MMA GSP at 185 & 205?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by RMarks, Feb 8, 2007.

1. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, who scored a stunning second-round TKO of longtime former champ Matt Hughes at UFC 65, would be willing to fight for the middleweight (185-pound) and even light heavyweight (205-pound) titles, according to a recent interview at MMANews.com. The Canadian, who recently inked a new six-fight deal with the UFC, says he’d be willing to move up in weight classes to satisfy his competitive desires if he’s in the need for competition.

Honestly, I think St. Pierre is going to have plenty of top-notch competition coming his way in the next couple of years. Diego Sanchez, Josh Koscheck, Karo Parisyan, and of course, Matt Hughes are all championship-caliber opponents who could be deserving of a title shot this year. St. Pierre also has an upcoming bout with The Ultimate Fighter season four welterweight winner Matt Serra that he must first deal with. However, despite the number of worthy opponents, I just don’t see St. Pierre losing his belt anytime soon.

But the mere mention that he’s willing to jump weight classes instantly makes those divisions all the more interesting and competitive. Could you imagine the magnitude of a St. Pierre vs. Anderson Silva or St. Pierre vs. Chuck Liddell main event? Good God.

Anyway, you’d be wise not to read too much into the comments. Although St. Pierre has “manned up” and proven he’ll fight anyone the UFC throws at him — and he’s proven he wants a challenge — I doubt the welterweight division will be lacking talent anytime soon.

In any manner, check out the interview at MMANews.com. I’ve listened to bits and pieces of it as time allows today. Other topics they discuss are St. Pierre’s thoughts on Travis Lutter not making weight at UFC 67, his thoughts on friend Davis Loiseau getting booted from the UFC, the upcoming Diego Sanchez vs. Josh Koscheck bout and more.

Full text preview is available at MMANews.com.

2. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I think he'll do great at middleweight, he's practically a giant compared to most of the people in the welterweight division. I'm positive he can take down silva down and gNp him, dunno if he can keep down there though. And his stand up is great but I don't think its on par with Silva's just yet.

LHW is risky but if he does gain the belt for welterweight and at middleweight and holds each belt until there are no contenders left, where else does he go? I'm not saying that he will win at LHW but what if he does gain the LHW belt? He could will go down as one of the greatest MMA fighters in history! This is just a hypothesis so don't flame my ass.

3. RMarks

RMarks New Member

listening to to this interview he said he walks around at 185, but if he were to fight at 205 he would start a weight lifting program to get himself a lot bigger haha

4. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

yeah right

5. MyLittleAirport

The guy will have to eat a lot, if he were to ever fight at 205. He would have to gain at least up to 220lbs just so he can cut down, that is if he doesn't want to be outmuscled by the people in that division.

unless he pulls a bj penn and just eat a lot and don't cut! :rofl:

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i dont ever wanna see him at 205....i think that would be stupid....185 fuck yea...

7. MyLittleAirport

I'm not too excited about him going to 205's either, he would have nothing to prove at that weight honestly. If anything, I wouldn't mind if he just stays at WW and pull a Matt Hughes and dominate for years.

8. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

He is a monster 185er he would handle 205 nicely I think.

ignore me I remembered he is a 170er.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  9. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

205 would be a horrible idea......I could see him and 185 but just like you said, theres quite a few welterweights that are gonna give him a little trouble, at least enough to keep him in the division :dunno:

Jesus, can you imagine GSP vs. Silva?! :eek5: Thatd be a helluva a war...

10. Kuet

Kuet New Member

after seeing lutter take him down , im confident GSP could take silva.... it would be an awesome fight though....awesome.

11. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

he should clean out the ww division first. still plenty of contenders left.

12. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

the ww division is already the strongest division in the UFC, theres plenty of talent there. no reason for him to move up for quite awhile :dunno:

13. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

He is in one of the most stacked divisions in MMA, he needs to stay where he is and keep training.

14. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Silva had surgery on both of his knees 11wks before the Lutter fight......