MIL Greetings from Fort Benning OCS!!1 v.cool

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Noah, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

Hey all...

Just wanted to give you a quick heads up from Fort Benning, GA, while I'm here for OCS. Class 09-06, 3/11 Charlie Co!

Started OCS nearly a week ago now and the first thing I have to say is WOW. OCS is un-real! We are treated, thus far, like gentleman and allowed a HUGE amount of personal freedom for both formations and personal time. :bigthumb: We have 4 4-day passes thoughout the 14-week cycle, generally finish training right at about 1800 and then prepare for the next days events. Tomorrow we have our first ruck march plus Water Training. Joy.

As for me, I'm coming right out of Fort Bennings BCTB at Delta 2/47. Here at OCS, day 1, I was made Squad Leader! Naturally the Plt Sgt injured herself today so I got promoted to Plt Sgt with no experience. Lemme tell ya marching troops is a hell of a lot harder than I expected! I was quickly replaced by a Prior Service guy with a great deal more experince than myself. Beyond that, OCS fucking rocks! :coold:

If anyone is in or near Fort Benning, lemme know. Not this weekend, but next, I have a 4-day pass and intend on staying at the Holiday Inn off exit 7. Shoot me an e-mail or PM and I'll get back too ya. :wavey:

2. hitnrun99

hitnrun99 New Member

What's your MOS? What's the level of PT like so far? How's the classroom instruction going?

3. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

4. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

did you have a cadet in delta 2/47?

5. JSin

JSin New Member

Wow. Things sure have changed in the 3 months since I've been there, but then again your in Charlie company so... We didn't get more than 30 minutes of personal hygiene/personal time until week 8. And released at 1800, lol, no way man. Well, hopefully our comments in our end of class AAR about OCS being more of a gentlemans course lead to what it is today. Hopefully hopeful LT's will accept the added responsibility and not take advantage of it. Good luck man. I was Bravo company in 2/47 for basic and the infamous Alphtraz for OCS. Find out your branch yet? I'll be back in Benning for Airborne at the beginning of next year.

6. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting.

Enjoy it.

7. Noah

From Delta 2/47, we had 23 OCS folks. All of whom are here in Charlie now. Makes for good fun! Were you looking for someone by name??

Also we had our offical class opening earlier today, and met with a Medal of Honor recepitant!!

MAC classes tomorrow, Land Nav and then a 6 hour on-post pass. Cool huh!

:wiggle:

8. eter

eter New Member

Sounds pretty much like our basic officer training. Apart from the first 4 weeks of indoc during which we were treated like shit, we progressively got to a point where we basically just had classes during the day ("Death by powerpoint") and could prepare/chill during the evenings (but this was like 9 weeks into it). Of course we became shit again once we were out in the field :rofl: What surprised me most were the individual rooms and the fact all our staff called us by "Mr." and our last names.

You wouldn't happen to know a Jason Dozier, would you? old friend of mine at OCS right now.

9. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

i meant like a cadet attached as cadre
    one of my friends was doing that in benning, and i thought he was in Delta 2/47 but i could be wrong

10. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

fucking pussy shit.

go through a hard ROTC program for a real experience. 4 day passes... HA fuckin-a man. Nobody should be having FUN at military training. Obviously those training you have failed.

I'm dead serious. You'll have a lot more responsibility than you can imagine as an officer.

Anyway, don't get your guys killed.

Welcome to the Gold.

11. eter

eter New Member

maybe they've made OCS too easy, but if that isn't the case in my eyes its a good sign when someone can enjoy their training. ruck marches are the hardest on the guys who have their heads down and want it to be over from the minute it started. people that are really into it on the other hand (that I guess you could consider are "having fun") find it a lot easier, but that doesn't mean it wasn't sufficiently demanding.

12. Noah

OCS is being more in-line with how a regular Army unit would be run today. The Cadre do not set formation times, and so-forth. Rather the Student "NCO's"/Leaders set that and we comply. Shit only hits the fan if we are late and have to make the Cadre wait on us. We have enough rope to hang ourselves with and provided we do not abuse the system in place, than the rope with lengthen.

I think the system works very well. Student Leaders correcting their Squad Leader, the 1SG correcting the Platoon Sgt, etc etc. Each Platoon is being run like a company would be run; op orders issued, training events, etc etc. The learning curve is, I think, quicker with things performed in this manner. :coold:

Anyway, Sunday is a a 4-hour pass from 0800 to 1200 for Church Services. I've some papers to compose....back to work.

:wavey:

13. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

One of the biggest benefits I got from my training was learning to deal with stress and still make command decisions under extended periods of stress and (low levels of) sleep deprivation and exaustion.

14. Noah

Very rough! In fact, we've been given another on-post pass from 1600 until 2100. Darn.

Rough life...lemme tell ya.