 123 gr JSP even if you have to mail order it. It will make a larger wound than most of the cheap russian stuff and you'll also be less likely to send a round zipping through a bad guy and into someone else.

16. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'd personally go with an AR. I like the sights on the ar's a lot better than the ak. A para FAL doesn't seem too practical, it'd be more expensive and a .308 just seems like overkill.

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Depends on your department's policy and whether or not you live in an area where the AR could be considered overkill should you ever be forced to use it. Legal issues always arise and with it being "YOUR" weapon and not a dept. issued weapon, it puts you in an even more precarious position. Remember, police dept's tend to leave the officers hanging when there's a lawsuit and they could always say "well that is his own personal rifle, so we aren't as responsible". When it comes to the department or the city facing paying out bucks in a lawsuit, you are expendable and the first fallguy on the list.

Since you already have the 870 you might want to consider this for a good patrol rifle...

http://www.gunmuse.com/Reviews/Remington%207615P%20Pump%20Action%20223%20Patrol%20Rifle

same feel and controls as the 870, pump action so not as "evil".

18. Anders 7

Yes I'm pretty good with the shotgun. I practice combat loading and moving while shooting and various other things... I weigh about 175 so that shotgun does beat the hell out of me after a while :wtc:

19. Anders 7

Interesting rifle... but a pump action rifle? :hsugh:

20. Anders 7

Kel-Tec Su-16 could be another option I suppose.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

get an AR. for versitility and modification they can't be beat. plus, im sure theres some place where you can get a LEO discount

22. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

Ruger mini-14 gb or mini-30, the gb's were leo for a long time.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Yep, it's being used as a patrol rifle in many departments. Less issues with the anti assault rifle crowd, easier to train officers with who are used to 870 training.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

only if he likes missing the target

25. Anders 7

but I like to take issue with the anti assault rifle crowd :bigthumb: