GUN Grendel is almost done *PICS*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Jan 27, 2009.

1. My original plan for my Grendel build was to use a 24" barrel and make a super long range gun out of it. After a bit of thinking I realized that I really never shoot past 300 yards and anything other than benchrest or prone with a bipod wouldn't be much fun with a 24" barrel, so I sold it. In the meanwhile my dad had ordered a 16" barrel for a Grendel build, but hadn't bothered to buy any other parts for it. So, I finally got almost everything I needed to finish the build (I still need a middy gas tube and bolt carrier) and figured I'd throw it together to see if I liked it. I didn't torque anything down. Honestly, I'm debating whether I even really want this rifle. I figure I can take it apart and sell what I don't want for at least what I paid for it if I decide to go another route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:cool: looks good

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

keep it!

and let me shoot it. :mamoru::x:

4. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

looking good man

5. Thanks guys. My problem is that I don't really have anywhere to shoot past 300 yards, and I don't hunt, so I'm having a hard time thinking of a role for this gun to fill. I'd feel bad just plinking with it.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Looks cool.

A 7WSM or 223AI would look even better though *grin*.

7. I know. :hs:

I was reading about the 7WSM vs. the 7SAUM, and I think I might like the SAUM even more, even though it's less popular. It has a smaller case volume, but can match the WSM's velocity with less powder usage. It also has a longer neck that allows you to play with seating depths more than the WSM.

8. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

my G build is probally going to look pretty damm close to yours

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

well it's got a nice handguard...

I would of at least went with a 20" barrel. If your were building a 300 yard gun you could use a 223.

I'm biased because I'm planning something similar but it is going to be a dedicated 700 yard rifle for mgm ironman and I will not need to run with it.

10. That's my point. I really don't know what I'd use this for that I couldn't do with a .223 As to the 700 yard thing, as long as you know your distances, you can use a 16" 18" 20" or 24" just fine at 700 yards, you'll just have to dial in a little more elevation with the shorter barrels, and the wind will have a tiny bit more effect on the shorter barreled rifles. The problem with the longer barrels is a huge forward weight bias. A 24" barrel weighs more than twice what the 16" weighs.

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would want all the energy possible to activate a larue or flasher. All kinds of funny stuff works against you during a match such as wind pushing on the back of the flasher. I want to hit the bitches with enough athority that they activate even on a low or edge shot. I also want them to flash or drop in such a manner that there is no doubt it was hit.

12. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

you need one of these
    http://98bravo.com/
    myself,i`m goin with either a 18"or 20 inchers.depending on the lead time,it will be a satern barrel.if its too long of a wait,im goin with a CSS*LW*
    but i have to get this got damm 6.8 build finished

13. What bullet are you looking to use? AA has a couple of charts that compare external ballistics between various barrel lengths. If you're using the Lapua Scenar, which is a very popular choice, the 19.5" barrel will give you 682 ft-lbs @ 700. The 16" barrel will give you 630 ft-lbs @ 700. I'm sure either of them would be enough to knock a target down. For comparison, a 77gr .223 @ 400 yards would yield similar energy.

AA Chart: http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel_ballistics.pdf

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

IMHO ditch the A2 and get a crane stock.

15. I went with the A2 stock because it's simple and rock solid. The only other stock I really considered was the PRS, but not only are they almost impossible to find, they're 3x the cost of the A2 stock.

16. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Cool name.

"In the poem, Grendel is feared by all but Beowulf."

17. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Good looking build, but I'm in the same boat as you. I want to buy/build another rifle but since I don't shoot past 300yds I can't really justify a different caliber than 5.56. :hs:

18. thebox

thebox New Member

sell it to me :hsughno:

19. I'm so torn about what to do. :hs:

I've got almost $700 into the upper as it sits now. It still needs a bolt carrier, gas tube, and charging handle (the charging handle pictured is from another AR.) I really don't want to sell the lower. I've got a little more than $500 into the lower.

20. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

what trigger you got in that bitch

21. It's a Jewell.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

just keep going. it'll be a sweet build.

what are you looking at for optics?

23. I was going to rob one of my dad's Nightforce NXS from him, but he shot that idea down. I'll probably buy one if I keep the rifle.

Edit: Hell, that's probably overkill for a 16" barreled rifle I'd likely never shoot over 300 yards anyways. Maybe I'd just get an Accupoint or something.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

accupoint, or even look into the trijicon 3x30. excellent lightweight optic

25. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Nice build. :coold: But yeah it doesn't sound like you have much of a use for it. The primary purpose I want one is: 300+ yards effective range and for hunting.