Ground loop help needed...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LOtown, Mar 19, 2007.

1. LOtown

LOtown Active Member

I bought an Onkyo TX-SR604 and Polk Monitor 60's 2 weeks ago (love the receiver/speakers btw) and after hooking it up discovered that I have a ground loop issue...When I have my cable box plugged in I get faint pink bands scrolling on the screen and an audible hum coming from the speakers...Disconnect the cable and it all goes away...

I bought a UPS/Surge protector as some people on AVSforum recommended, and it didn't help...Then I tried running the cable line itself through the UPS/Surge Protector which worked, but then I lost my HD channels (lost some entirely, others flickered in and out)...

What can I do to correct this? I checked my cable boxes ground outside and all the connections look clean/tight...

2. Create

Create :free at last:

What, exactly, was plugged into the surge protector?

3. LOtown

LOtown Active Member

TV, Cable Box/DVR, Receiver, Xbox. Same results with multiple surge protectors, and using different outlets. The only thing that makes the pink bands go away is if I unplugged the coax to the cable box.

I've read this is a fairly common issue...I just wish i could find a fix for it...

4. Create

Create :free at last:

Have you tried wiring the cable box output through different components, such as having it run through the audio receiver?

...very curious...

5. LOtown

LOtown Active Member

I run the cable box output through the receiver currently.