Grinding/Crunching feel below my feet on turns?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by popsnbeer, Jun 11, 2009.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4.

When I take turns (left and right), there is a feeling of grinding/crunching below my feet under the floorboards. At first I thought it was specific to the drivers front, however after sitting in all seats after having someone else drive, this feeling is evident all throughout the cab.

Not sure what the problem is but the dealer is replacing the body mounts. You guys think this could solve the problem?

Originally I was thinking something like Ujoints, but there is no feel of the grinding in the steering wheel and only when the truck turns hard enough to get the body to roll.

What's your thoughts on this OT? :x:

*oh, and trollers can stay out*

2. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Could be body mounts. I've heard of some 3rd gen Dakotas having body mount bolts come loose causing various sounds like you describe, it's possible the mounts are bad or replaced by an updated part.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

hmm. yeah. they tried tightening them but that did not work. bringing it in tomorrow to get all new body mounts on it. i will update with how that goes.

4. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

there is a very easy way to check body mounts ....

park vehicle on flat ground
    recruit friend with beer
    get friend drunk
    challenge friend to shake the vehicle as hard as possible
    lay on ground under framerail
    watch for movement
    kick friend in nuts for dislodging dirt from vehicle that finds its way into your eye

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

lol...thanks for the help. The dealer went ahead and replaced all the mounts. It fixed the problem, so that's nice! Not sure which one(s) were bad though :) Now onto finding a way to get this trucks frame further away from the ground...not too many lifts for the 3rd gen Dakota (though I understand why).