Gripper study...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ilyusha, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

I did a study on motor unit muscle recruitment and elbow angle effect on strength/motor unit recruitment while gripping something (in this experiment's case it was 3 grippers).

I'm not going to post the graphs unless someone really wants me to, but we had about 15 people do the test, which was 3 grippers at 3 different elbow angles (30 degrees, 90 degrees, and 180 degrees.. so each gripper at each angle, then move up in gripper strength, repeat, etc.) and the results were interesting: people recruited more motor units in their forearm at 30 degrees (arm near shoulder) than at 90 degrees (2nd place) or 180 degrees (arm stretched out). Also, predictably, people recruited 250% more motor units at a higher resistance level (IronMind #1) than the lowest level (random store brand gripper "Medium").

It was a pretty interesting study, and although there are a variety of factors which could have played a role in the results, it would be wise for someone to try and position their arm in different ways before seein what kind of arm position works best for their grip.

2. Grouch

Grouch Guest

very cool. Would you mind PMing me or emailing me a copy of the study or something so I can post the results on gripboard?

3. Candy B's

Candy B's New Member

I just bought a HG 150 last night, should be here tomorrow. I hope I can close it.:x:

4. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Interesting info. I would have thought the opposite - that more motor units were used with an outstretched arm.

5. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

What's your e-mail? I'll send you some graphs, which are pretty self explanatory, and if you have any questions you can ask away.

6. onslaught61

onslaught61 OT Supporter

hmm interesting...maybe thats the secret to closing the #4's...

7. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Well, our hypothesis was twofold:

1. There would be more motor unit recruitment at higher grip resistances than lower grip resistances. - This was proven to be correct.

2. There would be more motor unit recruitment at a larger elbow angle than at a smaller elbow angle. - This was disproven according to our study.

8. Grouch

Grouch Guest

delete some PM yo

9. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

did you guys find out why one can exert more force as the elbow angle gets smaller? seems counter-intuitive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.