Guide to processors?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rommel, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the processors on the market today. I want to build a computer and i'm not sure what to get. i see 65bit, then i see dual core, then i see pentium 4.

I'm a bit confused at the moment, the Dual core has a lower speed. From what i've seen about 2.6ghz, but what does this mean to me?

What are the advantages of dual core over the 3.4ghz pentium 4. How are they different, what are their strengths etc. Is one better for games and then the other better for applications such as photoshop? etc

Is there any other types i should know about aswell, i would really like to have the whole dual core, single core mystery explained to me though.

Thanks

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Tom's hardware guide FTW

THG

3. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

cliffs for those who aren't so good at intepreting tables.

A few lines would be great just to explain the differences and what suits what purpose.

4. ady

ady New Member

If you are buying a new computer get a core 2 duo, (E6300, E6400 or E6600 for an average budget) nothing else really needs to be looked at. Intel have kindly made the process of choosing a processor quite simple by putting out an great chip at affordable prices.

Wikipedia has dozens of pages covering the technology, but if this is you trying to decide which processor to get there is no reason to not get a dual core processor. Due to having a better architecture the core 2 duo's for example work much better even at lower clock speeds, and of course you can overclock them very easily to the Mhz speeds of the old pentiums.

5. doggfather

doggfather New Member

Nowadays, I would just get a Dell computer

If you customize your own, you'll end up paying more than if you just gotten a Dell and the features would be the same

Go with Core 2 Duo

6. ady

ady New Member

Only on lowend computers.

7. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

I want a relatively decent computer

last time i paid about 200 for the cpu, 80 for the mobo and 200 for the video card. In British pounds. Ram is an afterthought at the moment, i want to concentrate on those 3 itmes first before opting for the RAM.

8. ady

ady New Member

You can get an E6600, a gigabyte or asus P965 based motherboard and a high end 79XX range graphics card for around those prices now.

On another note I've not seen any reviews for them, probably because they aren't sold in the states, but MSI do a range of nvidia 7 series cards that are all passivly (silent) cooled that might be worth looking at.