GSX-R600 Pipe Options?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NeonImpact, Nov 10, 2005.

1. NeonImpact

NeonImpact New Member

So i'll be picking up that '06 GSX-R600 in a couple weeks when they hit the floor.

What pipe does everyone consider me getting? Price is no option, but i want the best bang for the buck, and a nice tone as well.

Are there any other recommendations that you think I should get when getting this? Intake System?

I'm a rookie to this stuff. :wtc:

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

Last year a dealer told me that the 05 Gix 1000 actually lost horsepower with most aftermarket exhausts. (does anyone have a dyno curve to prove otherwise?) But if that's any indication, I'd just leave the stock one on there. It looks awesome the way it is. Also, I don't know of any manufacturers that have come out with one to fit the new MotoGP-style exhaust. You might have to wait a while.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The new gixxer sports an underbike (sorta) exhaust, so you may be waiting a while for a pipe.

A free-flowing airfilter in the stock airbox will probably give you the best results for normal everyday riding.

Just make sure you do some electronics tuning to keep the fuel and ignition correct. Most manufacturers release them in a lean burn state anyway and you'd benefit from a little richening.

4. eck

eck New Member

If you want to know what pipe to get and when they'll be coming out, give they guys at Indysuperbikes.com a call. I've dealt with them alot and they are honest and "in the know" about new products.

I'd venture a guess that Yosh is probably gonna be a top pipe since they develop for the AMA team. M4 would also be a good choice.

5. NeonImpact

NeonImpact New Member

fuck, i didnt realize i wont have an exhaust to show :o

6. machine81

machine81 New Member

I don't think manufacturers release them in a lean burn state. In thermodynamics class we learned that almost all commercial engines burn in a slightly rich state. This is to ensure that the engine, when running as designed, will never produce carbon monoxide. CO2 is normally what is produced when an engine is running at stoich air and richer. CO is more dangerous for humans and the environment and most manufacturers would want to avoid it. Also, especially with fuel injection and the onboard computers, it is increasingly easier to maintain an air-fuel ratio. Therefore manufacturers can come extremely close to stoich air without wasting fuel and without running lean. Can you find me a link that states that manufacturers are trying to run slightly lean? If so, I'd be interested to read it.

However, if you are opening up the airbox more then you definitely will want to add more fuel. As previously stated, the manufacturers are running really close to a perfect air-fuel ratio. So, if you go and start adding more air you'll definitely want to add more fuel too.

7. eck

eck New Member

With todays generation of fuel-injected bikes, its always a safe bet to get a power commander (or equivalent). They do extensive research to create fuel maps that not only make your engine run better, but to ensure things like detonation don't happen.

8. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Thermodynamics and a slightly rich state are all well and good. Slightly rich would be the better way to get near stoich.

However, that doesn't guarantee you'll meet emissions standards. Don't meet those and you'll never get to market the bike.
    Easier to burn less fuel and run it through a catalytic converter. Lean burn also tends to lower combustion temps.

You'll note that the hybrids from Honda and Toyota also employ lean burn powerplants. The manufacturers want good performance, but selling bikes is the most important. Can't make money if you can't market them.

http://www.royal-enfield.com/bullet-electra.htm (first line of the first paragraph)
    http://www.energetics.com/meetings/recip/pdfs/presentations/willi.pdf
    (long PDF, and deals with natural gas, but the same principles apply)
    http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enlaf.html
    (Honda Insight info...uses a lean burn powerplant)
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/03/new_nosubxsub_r.html
    (great info regarding efficiency and cleanliness of the motor)

The major problems with lean-burn is that it runs up the risk for pre-ignition. This has mostly been overcome through technology (ECU's that compensate and stronger construction of engines)
    The problem is almost completely irrelevant in direct injection motors which I believe will be the next innovation in sportbike technology.

9. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

^Close, but the reason lean-burn has a tendency to pre-ignite is because leaner = hotter.

More fuel, helps keep the engine cooler, since all of the fuel isn't burned.

I also find it funn you guys are talking about stoich A/F, which is 14.7:1, call a tuner and ask what they tune too, its not that.

Most motors are tuned to 12.8:1-13.2:1, with Dynojet certified tuners, tuning to 13:1.

Bikes run lean at the emission RPM 5500, hence why lots have a little sutter/hesitation there, and run rich at 7000 the dB test for the stock exhaust.

Fucking noobs.

10. eck

eck New Member

I don't want to get into a flame war here z31maniac, but for what most people are using their bikes for, i.e. street riding and such, these motor characteristics don't pull much weight. These motors are designed to run at red line and that's where they perform the best.

You are definitely more knowledgeable about engines (thermodynamics/mechanical engineering) than I ever want to be, but consider the audience. Most street riders won't have any idea what we're even talking about. I find it refreshing that there are guy (and gals) out there that ask questions about this stuff and are willing to learn about it rather than just strap on their bling and race from stop light to stop light.

Just go a little easier on us, eh?

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I'm sure all bikes coming out of a factory go to dynojet tuners too...thats probably the best way to pass emissions. :rolleyes:

Manufacturers don't tune for best performance. They tune for best sales, and you can't sell if you can't market it cause it burns dirty.
    You'll also note that you more or less agree with me.

By richening the bikes (taking them out of their lean state) you make more power. Hence the reason you should re-jet/reprogram if you modify the machine.

12. V!

V! New Member

Why does this thread scare me?

13. machine81

machine81 New Member

This is why I love OT. Well, besides all the free shit I get. I'm a total nerd and love learning new things about engines. I had no idea what pre-ignition is. For the most part I was confusing it with detonation (pretty common I guess). So, I went and educated myself.

Yeah, lean mixtures burn hotter and heat up the cylinder walls. If the walls are hotter than the flash point of the AF mixture, BOOM. QUESTION: why does the lean mixture burn hotter? I couldn't find any info on that.

Also, yes, it makes perfect sense that a TUNER, not a manufacturer, would run a richer mixture. More fuel, more power. We're all in agreement on that. I think that we all also agree that a Power Commander is a good idea.

p.s. what are you scurrrred of?

14. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

If I end up getting a new bike in '06 it will probobly the gsxr600, (750 if I can afford it :x: ) and I plan on leaving the exhaust stock .. It looks really good in person just the way it comes.

15. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

Anything other then a yoshimura on a gixxer seems odd.

16. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Don't get Yoshimura. EVERYONE has it.

17. eck

eck New Member

I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of being different, but when it comes to suzuki, there's a reason Yosh is the preferred pipe.

However, M4 also has put in a bunch of R&D lately and their M4 Emgo bikes have been performing really well. I'm not claiming that their success is from their exhausts alone, but with all the money you put into a motor, you want to have an exhaust to complement it.

Arrow is also a great pipe as are Arata and Akropovich.