GUN Gun control doesn't protect us -- guns do

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 4, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gun control doesn't protect us -- guns do
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-miket0407oct04,0,3733024.column?coll=orl_news_util
    Mike Thomas | COMMENTARY
    October 4, 2007

Tiffany Barwick and Michael Ruschak asked the cops to protect them from Barwick's former boyfriend.

She told them he had harassed her, threatened to kill her, bought a gun and sent an image of her riddled with bullet holes.

A Seminole deputy advised her to get a protective court order. We all know how effective they are against the criminally obsessed.

The deputy also would send her complaint to the State Attorney's Office, which is akin to tossing it into the Grand Canyon.

There is a lesson in all this.

The cops can't protect you.

The cops could not protect Erin Belanger and her five friends who were beaten to death by Troy Victorino and his band of thugs in Deltona.

She begged police for help in the days leading up to the assault.

"Can I ask you a question?" she said to a 911 dispatcher. "What can I do?"

Or better yet, what could they do?

Nothing.

I am not knocking the cops, just acknowledging reality. There are a thousand threats in the Big City. Picking out the real ones from the bluster is an impossible task.

Given this reality, given that Central Florida is turning into a bad Mad Max sequel, my liberal belief in gun control is getting wobbly.

I'm not advocating selling machine guns and cop-killer bullets at Wal-Mart. But if somebody faces an immediate threat, I have a hard time understanding why they need to wait three days or longer to buy a handgun for self-protection.

Shouldn't we be allowed to go to a reputable gun store, get a lesson in how to use a specific weapon and buy it after the background check?

The stated reason against this is that some ill-tempered lout will blow a fuse, run off to Guns R Us, buy a Glock and open fire on his spouse, neighbor, boss or co-worker.

One might assume someone this prone to venting with a volley already has a gun, locked and loaded.

A 2000 report in the Journal of the American Medical Association, hardly part of the gun lobby, showed cooling-off periods did not reduce homicide rates or overall suicide rates.

After examining 51 studies on various gun-control laws, including mandatory waiting periods, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded in 2003 that there was "insufficient evidence" to say they reduced gun violence.

It seems we pass laws that feel good without a lot of proof they are doing any good.

Maybe I need a good slap from Ted Kennedy, but I almost buy the National Rifle Association argument that the primary target of gun-control laws would be the people who shoot them at ranges, then lovingly oil and ogle them before safely locking them up.

As far as keeping guns away from bad guys, gun-control laws work as well as crack cocaine-control laws. My footnoted reference on this would be our crime blog.

We even have high school kids in Orange County firing guns in the air at high school athletic events.

If there were no guns, I would say allow no guns. But since all the wrong people already have them, and the cops can't do much about it except match their firepower, then it may well be time to arm thyself, citizen.

When Florida liberalized permits for concealed weapons in the 1980s, critics predicted a Wild West bloodbath. It never happened.

Responsible gun owners don't use guns irresponsibly. Go figure.

Until the cops get better at enforcing gun control on those who shouldn't have guns, a better alternative for the rest of us is gun education, gun classes and secure gun storage.

Mike Thomas can be reached at 407-420-5525 or [email protected]. His blog is OrlandoSentinel.com/mikethomas.

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I'd make the ol'Captain Obvious comment, but liberals love to grab ideas and claim them as their own, original and revolutionary thoughts.

Al Gore's not getting off the hook, but I think we can let Mike Thomas slide for the greater good.

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Its not particularly the cops fault we still have shitty gun laws across the country in many areas, however, they don't seem to help the cause any.
    Many police chiefs and sheriffs lobby FOR gun control. If only to protect their officers... but in turn hurting everyone.

The problem I have with that story is that it happened in Florida, arguably one of the most gun-friendly states in the Union.
    Why did she not obtain a gun for herself? Its too late now... but maybe other women can learn from this.
    Take your protection into your own hands. Its your life, you preserve it.

4. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

wow.. my town is actually starting to come around...

5. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

Wow, local news up on OT. I live in the city where the murder was. We hadn't had any murders in Oviedo for about 20 years until now. I am friends with the suspects younger brother. I was actually supposed to go hang out with his younger brother on the night that the shooting occurred. Not at the same party though.

6. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

I don't want to knock cops either, but when someone is about to do you harm, you are the first line of defense.

7. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

<insert standard line about self-defense here>

It's just sad that people have to be bitch slapped before they'll realize this stuff.

8. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

What the fuck kind of statement is that :ugh: This asshole is an idiot for needing a tragedy like this to convince him "maybe" people should own guns. This is almost as bad as the worthless bastards who want to round up all the guns whenever a person loses it and kills people. Reacting on emotion because of a fucking news story. :slap:

9. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:bsflag: This guy is a conservative claiming he was a liberal. He can't be a liberal because he just used logic.

10. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

All the cops I talk with agree that citizens should have the right to own a gun, but then again they aren't the chief of police or sheriffs that are trying to get reelected

11. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

A lot of the cops I talk to, including all the ones I grew up around (my father was a cop for 28 years before becoming a deputy US marshall) all wished more people would carry...but carry openly.

Open carry = visible deterrent. If I lived in VA I'd be openly carrying everywhere.

12. MTech

MTech New Member

It's legal to do so in PA but depending on the person cops fuck with you..

6'5 40 year old in a plaid collar shirt n jeans w/ a big revolver no big deal.

6'2 25 year old in collar shirt and jeans w/ semi-auto = somebody to question.

:squint:

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Got a story for us MTech?

14. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

They can ask me all they want, I don't mind it. If they kept it up I'd file a complaint with the city and if it persisted I'd file a civil suit for harassment and harm to my character.

Cops don't like to fuck with lawyers or in my case, a guy going to law school.

15. MTech

MTech New Member

I might.. I didn't talk to my buddy but my best friend does Pro Audio for events usually smaller and medium but huge installs. He's basically partners now with a mutual buddy who does big events (sound at like Ozzfest sized events ect) Well I got the main guy into M&P's and he went and got a compact w/ a blackhawk (i think) holster. it's one of those smaller ones that has the button to press that releases it. My best friend told me tonight that he got a text saying "I don't think it's legal to open carry in PA" so somebody gave him shit somewhere I'm guessing but I'll get the whole story off of him directly later today I'm sure.

Cliffs: mutual friend of best friend and I sent text stating he didn't think it's legal to open carry earlier tonight..waiting to hear what happened but somebody apparently gave him shit.

On another note I was at a Eat n Park (like Denny's to those non-PA guys out there) and the manager was remarking with some people a few months back that you aren't allowed to carry unless concealed (but he didn't have the balls to say anything to the guy cause he was a big freaking dude with a full size revolver) I told him it's perfectly legal in PA and he argued a bit and I showed him my permit and told him the law. :nono:

That's fine but what do you do when they try citing you for brandishing or disturbing the peace or something similar?? I've heard several people post they've had officers cite them or try to cite them things like that just for open carrying.

16. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I'll see them in court and then I'll see them in court again when I sue the city.

I've got NO qualm with taking money from the city, county, or state for not observing my legal rights.

17. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

One of the things cops and criminals have in common: both their jobs are made easier if fewer people own guns.

18. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

do "cop killer" bullets only kill cops? so if i shoot someone else with it will they live

:eek5:

19. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

No dude, you've got it all wrong. A 'cop killer' bullet will never aim for anyone but a cop, if you shoot it will keep flying till it hits one and if it runs out of momentum then it'll stay erect on the ground and try to stub a cop's toe.