SRS Group Therapy Ideas! Please Help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LuciferBowels, Jul 25, 2007.

1. LuciferBowels

LuciferBowels New Member

Hi everyone. I rarely post on OT but I need the power of OT to help me and a lot of recovering addicts. I recently was hired at a drug and alcohol detox clinic. In the beginning I did basic paper work, admissions, and talked to the patients one on one but now I am being asked to run groups. Five days a week I will be asked to run 2 hours of group therapy.

The problem is I have no groups to run. I have no experience with recovery and I just graduated. If you can use your own experience in rehab, or insight with recovery to conjure up some group ideas it would be much appreciated. This is an opportunity to reach hundreds of addicts in their most vulnerable stages of recovery

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

do you have any personal experience with addiction/recovery? what exactly are your groups supposed to be about?

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

any specific questions? i will do my best.

4. LuciferBowels

LuciferBowels New Member

I have no personal experience. The groups can be about anything. Reading out of the big book, coping skills, relapse prevention. Just a creative way to discuss recovery.

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

have you ever sat in on a 12 step meeting to get an idea of what you want?

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

One technique I used when I was asked to chair AA meetings early in my recovery was to simply pick a topic and find something to read out of the big book. Then I'd just shut up and either call on people or start a "tag" session where the last speaker would pick the next speaker.

There's a book called "As Bill Sees It", it's AA approved literature by the way. In the front of that book it's got all kinds of subjects listed and the pages for those subjects. Then when you flip to the pages you'll see excerpts from all of the rest of the AA literature but only those excerpts that pertain to your subject. You might see quotes from both the big book and the 12X12 or any of the other literature.

I would suggest you spend time before each meeting and prepare. Pick the topic from that book then read passages in the book and only use those that you think will be very effective. Then use those to get the meeting started. You can then keep your mouth closed and help to keep the meeting on track. So if some people wander way off topic or are rambling, you can very gently try to steer them back on topic.

You can also put a time limit on sharing, like no more than 10 minutes. This can help to keep one person from monopolizing the meetings.

The most important thing is to realize that YOU are not going to get or keep anyone sober. You simply aren't that powerful. Remember it's our Higher Powers that get and keep us sober. So stay humble and keep a attitude of open mindedness. Oh and it would really help if you start attending open AA meetings to see how they are run.

Also don't be afraid to ask your co-workers for suggestions.

Good luck and God Bless.

7. LuciferBowels

LuciferBowels New Member

thanks for the advice, I have read very limited AA literature this far. But I have been to 4-5 AA meetings, all speaker meetings though. Im going to start off sticking to 'the big book' and 'as bill see's it' early on, then when I get more balls ill start being more creative with the meetings.