TAT growing dreds?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Tweekend, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Tweekend

Tweekend New Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but if it's not it'll get moved anyway right? OK..
    I'm interested in growing my hair out for dreds, but I've never had long hair in my life! So, I was wondering if your hair keeps growing or just goes to a certain length then stops do to genetics? I'm a guy BTW if there was any confusion..
    Now, what products or what do you have to do exactly to get dreds? What length does your hair have to be to start the process? Any info would help out, thanks

2. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

as far as i know, you hair doesn't really have to be a certain length. of course, it has to be long enough to actually lock together but maybe just below the jaw length would be good enough. as far as products needed, none that i know off. your hair has to be super greasey though to get dreds. i've heard people stop washing their hair for 2 months to get it greasy enough to dred. i've also heard of people putting egg in their hair instead of waiting 2 months.

3. menik

menik Guest

your hair doesnt have to be past your jaw, aroud nose length is good enough. When you start trying to dread get some aloe, wash your hair with it, then use it as gell and rub in a circular motion the hair together. U can also buy beeswax and do the same, cept you dont wash your hair with it, just do the circles.

4. echidna

echidna New Member

or use bar soap to wash it.

5. AnabolicBMX

AnabolicBMX New Member

what texture is your hair? there are different methods for different grains of hair.

6. Tweekend

Tweekend New Member

well, I'm half cherokee indian, so I have a pretty thick set of hair, it gets slightly wavy when it gets longer, like it's not flat-straight, but it's no where near curly either

7. KriZZeaM

KriZZeaM New Member

best length to start is 3-4 inches.......
    wash with residue free shampoo.........
    enter world of dreads by locking them up........
    have fun.

im growing my hair out for dreads as we speak, i got a ways to go but im super excited about it.

8. grass

grass Guest

You have all kinds of options when you first start. You'll find all sorts of good information here: http://www.dreadheadhq.com/

I did the rubbing method to get mine started. My hair was around 2-3 inches at the time so it was pretty easy to get them started. One side at a time rub your hair with a towel in a circular motion until your arms get wore out.

The main key is keep your hair dry and as free from all grease (beeswax and natural grease)

If you use this method you'll have a fro for the first month or so, like you just put your finger in a light socket. It will take some time before your hair starts to lay down (tips on this at dreadheadhq)

The shampoo you use will also help a great deal, make sure you get something without a scent (if possible) or any type of conditioner.
    Using bar soap or dish soap (the right kinds) will also help.. The best thing I've found (less mess) is the dreadheadhq shampoo page.

All of this really depends on your hair type, length, and the style dreads you're interested in.

If you have thin fine hair or longer hair already I wouldn't recommend this. If you have this type of hair you may want to check into the backcombing method.

2 most popular methods:

Rubbing method will give you more natural looking dreads. You get it started and pretty much let it grow on its own. Mine has been going for about 1 1/2 years now. This method takes time but looks better imo.

Backcombing method will use products like beeswax and show results very soon. All the dreads will be about the same size, you'll hardly have loose hair (products will hide it), it will probably look like you just walked out of the hair place and had it professionally done.

Just have patients with it and you'll get good results.
    Hope this helps.

9. grass

grass Guest

btw your hair type should work great for this

10. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

im so damn interested in doing this.. too bad i just buzzed off all my hair :(

oh well.. while it grows back i have time to think about doing it and learning about it

11. jls

jls New Member

I was shiny bald when I decided to start growing mine out for dreads :o I'm getting there :x:

12. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I kinda want to get dreads. I wish there was a way to see how they would look before I went through the trouble of doing it. But I guess it's that way with any type of haircut! Wont know until you try.

13. grass

grass Guest

You could always put a mop on your head, just to get an idea how things will look.