SRS Guide to posting in R2R, 12 step literature and general information

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nukegoat, Nov 19, 2003.

1. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I use the NA literature - but only because I believe that we can substitute the word "drugs" for whatever our addictive substance is. Alcohol is a drug.

Who is an addict:
    Most of us do not have to think twice about this question. WE KNOW! Our whole life and thinking was centered in drugs in one form or another - the getting and using and finding ways and means to get more. We lived to use and used to live. Very simply, an addict is a man or woman whose life is controlled by drugs. We are people in the grip of a continuing and progressive illness whose ends are always the same: jails, institutions and death.​
    Why are we here?
    Before coming to the fellowship of NA, we could not manage our own lives. We could not live and enjoy life as other people do. We had to have something different and we thought we had found it on drugs. We placed their use in front of the welfare of our families, our wives, husbands and children. We had to have drugs at all costs. We made many people great harm but most of all we harmed ourselves. Through our inability to accept personal responsibilities we were actually creating our own problems. We seemed to be incapable of facing life on its own terms. Most of us realized that in our addiction we were slowly committing suicide, but addiction is such a cunning enemy of life that we had lost power to do anything about it. Many of us ended up in jail or sought help through medicine, religion and psychiatry. None of these methods was sufficient for us. Our disease always resurfaced or continued to progress until in desperation we sought help from each other in Narcotics Anonymous.
    After coming to NA, we realized we were sick people. We suffered from a disease from which there is no known cure. It can, however, be arrested at some point and recovery is then possible. ​

How it works:
    If you want what we have to offer you, and are willing to make the effort to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps. These are the principles that made our recovery possible.

1.We admitted that we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2.We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3.We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care 0f God as we understood him.
    4.We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5.We admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6.We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
    7.We humbly asked him to remove our shortcomings.
    8.We made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9.We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    10.We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    11.We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12.Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
    This sounds like a big order, and we can't do it all at once. We didn't become addicted in one day , so remember - easy does it. There is one thing more than anything else that will defeat us in our recovery: this is an attitude of indifference or intolerance toward spiritual principles. Three of these that are indispensable are honesty, open-mindness, and willingness. With these we are well on our way.​
    The Twelve Traditions of Narcotics Anonymous
    1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends on NA unity.
    2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority * a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants, they do not govern.
    3. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using.
    4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or NA as a whole.
    5. Each group has but one primary purpose * to carry the message to the addict who still suffers.
    6. An NA group ought never endorse, finance or lend the NA name to any related facility or outside enterprise lest problems of money, property or prestige divert us from our primary purpose.
    7. Every NA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
    8. Narcotics Anonymous should remain forever nonprofessional but our service centers may employ special workers.
    9. NA as such ought never be organized but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
    10. Narcotics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the NA name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
    11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.
    12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions ever reminding us to place principles before personalities. ​

The 12 concepts of service
    1. To fulfill our fellowship's primary purpose, the NA groups have joined together to create a structure which develops, coordinates, and maintains services on behalf of NA as a whole.
    2. The final responsibility and authority for NA services rests with the NA groups.
    3. The NA groups delegate to the service structure the authority necessary to fulfill the responsibilities assigned to it.
    4. Effective leadership is highly valued in Narcotics Anonymous. Leadership qualities should be carefully considered when selecting trusted servants.
    5. For each responsibility assigned to the service structure, a single point of decision and accountability should be clearly defined.
    6. Group conscience is the spiritual means by which we invite a loving God to influence our decisions.
    7. All members of a service body bear substantial responsibility for that body's decisions and should be allowed to fully participate in its decision-making processes.
    8. Our service structure depends on the integrity and effectiveness of our communications.
    9. All elements of our service structure have the responsibility to carefully consider all viewpoints in their decision-making processes.
    10. Any member of a service body can petition that body for the redress of a personal grievance, without fear of reprisal.
    11. NA funds are to be used to further our primary purpose, and must be managed responsibly.
    12. In keeping with the spiritual nature of Narcotics Anonymous, our structure should always be one of service, never of government.​

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  2. Jackanapes

Jackanapes turbodirectinjection OT Supporter

I like how eleven of the steps start with the word WE. As in we do it together and we are not alone.

3. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

Step 12 is a we also, just has it in the middle :o

4. Looks good. I'm a 12 step follower of Alanon.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

R2R Rules - Please save us all some hassle and read before posting. (Updated 4-8-05)

These rules are intended to curb shitty posts and in turn, encourage others to post. Read them. I will be referring to them upon editing a post.

If you want to quit using drugs / drinking / smoking / gambling, whatever - this is the forum for you. I cannot stress enough that the support of others is absolutely crucial to recovery.

That being said - a few members have posted in here seeking help for a problem to get responses that put down their habit, tell them they don't have a problem, or suggest other drugs. Some posts are downright disrespectful and I don't like to edit (nor does DoD), so I feel we can break it down to a few rules.

1) Do not encourage, condone, or support the usage of drugs in this forum.
    Example: "I smoke weed 2x a day, on the weekends. I want to quit."
    BAD RESPONSE: "If you want to quit, take up snorting coke. Or drinking"

2) Do not judge anothers history. This means that when someone posts "I smoke like 2x a day, on the weekends.
    BAD RESPONSE: "That's nothing. I smoke all the time and have no problems."

3) Quantify the degree or severity of a drug and its implications on an individual. Each individual is different, no drug is worse than another (i.e. its the individual's reaction that differs)
    BAD RESPONSE: "Weed isn't that bad. Smoking crank is WAY harder to quit"
    OK RESPONSE: "For me, smoking crank was harder to quit than smoking weed"
    The idea of #3 is that your personal experience is your personal experience but generalizations about how others should be feeling has no place in this forum.

4) If you don't know anything about addiction, please don't start a debate, or attempt to explain to everyone what addiction is about. However, feel free to post support for people, that is more than welcome.
    Example: "I am addicted to coke, I'm trying to quit now, I have 12 hours clean."
    BAD RESPONSE: "Coke isn't addictive, addiction isn't a disease, it's all in your head, you'll quit if you really want to, you don't need help."
    GOOD RESPONSE: "Good for you, I hope you are successful in staying clean, I don't know anything about addiction, but I hear meetings help."

5) Fazle has noted that taking posts outside the context of Road to Recovery is a Tier 3 violation. If anybody feels that this is being done to them, let me know and the violating user will receive a warning or upon repeat offenses, a ban.

I don't like having to police this forum because I feel each individual experience may speak to someone where nobody else's can. I'd rather just be a member of the group. With that in mind, share! We need you people in here.

All in :love:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2005
  6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

thats why we have 2 mods :)

sucking at the internet is ok. i'd rather suck at the internet and be good at life than the other way around...

7. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

What happens inside an AA / NA / 12-step meeting?

I'm writing this brief guide not to necessarily destroy any anonymity but to give curious people a general idea of what goes on. Before you ever step foot inside a meeting they can be somewhat frightening (because they're unfamiliar) Without any further adeu, I shall give you my brief summary of what its like at the meetings I've been to. Anyone who has had a different experience, feel free to post it so that anyone who reads this guide will feel like they are a slightly prepared.

The location: They are usually in churches or other "public" type buildings. While the 12-steps are spiritual in nature and many people get excited about recovery and feel that its God-inspired, the location (being in a church) is not because the 12-step group endorses any specific religion. Rather, 12-step groups are in churches becauise they INSIST on paying rent. If they do not pay rent, they are under the will of whoever is donating the room. So, although you may see them at churches, its not because they're run by the church.

Time: Depending on where you are, meetings are generally every day. Bigger cities have multiple meetings every day, smaller ones generally just have meetings once a day. By far, the most common time for meetings I've seen is 8:00pm.

Duration: Meetings last either an hour or 1.5 hours. The 1.5 hour meetings that i've been to have a break after the first 15 minutes. Either way, they don't seem very long when you're in them.

Seating arrangements / atmosphere: Most meetings just have a bunch of chairs, sometimes couches, sometimes tables. Regardless, nearly any seat is free so long as someone hasn't set their keys down. You can sit pretty much anywhere.

Start of the meeting: The meeting is called to order, the "secretary" (person who "runs" the meeting) generally says a few things about the name of the meeting, and then (out of tradition) asks for those who wish to join him/her in the serenity prayer.

Readings: Generally there are about 4-5 readings that are either passed out or specifically requested of people prior to the meeting to read. For example, in NA, at the beginning of every meeting is "what is NA" "who is an addict" "why are we here" "how it works" "the 12 traditions". These are just standard readings which are taken care of.

Collection: Because the meetings are not sponsored by anyone, they just pass a basket around at some point during the meeting and anyone who wishes to donate just throws in a buck. People who need a court-card signed (to verify they were at a meeting) also throw their papers into the basket for the secretary to sign

Meeting: There are multiple types of meetings... the most common around here is the speaker/discussion meeting. The secretary finds someone to "share" or to "chair" the meeting and this person is the mini-speaker for the meeting. Generally he/she will tell their story and how they got into recovery and what they have learned and how they live today, etc... in about 10-15 minutes. After, this person either calls on people (generally familiar people) to speak for a couple minutes on a selected topic. If they make it "open" then whoever feels like speaking may do so. Most of the time, in smaller meetings, there is no podium or specific place you have to go to speak. Such meetings DO exist but are less common. Most of the time you can sit and speak.

Some meetings are just "speaker" meetings which means that someone just speaks for the remainder of the meeting on their story. These are nice because its like hearing just a story that generally is fairly interesting. Some meetings are "book study" which means they go through the main text of the 12-step program and have a myriad of ways in which to discuss whatever passage they're working on. Some meetings are "step study" which means they go over the 12-steps of the program in whatever way they have decided on.

The important point I'm making is that you are not required to speak at any meeting. Any individual who wishes to remain silent may do so (although if called upon, it may be polite just to say 'no thank you')

After the meeting, people talk, hang around, drink coffee, whatever. Its really fairly light-hearted at most meetings and these people are generally trying to relax and have a good time.

Thats about all i remember, but I hope this helped anyone who is considering a meeting but is possibly a little intimidated because they fear the unknown. Good luck to you all, feel free to ask more questions. :)

8. Josepi

Josepi HA HA, I CHANGED MY AV

I'm starting this week. :hsd: Started an intervention group last week. :hsd: Amazingly enough, been sober for months, but just need to clean up foor good. :bigthumb:

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Good luck

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Best of luck. Life without booze or a support group can get tough really quick.

11. If you don't feel welcome in your NA/AA group don't give up. Some groups are pretty exclusive as they've known eachother for a while and lose sight of the goal of the entire project. Try out different groups to see what works for you

12. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

The rules have been updated. I added a rule, labeled it #4, and bumped rule #4 to rule #5. If anyone has any questions regarding this rule, please let me know.

13. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:bigthumb:

14. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

You can post them in the sticky "12-step literature (taken from NA)"
    yeah it'd be better if you just posted the text, no links

15. Hemps

Hemps New Member

Basically you come in, they read a bunch of stuff about the traditions of the programs. alk about what it means to be an addict, talk about recovery, talk about various things. Than in the middle section they usually do either a book reading, sharing personal experiences or just sharing anything in general that needs to be said. Than they pass around the money tray thing, etc etc, prayer, than we all go our seperate ways...

16. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

There are many ways to go about seeking recovery, here are a few links to several fellowships dealing with different addictions. Each link is to the fellowship's self-test to indicate whether you may have a problem.

The fellowship websites and their self-tests:

1) Alcoholics Anonymous (Is AA for you?)
    http://www.aa.org/en_is_aa_for_you.cfm?PageID=71

2) Narcotics Anonymous (Am I an addict?)
    http://www.na.org/ips/an/an-IP7.htm

3) Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (40 questions for self-diagnosis)
    http://www.slaafws.org/pamphlets/40questions.html

4) Overeaters Anonymous (Is OA for you?)
    http://www.oa.org/is_oa.html

All of these self-tests are good, but sometimes addicts find it difficult to be honest with themselves. The best way to find out if you suffer from addiction is to go to a 12-step meeting and see if you relate to what others share about at the meeting.

How to find meetings:

5) AA - AA is listed in the phonebook, you can give them a call and ask where the nearest meeting is. It may also be effective to google "Alcoholics Anonymous in (City in which you live, State in which you live)"

6) NA - http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

7) SLAA - http://www.slaafws.org/meetinfo.html

8) OA - http://www.oa.org/all_about_meetings.htm

If You Have Loved Ones Who Suffer From Addiction:

Generally there's nothing you can do to "make them get clean," they must have the desire on their own. Enabling them does not help either, you can learn much more about this by going to an Al-Anon meetings or a Nar-Anon meetings and talking with others who have loved ones dealing with addiction/alcoholism.

9) Al-Anon & Alateen - http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

10) Do a google search for Nar-Anon (in your state or country)
    There are different groups for each area, but I do not think they are unified

17. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

Why is this a bad response? This is a respected academic and clinical viewpoint that millions of clinicans use world wide.

18. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

Are there any fucking rules here whatsoever?

Call me crazy, but I just assumed recovery was a somewhat sensitive subject... and, like the Asylum, people that came in just to talk shit and cause trouble wouldn't be tolerated.

Threads are locked when two recovering addicts disagree, but trolling is fair game? I don't get it.

19. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Wrong.

But feel free to provide links to where it's accepted by millions in academia or clinics worldwide.

20. Coottie

There sure don't seem to be any or they seem to be selectively applied. We need more active moderation, that's for sure.

You're not crazy and in fact, that's the way it used to be...or seemed to be. In fact, I thought the subtitle of this forum was similar to the asylum "For serious discussions only".
    I don't either.

21. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

I checked into it a bit, and there actually is no mod for R2R currently.

pm'd tank

22. Coottie

Yeah I pm'd glen earlier when it appeared he was simply trolling....guess he's out for the holiday or something.

23. i killed tupac

hold that thought

24. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

Too much emphasis on god

25. i killed tupac

thats why i chose NA