Grinding gears...EEK!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by buriedtreasure, Aug 13, 2006.

1. buriedtreasure

buriedtreasure New Member

Okay, so I drive a pansy truck (2003 Explorer Sport Trac). I've owned it for a little over 2 years now and it only has 30,XXX miles on it. It only had about 7K when I bought it. Any way...

The other day I was drivin' and coming from the fact that I live in Houston, we have A LOT of a-hole drivers. Well, someone sped up to try to keep me from getting on the entrance ramp, so I floored it. Smooth into second (this was from a stop merging onto the feeder road), get into high second, then the gears f'n grind like hell into third. Now, I have a really strong third gear, so it was really noticable.

I thought that it might've just been a weird slip and so I just shrugged it off. Well, the other day I decided to floor it not once, but twice, and it did the same thing. Should I have it looked at? I've done it again and it doesn't always do it, but has about 3/5 times.

Also, these things are supposed to get 17mpg rural and 21mpg highway. Well, I'm getting an average of 16mpg and I drive almost ALL highway. Any idea what could be up? I know that those numbers are under perfect conditions, but I used to get a lot better gas mileage than that. It's not the ethanol. It's not my air filter (brand new). Any ideas?

2. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

If you cant find em', grind em'

3. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

is it a stick or an auto?

i didn't know they made stick sport tracks

4. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

:hsugh: auto

5. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

time for a 30K mile tune up...

and put some seafoam through the gas and oil...

grinding gears....sounds like the syncro is going out on you...needs to get fixed.