GUN Group buy on Nagant 1895 revolvers?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Peak_Oil, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

Any of you guys interested?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895

http://www.world.guns.ru/handguns/hg102-e.htm

The short story is they're 7-shot revolvers made in an old design from Russia. They are slow to load because the cylinder doesn't swing out, and they use a rare cartridge that isn't all that cheap. On the plus side, they are very inexpensive, are known to Russians as very high quality, and have a feature unique to revolvers -- they can be fitted with a silencer.

The cylinder moves forward on the trigger pull to become flush with the barrel so there's no gas escaping behind the forcing cone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

Century has a sale going right now, order three or more and get free shipping. I can't see the sale price right now because I don't have my C&R yet, but I've seen them elsewhere for $80. I think they would be less than $80.

They shoot 7.62x38R and .32 magnum rounds w/o modification, or so I am led to believe.

I thought these would be nice to have as a handout gun or something cheap to stick in a backpack or the trunk of a car or something like that. I'll be carrying my Glock, but a backup would be nice to have. And, these revolvers use a 9mm suppressor, so one suppressor would fit all the pistols I have.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What's the process for putting together a group buy on OT? I'm local to Portland, OR... maybe I should just put this together for the oregon/washington area.

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

would make an excellent throw down gun, among other uses..

3. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

They can also shoot 32 S&W Long from what I've read. You should talk to Saxman about group buys, he's on here and he also organized the Sig P6 police trade in group buy over on Calguns.net.

4. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I heard my name

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Yes.

I'd be in but I already have one.

6. Buzz Killington

That's if you shoot 7.62 Nagant BTW

7. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

How do you like yours? From the descriptions I've read, it seemed like an easy shooting revolver with the exception of a stiff trigger pull. I've also read that the trigger pull can be lightened up enough to make it a better shooter.

Is the kick pretty mild? How's the accuracy? I read that they are consistent, but the point of aim varies a little from gun to gun.

I was thinking about picking up five or so and having them handy as pass-outs. There's no way I'd do that with Glocks or S&W revolvers, I couldn't afford it at all. 1200 rounds was about $150 or so, IIRC. That would make for a nice little package to have around.

It would run me about $600 to have five revolvers with a little over 200 rounds each to hand out to friends. That seems like a worthwhile investment to me, as long as the guns are decent quality.

As a current owner, what do you think of them?

8. Buzz Killington

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3618571

It's a good deal. I like to shoot it. Where else can you get a well-made, durbale handgun for that cheap?

9. Buzz Killington

BTW I got my Southern Ohio Gun flyer last night and they are selling them for $69 plus shipping, maybe $64 on 2 or more.

If I recall correctly, 01 FFLs do not need to ship handguns overnight, thus saving on shipping.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I hate my fucking state, c&r handguns still have to go through a normal FFL :greddy: after transfer fees I'd still be looking at about $120 for one.

11. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

How do you plan on silencing a revolver? Am I stupid?

12. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Same here in CA.

13. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Clarification: These are not two unrelated questions.

14. springy101

With the 7.62 Nagant round, the bullet is recessed inside the case and the cylinder moves forward creating a seal.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

16. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

Can I get a count of who would be interested in a group buy on this revolver, and whether you live in the Oregon/Washington area? Let's see if there's enough interest to move forward.

If there's interest, I plan on moving forward with taking orders and collecting money in about six weeks.

If there's only a few, then I might as well just order my five and call it a day. Let's see who wants one.

17. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

like buzz said earlier, order them from SOG. they are 69.95 for one, 67.95 for 3 or more. add $5 each for handpick

SOG's a pretty good place to deal with too. I've never dealt with them directly, but I've bought 3 or 4 guns that my FFL has gotten from them

18. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

i already have 2

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I feel like I'm being that guy but you can't use your C&R to buy guns for other people in this fashion, I believe it would be seen as dealing. When you go to renew your license you'll be asked how many guns you acquired and disposed of. Higher numbers are probably likely to draw scrutiny. When you're done I believe the atf often asks for a c&r holders bound book to be mailed in. If you're one of the unlucky few that gets audited I think something like that could draw suspicion. If you told them what is said in this thread I'd think problems would follow. You probably could buy 5 and keep the best for your collection and sell the rest. Use caution, remember your C&R is for your personal connection, not to turn you into a firearms hookup for your buddies. You don't want your dog shot and the house burned down.

20. springy101

Are you kidding me? So really the only reason to get one here is for the discount?

21. Noparking

Noparking Platinum Member OT Supporter

i might be in for this

22. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

03 FFL's are not required to turn over a bound book if they don't renew their license, only 01's. When I renewed mine, they didn't ask how many guns I bought either, they didn't even send a renewal form, I just had to fill out a new application and send it in.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Not required to and not asked to are different matters much like how some people get a site visit before they get their license like if they were a dealer. I don't know if some atf employees just handle the c&r wrong or what. Some guys get asked to send in a bound book after they don't renew. I suppose you could argue that. Lets say its a random audit then. Either way I think its playing with fire, ymmv.

Did your license lapse because they didn't send your renewal paperwork? The renewal form asks:
    How many firearms have you bought or acquired with your firearms license over the past 3 years?
    How many firearms have you sold or disposed of with your license over the past 3 years?

24. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

No, I hadn't gotten a renewal notice so I called and asked about a month in advance. The lady on the phone said just send in an application as if you were applying for a new one. I got my new one in the mail a week later.

I know a bunch of guys that got out of C&R, none were asked for bound books or records. I know they crawl up the ass of 01's for the documenation though when they don't renew. It could depend on what field office you deal with, they might be more of a pain in the ass about it in Illinois than here in Ohio.

25. texchef

texchef Guest

If I don't have C&R can I still get in on this. How so?