GTX 295 Cooling Solutions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by seren60, Mar 10, 2009.

1. seren60

seren60 New Member

I was wondering about different cooling solutions for this rather awkward card.

I'm thinking of overclocking it.

There's the EVGA back plate. But I don't understand how this would cool the card down.

What if you just used a normal GPU cooler and placed it on top of the card?

What do you use to cool this very overclockable beast?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Besides water there are 0 aftermarket coolers. Almost all aftermarket coolers these days aren't that great anyways. 95% don't exhaust the air back in the case. The backplate is pretty much useless. Makes it look prettier and that is it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm not familiar with that card, but if it's new, you'll probably just have to wait for Zalman (or some other company) to come up with a good cooler.

That being said, if you're not bluescreening and/or artifacting under full load, then you have room to play with the clock speed.

4. lowfat

Zalman is very far behind in videocard cooling. They don't have a single solution that can handle most high end cards. Don't expect a lot of room for overclocking though. The card will hit 90˚C no problem on load unless you have stellar airflow.

5. seren60

seren60 New Member

What if you put fans and/or heatsink on top of the card, where alot of the heat is escaping.

6. lowfat

There isn't much head escaping from the backside of the card, you'll get a few degrees cooler but nothing significant.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The main thing happening on the back of the card is heat radiation from the memory chips -- basically, they're glowing infrared. That doesn't require airflow to work. The GPU could do the same thing, except that its heat output isn't uniform across the surface of the chip, and uneven heat expansion would eventually cause it to crack, hence the need for the heatsink.

If you don't already have a fan in the bottom-front of your case, blowing air across the cards, consider adding one. That should help a bit and not cost much.