Guitar Hero vs Rockband

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Skyline22GTR, Jul 26, 2009.

?

Which band setup?

1. Guitar Hero 4 World Tour

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Rockband 2

56 vote(s)
    81.2%
  1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

I recently modded my xbox and have since obtained all the guitar hero and rockband games. My problem is I don't own any of the guitars or drums. I used to have the guitar hero 3 kramer guitar for the ps2 but have since sold it. I loved that guitar.

My question is what package should I pick up now and how do they cross over with one another as I have no experience with either, ie how do the rockband guitar and drums play on the guitar hero games and vise versa?

Thanks for your input. Posts would be appreciated with actual experiences, but I will put a poll as well to make it easy for you lazy people.

2. Teh_Sponge

Teh_Sponge Hey, I got a sub now...

I'm being serious when I say that you should buy a real drumkit with the $200+ you'll spend on the Rockband 2 or GH kit

3. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

As an owner of the full Guitar Hero World Tour set for PS3 and an owner of the Guitar Hero 3 guitar for PS3 and the owner of the game Rock Band 2, I can tell you the following:

- the guitar hero world tour guitar is awful
    - the guitar hero 3 is still good
    - although world tour is good, the songs are shit; research Zero Punctuation's review of it.
    - content rules all in these types of games = rock band series wins due to DLC

4. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

I am not so much interested in the actual games as I have copies of them all. I was really more asking which guitars and drums are the best made quality and even more so easiest to use.

They both play on their competitions games for the Xbox 360 correct?

5. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

rock band shits all over guitar hero.

6. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

get a les paul (GH2) guitar

it is the shiznit

7. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

8. Fareo

Fareo New Member

Harmonix:

Frequncy
    Amplitude
    Guitar Hero
    Guitar Hero 2
    Guitar Hero : Rock the 80's
    Rockband
    Rockband 2
    The Beatles : Rockband

Neversoft:

Tony Hawk 1
    Guitar Hero 3
    Guitar Hero: World Tour

if Mr Coffee Spent billions of dollars on an ad campaign for their new "TV line" and got major celebrities to endorse it, would you buy the Mr Coffee TV? or the Samsung?

not to mention this...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2008/10/mtv_and_apple_corps_join_forces_for_beatles_music_game-2/

if that doesn't make your decision then you might as well join a football team and a frat house, get a keg of beer and get the next guitar hero game activision shits out.... :o

9. Fareo

Fareo New Member

the rockband 2 stuff doesnt come back broken nearly as much as world tour... i work in retail :o

10. GamerAsh

GamerAsh SKATE crew

RB2, no doubt about it.

11. Mr Niggz

Mr Niggz New Member

I'm so damn sick of guitar hero games now.

12. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

just go to a bestbuy and try them out

I am going to have to say rockband 2, even though guitar hero has an extra pad for drums.

13. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

Although I agree that it's good to play an instrument. I really hate the argument that it's better to spend that same amount of money on a real instrument. Sure it's fun and u will be picking up a new hobby. But when's the last time u saw 4 people playing the same drum set at the same time? Or even the same guitar/bass at the same time.

I think the RB/GH series are a great investment for anyone who even has at least 1 other friend, it's a great social experience.

Me and one of my friends actually started playing guitar 2 years ago because we used to play GH. But it's a totally different category in terms of investments. The price different alone is totaly different. You say $200+ on the game, but if i remember right the game w/ the accesories cost less than $200 (for RB anyways, haven't played GH:WT). People who play the games don't want to spend the time learning the instruments, thats the point of games. You don't want to have to spend months/years to learn a song, then have to go find a drummer/bassist/vocalist that can perform that song with u too.

So once again, while I agree picking up a instrument as a investment is a great and fun hobby to have. It's not even comparable to a RB or GH game.

/rant

14. tibbar

tibbar aww fennec foxah aww

The rockband guitar is shit compared to the guitar hero guitar. I'm not sure on the other parts, I just know we always gave that piece of crap to the bass player.

15. assclown

assclown Active Member

I ended up picking up the GHWT kit. Every review I saw pretty much agreed that the GHWT guitar is much better than RB2's. RB2 has the edge on drums, but I don't see anything wrong with GHWT's. They work fine, and they're quiet. I haven't used the RB2 drums so I can't comment on them.

16. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

I've always prefered GH, especially 3. World tour was alright, but there are only a few songs on there that I'd actually play..anything else, I didn't care for. Compared to Rock band, I feel that RB is not as "fast paced" as GH is, that often times some of the parts boring, especially the bass parts.

In the end, I honestly prefer GH.

17. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

That's not biased at all! Remember they made Apocalypse, Gun, and Spiderman... all fantastic games. The Tony Hawk craze was all the hype that came with it... they were looking for a new franchise, and Activision gave it to them because they were good.

Honestly, GH has better note tracking, more features, and five is going to be the biggest improvement over any game.

Those facts aside, however, I do have to fold Rock Band does have a larger song selection. But don't just think Neversoft was a bloke company that only made one game over and over... they massively innovated that franchise into the biggest video game franchise in the US in the early 2000's... and now they are innovating the biggest franchise of the late 2000's.

18. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

RB > GH.
    Rectangles > circles.

19. Teh_Sponge

Teh_Sponge Hey, I got a sub now...

I have no problem with people playing RB or GH. I baught RB1 and played it for a few weeks, then went out and baught a real drumkit.

Lets just say that I don't play RB at all anymore.

20. assclown

assclown Active Member

The ION drums will let you map any sound to each pad via MIDI, making it a legit electronic drum set. How well it works, I don't know, but it's interesting nonetheless.

21. Fareo

Fareo New Member

spiderman by neversoft is still one of my fav spiderman games, i was trying to prove a point. Harmonix is a music videogame company made up of musicians, im an actual guitarist and i can contest that harmonix note pharses make more sense logically. gutar hero 3 was hailed as the harder game in the series when it came out and i was a hardcore GH1 GH2 player but when i played GH3 i was all over the place because the notes were just scattered all over the track nothing.

apple corp gave harmonix the beatles license because of how much of an impact their games have been in this industry.. in other words, Gutiar Hero is the brand name and Harmonix is the talent. and activision knows this which is why they are milking the shit out of it until it dies off, there are 2 rockband games this year PSP and Beatles... this year has GH metallica, GH smash hits, GH van halen, GH 5, and GH Modern Hits... how many rockband key chain games have you seen?

Konami pioneered the muisc games, Harmonix took them in a different direction and adapted them to the west, you should really go play Frequency and Amplitude.

22. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

i hate guitar heros note charts. theres so many extra notes that arent necessary. you can tell they were put there so they can say their game is so much harder when its unnecessary.

23. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

But lets say ur friends came over and u had to entertain them. I doubt watching u play the drums for a couple of hours is gonna be very fun.

24. GamerAsh

GamerAsh SKATE crew

I find guitar hero alot easier on expert than RB. It seems that you have to be really precise in RB whereas in GH you can kinda like just press anything in fast paced bits and still got the notes lol

25. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

yeah, its very noob friendly in the newer versions ive noticed. you can button mash and get credit for hitting the right notes. i like the more precise button pushing needed in rb. takes more skill than just tapping on every button