GUN gun build paper work?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by craigl33, Sep 4, 2006.

1. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

can someone explain to me how i go about buying parts and all the legal stuff?

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Buy parts and assemble gun...

The receiver, or whatever part has the serial # on it, you will have to buy from an FFL and fill out the paperwork for a background check.

3. striker754

striker754 Chillin

you can make your own receiver

4. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Ive been looking into building my own for about 2 months or so.
    From what I can tell based on what I have read, and also from an E-mail from someowne from the ATF, you need no paperwork whatsoever.
    The parts kit, receiver flatand all the US compliance parts can be bought online. You dont have to be 21 to buy then as if they were a gun.
    And based on what kind of receiver you get ( I think theres 3: flat, 80%, and finished) you can get it mailed to your doorstep. However the ones you can get mailed to you directly need some work done to finish them

The gun does not have to have any kind of serial number or anything, but the ATF does suggest you number each gun and put your name in there just in case it gets stolen or anything like that.

Here are some links that I had kept for personal use:

http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS%20tutorial.htm How to finish different receivers and assemble rifle

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2611795

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2591787 Compliance parts

http://russianarms.info/1/htm/2-10.htm I think this is kinda cool

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=198 Refinish tips on firniture

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=88 How to build a rivet tool with a bolt cutter

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=125 Building a rivet jig

Theres also a step by step video if you want to make your own receiver from scratch

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Still involves paperwork though

6. striker754

striker754 Chillin

If by paperwork you mean the receipt for cost of materials for the receiver, then ya. Otherwise no unless state law says otherwise.

THERES NO FEDERAL PAPERWORK FOR HOMEMADE GUNS UNLESS NFA

7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

But at what point do you become a "manufacturer" rather than just a guy building something for personal use? If it has no paperwork then you can't sell it, right? I know you can serial something with your SSN but those are things you can't sell, and you are limited to like 1 per year or something I think.

8. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

so any joe blow can go and simply buy parts and make a gun without telling the government?

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can buy an AK parts kit and a reciever flat and build a rifle w/o having to file any paperwork, if your prohibitied by law from owning a firearm it would be illegal for you to build it, and if your building them to sell you would need to file paperwork with the ATF and get the proper license.

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Where are some good places to get an FAL parts kit?

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think AIM was advertising FAL kits in excellent condition for $199.

12. striker754

striker754 Chillin

wow. manufacturer is building guns to sell.

you can sell it. a 4473, aka "paperwork" is not really linked to the gun. all that shows is the last owner of the gun who obtained the firearm through a dealer. nothing else. the firearm could have changed hands many times without anyone knowing.

serial with your ssn? why the hell would you put that info on a gun that could be stolen? no markings needed.

1 per year? no.

Stop buying into the gun shop/law enforcement/person at the range advice. Most of it is wrong.

yes, you cna make a gun without telling the fed govt. you might have to register or whatever with your state if your state requires that.

13. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

where do you go to register? and do you need a permit to carry if it's in your car?

14. striker754

striker754 Chillin

youre talkin state laws. since no one knows what state you are in, no one can help

15. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

You may not have to register at all. I think in my state I can just go make a whole bunch of AKs in a year, not tell any govt organization and I wouldnt be in violation of any laws.

No I dont think so. That would mean that everyone that came back from the gun shows with a gun would either have carry permits or would be breaking the law.
    Just keep the gun in a case. I think thats almost a universal law in most states. Also, dont have the gun loaded while kept in your car.
    Some states require you to store the ammo and firearm so far apart.

If anyone would give you shit just tell em you just came back from the range.

16. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Well i'm not buying into the gun shop/law enforcement/person at the range advice but thanks for the tip. I know a guy that manufactures custom rifles and he had to become a federal manufacturer to do that.

I understand what you're saying that they don't keep a record of private gun sales and everything but I find it hard to believe that the gov't is OK with people manufacturing things like that. I mean there is such a law as "manufacturing a firearm without a lisence" isn't there? Otherwise why would any company be a licensed manufacturer?

I know you can build one without being a manufacturer but I also know that if you are to build one from scratch you are supposed to label it in some way, with some degree of tracability (ie. a serial number) and I recall from somewhere that if you build a gun without being a licensed manufacturer then you can't sell it for liability purposes (as in if it blows up).

Maybe I'm paranoid but I really don't think it can be as easy as just putting it together.

17. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

In Colorado you don't need to store it at all while it's in your car. A handgun can be loaded and concealed and you don't need any kind of permit as long as you're legally allowed to possess the gun. If it's a rifle then it can't have a round in the chamber. You can, however, keep a loaded mag in the gun. As long as there is no round in the chamber you're good to go. If you bought it from a private party or you built it yourself then there's no way that anyone could even know that you have it :noes:.

With all of those cooky laws you'd think that enraged motorists would be going nuts and shooting anyone that pisses them off right?? IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!! People need to stop being so fucking paranoid that their neighbor is going to go postal and start blowing people's heads off because someone pissed in their wheaties that morning. People call me paranoid because I carry a gun every day. How are they any better when they're afraid of me because I do it?

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

You're wrong. You don't need to label it in any way. As long as you're building it for personal use and you don't build 100s of them every year then you're building them legally. That is based on federal law. Your state might be differant. You can't build an AK that accepts a detachable mag in California because those particular guns are already illegal there. As far as the feds are concerned, though, as long as you're not manufacturing with the intent to sell then you don't need any type of license and you don't have to mark the gun in any way. You can even sell it without marking it if you decide that you don't want it any more. There is no law that says you can't sell a gun that you built for personal use. You just can't build it with the intent to sell it.

19. striker754

striker754 Chillin