gsx or gst

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by arabgangsta, Feb 8, 2005.

1. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

everyone says i should get a gst but i want to win from a stop light to stop light if i mod is there a chance i could beat someone. im afaraid of tire spin.

2. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 Guest

why are u afraid of tire spin.... unless you dump the clutch from redline you are not gonna spin to much...the only real con to a gsx is the weight i guess. i never got into dsm's to much. ive driven an eclipse gs-t on a trip once i liked a lot

3. Jajibaji

Jajibaji Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

I used to have the eagle version of the gsx, and enjoyed knowing that no matter where i dumped the clutch, the car would go. gst has the weight advantage, but requires more finesse. i'd go with the gsx since the curvy parts can be fun too.

4. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

as soon one who owns,builds and races both i can say that the GST has crazy wheel spin no matter what you do. They do great on the highway but if you are planning on running froma stop you will need to put a good amount of work into the suspension setup into a GST. They are great cars and i loved my 98GST but the GSX off the line is a monster.

5. ices

ices New Member

just like everyone said in your other post, street racing is gay. take it to the track. that aside, gsx=off the line win. gst=highway win. reason: gsx has extra weight, but the most important factor in higway racing is the fact that AWD contributes a lot to drivetrain loss, making 2WD much more efficient.

6. Finest

Finest OG #93

You condone street racing, but recommend the GST for "highway" runs? :squint:

AWD > * 'Nuff said.

7. ices

ices New Member

THAT ASIDE. where exactly do i "condone" street racing, or highway runs for that matter? when was telling him facts wrong? would the gsx win off the line? yes. would the gst win on the highway? yes. is it because of drivetrain loss making 2WD cars more efficient? yes.

should i make it more politically correct/acceptable for you? here you go, i wouldn't want your pussy to hurt.

"the reason that the gst would win (in a hypothetical situation, of course:rolleyes: ) on the highway is because of the fact that AWD contribues a lot to drivetrain loss, making 2WD much more efficient.

disclaimer: not encouraging "highway" runs"

happy now?

lastly, you said that AWD>*. no, AWD isn't >*. there is no ONE drivetrain configuration that is far superior to the other. and since you decided to spend more time calling me out than on explaining your post, i'll help him out. (still not condoning street racing of course)

FWD:
    pro-efficient on highway, better than RWD in inclement weather
    con-bad traction on initial starts. just look at the weight transfer of a car when it starts from a standstill, the weight shifts to the back. also has the tendency to understeer. very uneven tirewear

RWD:
    pro-arguably the most efficient drivetrain. the rear weight bias from a standstill allows for better traction than FWD. tendency to oversteer.
    con-least traction in inclement weather. tendency to oversteer

AWD
    pro-best for inclement weather and starting from a standstill
    con-drivetrain loss at high speeds. the least "efficient" drivetrain configuration (AWD models usually get worse gas milage than their 2WD counterparts). expensive, heavy, and hard/expensive to fix. their traction advantage quickly drops off as speeds are increased. many AWD cars still have a tendency to understeer.

on paper, it would look like AWD is the least favorable drivetrain configuration because of it's high number of cons. but then comes an idea taken from the social choice theory read:[ http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SocialChoiceTheory.html ] that basically says that there is no perfect solution for the masses, but rather for the individual himself. so therefore you saying "AWD>* nuff said" is wrong.

this leads back to the point of "what is your perfect drivetrain configuration"? well, what is your primary factor in determining which you should get. oh, that's right,"street racing". and my thought, on that, (quoting myself actually) is:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  8. ices

ices New Member

ps: all because i'm a noob here doesn't mean that i am to cars/other forums. common sense before responding is great. you should use it sometime.

9. dsm4evr

dsm4evr New Member

This man tells the truth :bigthumb:

10. ices

ices New Member

really? what is your reasoning behind awd>*?

sure, awd might be the best for someone that lives somewhere with a lot of rain and snow, or for someone who likes to go offroading, and for this dumbass who wants to go stoplight-to-stoplight street racing, but it's far from being better than everything.

what about for the person who wants higher gas milage, for someone on a budget and can't afford the typically higherpriced AWD drivetrain as well as increased repair costs and lower gas milage, for a drifter (hey, at least it's in a controlled environment) or someone that likes to easily break the back loose, or (god forbid) the driver who likes to race on highways.

what i've seen in the past is that when a question like this is asked, people start responding saying "rwd>*" and "awd>*". noobs read this and spit it back out in other topics where noobs read it, etc... it's an endless cycle of ignorance.

saying that awd>* is as illogical as saying ipod>*.

not automatically conforming to the masses/popular culture without research>*

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  11. Tripp

Tripp Guest

AWD all the way, we just got dumped with 12 " of snow and I was the only car able to make it through, didn't get stuck once:bigthumb:. As for racing the advantage you get off the line will rarley be made up by 2 wheel drive cars of comparable power, whenever I race a mustang or camaro i get a car length or two off the line and they can't seem to close the gap in a 1/4 mile, and im pretty much stock

12. dsm4evr

dsm4evr New Member

I chose the AWD and Im happy with my decision. The guy asked whether he should get a GST or a GSX. Considering he wants a car to go from stoplight to stoplight, I believe the GSX is the better solution :fawk:

13. ices

ices New Member

better solution for stoplight to stoplight racing. not better than all though. :fawk:

just clarifying for noobs that think that AWD is actually >*

it's good that you like your car though. this idiot is going to buy a car for street racing and then regret it when it gets taken away by the cops

14. Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx Active Member

go with the awd, you wont regret it. All my friends that have fwd have at some point wanted to sell their cars and pick up an awd. Real men dont race from rolls, you cannot do so at a track, so why would you want to on the street. It really proves nothing other than your car is lighter. Traction is key.

15. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

I wouldn't own my DSM if it wasn't AWD. Everyone local that I know that has had a FWD one keep their eye open for an AWD one to pop up for sale. It'll keep you happy for a little bit but you'll regret it eventually.

16. Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx Active Member

I've had a 98 AWD for 5 years now. Never wanted any other import. Only thing i'd ever get rid of it for, is a v8. Just can't beat the responsiveness to mods that V8's have, nor the torque.

17. ices

ices New Member

if anything, i'd want to have a RWD car, either i4/6 cyl. turbo or v8 N/A and up. 1/4 and 0-60 times aren't everything to me. once you have a fast 1/4 mile car, you're adding too much strees on the axles and the transmission, and although extracting every last 1/100 of a second from your car takes a lot of skill, it seems too repetitive. a quarter mile is the same everywhere, but there are so many different tracks around the country. i prefer auto-X and twisties. i'll take a mr2, supra, corvette, or a ferrari :naughty:

18. Finest

Finest OG #93

Traction. That basically sums up what everyone is striving for. That, plus horsepower. Combine the two and you get acceleration. If your acceleration > others, then you are faster/quicker.

AWD > *.

Highway runs are mainly "gearing" biased competitions. I'm sure you've seen MKIV Supra runs that just completely pull away in the higher gears. If your car can get up to 170mph and the other guy can only reach 150, guess who's the highway king? It's a matter of who has the bigger balls to stay in it to see those speeds.

Drivetrain loss is not that much of a factor when you add in the additional traction. Even high powered FWD vehicles will spin the tires @ 60mph when they drop it into 3rd. Those precious seconds spent spinning does not equate to acceleration. And what did I say earlier? If your acceleration > theirs, you are faster/quicker. Period. Take two identical cars with 300whp, one is AWD, the other is FWD. AWD usually loses about 20-25% through the drivetrain. They'll put down roughly 230whp. The FWD guy will put down roughly 255whp (15% loss). With a difference of: 20WHP! Throw into account a few variance from the general population (tuning variances, elevation, freak motors, etc etc) and you're still about even.

AWD is not any more expensive than your typical RWD drivetrain. You have the same driveshaft. Rear differential. And axles. In the case of a DSM, spare parts are abundant. Less fuel efficient? Come on, we're talking about racing. This shouldn't even need to be brought up. You're really reaching for that one... If you're out to get the most performance out of any drive train layout, fuel efficiency should be the last thing on your mind.

To sum it up, you need traction in any form of competition. Slicks, adjustable struts/shocks, wheelie bars, etc...all work towards one goal: traction. In the real world, if you're not moving, you're snoozing.

BTW, why did the Skyline GTR get banned from competition in it's first few seasons of competition? Because it owned the competion. They had to have their own class strictly for this vehicle. AWD owns the twisties too. It's easy to setup the chassis to get a slight oversteer (especially if the center differential can be electronically controlled), and even easier to snap it back into line when you have 4 patches of tires tugging it through the apex. With RWD, you have a thin line between controlled oversteer or swinging the ass end out (ever watch the D1 drift events?). With technically only one and half drive wheel pushing you through the turn, traction comes and go depending on how well your suspension is dialed in.

19. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

gsx, AWD, Duhr! Need not say anymore.

20. victionone

victionone New Member

This thread is gay. This question should not even have been asked.

GSX>GST

21. T.A.M.

T.A.M. New Member

GO with the AWD. More traction = faster times

GXS>GST

22. Turbo240sx

Turbo240sx Still Spoolin'

GSX > GST, anyone who says otherwise has never driven/owned an AWD DSM

23. Branislav

Branislav orly?

gsx.

fwd sucks.

24. yrneh

yrneh Ralph Wiggum

I have a GST and dude, my advise is get a GSX.

25. Finest

Finest OG #93

:rofl:

Lesson learned.