Grey boot screen lasting longer and longer...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Apr 20, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Some background info first-- PowerBook G4 1.67ghz, 1.5 gigs ram. I installed Leopard around October, I think. A few months ago Apple replaced my logic board. When they gave it back to me, they said my 1 gig Crucial chip was bad, but I reinstalled it and my laptop works just fine.

Recently when I power on or reboot, they grey screen shows up, and eventually I get a pinwheel for about a minute. Then OS X opens like usual. I never used to get the pinwheel until about a month ago. Now it just seems like the pinwheel stays longer and longer. Seems like it booted faster with 1 gig ram before the logic board replacement.

Any ideas?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

could just be a leopard thing, my macbook sits in on the gray screen for probably 20 seconds before it hits the blue screen, then finally boots.

when i first installed leopard, it booted in about 35 seconds, now i'm looking at close to a minute. tiger used to boot in about 18 seconds

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

That's what I don't get-- Tiger boot time never changed. Leopard keeps getting longer.

4. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

if you have alot of junk on your desktop it slows down, alot of drivers to load,etc. Maybe you have extensions installed not fully compatible with leopard. Leopard is sort of a mess if you ask me, im not satisfied.