Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher v.Having a hard time removing swirls

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jsilas, May 6, 2008.

1. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

Detailing Crew (and hopefully Scottwax),

Last year, I purchased the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher, and have used it a few times on my car and my wifes car. I always use the appropriate Griot's orange or red pads depending on what product I'm applying. And the products? You guessed it; Griot's Garage Machine Polish (I have 1, 2, and 3) and both Griot's Garage Best of Show Liquid Wax and Carnuaba Paste Wax.

So my question is kinda two-fold.

First, I want to know if the products I'm using are good products. I've gotten the impression from OT that they're not that great, but then again, it's OT, so I take everything with a grain of salt. Assuming I don't care about the price of the products, are Griot's Garage products of high quality and good to use?

My second question is regarding swirls in the paint. I do not have tons of swirls like some paint I've seen, but I can never get that flawless smooth finish that I see in Scottwax photos here and on Autopia. I'm wondering if it's my technique that's lacking (probably), or if my tools/products just aren't doing a good job.

My car is nothing fancy; I drive a 2001 Acura CL and my wife has a 2003 Honda Accord, but I want to keep them in the best shape possible.

TIA :wavey:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The Griots polisher isn't any more powerful than the PC 7424. You'd really need to step up to the Flex 3401 (DA/RO buffer with forced rotation mode) or a rotary to get the best results. The UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine) and Meguiars G110 are also a step up from the Griots Polisher or PC, but only a moderate step up.

Griots makes some good products but you can get better stuff cheaper.

Before upgrading your buffer, look into trying Meguiars #105 with a Meguiars yellow polishing pad for heavy swirl removal.

3. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

Thank you very much Scottwax; this is exactly the type of information I was hoping for.

:wavey: