GUN Gun Crew: Looking to buy highly concealable sub-compact, advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DjShiznit, Oct 28, 2009.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

So as it stands right now, I have an XD-9 service model. I love the gun, but it's far from ideal as a carry pistol, IMO. I've been doing some research online, and have found a couple models that I'm considering looking into:

Kel Tec PF-9
    Kahr PM-9

From what I can tell, the KelTec sells for about 1/2 the price of the Kahr, and is marginally lighter (both weigh ~16oz). I've read that the PF-9 was plagued with problems since introduction, that supposedly have been resolved in the subsequent revisions of the gun.

So that's where I'm at right now. I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions you guys can offer. Thanks in advance!

2. Crossett

Crossett New Member

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

I have a CW9 which is a slightly bigger version than the PM-9 and I really like it. I've had zero malfunctions with the gun, despite the manual saying to fire it 250-300 times to break it in.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

Kahr, i just havent' been able to make myself fork over the money for 1 but would definately like 1

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

For concealable, you really can't beat the kahr.

6. You want something highly concealable, small, and reliable... does it have to be an autoloader?

7. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:werd:

i'd rather have a J frame than either of those autos

8. That's what I was thinking.

9. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Yeah I've read a few reviews and I really like the idea of an easily concealable, light pistol. The price is a little out of my range, so I'm kinda leaning towards the PF9. I'm just a little skiddish about the idea based on problems people have had with them.

No, not necessarily. Although admittedly, I've never shot a revolver :o I'm open to suggestions though :hs:

10. The S&W J-Frame revolvers are exceedingly popular subcompact carry guns. They're small, light, more naturally shaped (that is, they conceal easier since they're much more round) and they're very reliable. There's excellent defensive ammo available for them, and they're not too expensive. The 642 and 442 models (both .38spl) are the most common, and likely your best bets for a carry gun. If you're baller and don't mind spending more, something like a 340PD is the exact same size, lighter, and can handle .357mag.

Shooting them isn't bad at all. They have a real heavy trigger pull, as it's their only safety. They can be fired pretty accurately out past 15 yards, but they're really intended for close-in self defense (which I assume is what you're looking for here anyways.)

11. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

Get a 3" Sub-compact XD-9.

If you have problems concealing that, then you're an anorexic midget.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

my wife and i both love our S&W 642's. many prefer the 640 i believe it is where you can still access the hammer to fire single action if you prefer.
    the only other sub compact i have is the glock 26 (which i purchased pretty recently) and i only carry it about 1/2 the time, i find myself carrying the j frame all the time because it's so small and light, just super easy to conceal.
    at 10 yards i can fire much better groups with the glock but the snub nose would still get the job done, it's accurate enough, just so you understand that a 1 7/8" barrell just isn't going to be the most accurate gun in the world at much distance

don't get me wrong the j frame can still be decent within reasonable distances, but there's only so much that stubby barrell can do

13. :hsugh: If he's looking at PM9s and PF9s I doubt he's looking for something as big as a subcompact XD.

14. The importance of this can't be overstated. A gun that can be carried effortlessly is a gun you will carry.

15. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

"big" and "xd-9 sub-compact" are oxymorons.

16. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

:werd:

I bought a Glock 19 for that reason, but only find myself strapping up when i'm going to an area where i really might need it.

17. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

exactly, it doesn't do much good in your gun safe.

i know many want big bore stopping power but honestly if you hit center mass with a .380, .38spl, 9mm you're probably gonna get the job done anyway so as far as i'm concerned go with a size and caliber that you feel comfy carrying so you can and will carry 100% of the time because it would suck to carry 1/2 the time because a larger frame is too dificult to conceal and have 1 of those times that you aren't carrying be that one time you need it.

I'm still considering the Ruger LCP .380 to go even smaller than the J frame but i can't make myself spend the $280-$300 since the J frame is easy enough to carry.

18. What's the loaded weight of one? Springfield lists them at 26ounces empty. Add in 7oz for ammo (a reasonable approximation) and you're up to 33 ounces. Yeah, that's over 2 pounds. Now, an empty 642 is 15 ounces. Ammo is 3.5 ounces, for a total of 18.5 ounces. If you are going to tell me there's not a significant difference in how those two guns are going to feel when carrying, then I don't know what to say. Further, the 642 and subcompact XD are the same overall length, but the fact that the 642 is much more round (and lacking the rear portion of a slide, which is a significant factor in how it conceals) is another huge benefit to it.

Since the threadstarter saw fit to include the term "highly concealable" in the title of the thread, I'm going to say that it's important to him, and no matter how you spin it, the J-Frames are way easier to conceal than any XD.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

I'm on my cell but ill post some pros for thw CW9 in 15-20 mins :coold:

20. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Exactly why my LCP goes everywhere I go (legally). I've forgot that I've had it in my pocket several times.

21. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I am a GLOCK sackrider and I fucking HATE their subcompacts

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i personally prefer auto loaders to revolvers, but there are pros and cons to each. i like being able to reload quickly, and buying the same ammo as my other handgun is a huge plus.

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

what do you dislike about the sub compacts?

you can just buy the larger glock magazine and the sleeve thingy (yes sleeve thingy is the techincal term for it :) )to cover the extra space for range shooting and also use it to conceal easily with the sub compact magazine

24. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I have a Kel Tec PF-9 and my father has a Kahr PM-9. His is very picky about ammunition and will not feed conventional hollow-points, mine has been 100% reliable and I would trust my life to it. I run 147 grain Hornady TAP rounds in it with no problems.

25. Origyns973

Origyns973 New Member

Walther PPS

/End of Discussion