MIL Green to Blue and Reserve to Active

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by egxflash, Nov 9, 2007.

1. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

Okay gents, been in 2 years in the good old Marine Corps, and dont get me wrong i love it but being reservist I stuck myself with a job as an radio operator.

Anyway, the life of a reservist isnt quite what i expected it to be and i find it lacking so i wanna go active but im a little lost as to what avenues i have in order to make that happen.

Also, i just recently went out with this one sailor girl stationed at a Naval base by where i live and damn, they have nice barracks compared to what my buddies live in at 29 and Pendleton, so for the sake of standards of living, i really wanted to check out the air force or maybe even the navy (not too hot on that one though)

yea yea i know im gonna get bashed from all the oorah devildogs here but please, any legit information would be really appreciated. Ive tried going back in this forum and i cant find any information on the matter.

2. egxflash

and i got a 97 on my asvab and my GT scores and all those were well above average if that helps.

3. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

fact

but since you're already familiar with the Navy in more ways then one....might be an easier transition for you.

4. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

if you are not too old, and medical qual become a loadmaster.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

truth.mil

But not if you are married. You'll be on flight status and will probably be gone more than you are home.

6. FATBOY

FATBOY OT Supporter

I don't know for sure, but I think the AF is still not letting prior service members in.

7. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

you scored a 97 and joined the marines? :eek4:

USAF > *.qualityoflife

8. ChuckStar

ChuckStar New Member

yea they are letting prior service in.. under certain AFSCs though

9. FATBOY

FATBOY OT Supporter

Here you go.

I completely forgot about them opening up these career fields.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

wow. 40. :ugh:

11. USMC7684

USMC7684 OT Supporter

I scored a 95 and joined the Marines. Nothing against you but I hate the stereotype. Plenty of my buddies scored high enough to enter any branch and get any job they want. From my experience I've found that asvab scores and intelligence have almost nothing to do with what branch you join.

12. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

according to the airforce.com website, prior service enlistment is currently closed. trust me, ive been keeping an eye on it

13. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I was in the Marines, now in the chair force, well air national guard actually. And I also live in Oxnard. I also have a buddy in the unit who was also a Marine. Let me know what questions you may have. Just a note, we're both thinking about going back to the Corps, with a commission though. He's about to finish with his BS, and i'm working on my AS right now.

Oh yeah, we're Loadmasters.

14. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

The biggest thing to remember is that you're going into what is probably the most corporate minded branch. That and getting in right now will be difficult at best.

15. egxflash

thanks for the info, gents. it helped a lot. one thing though, what exactly is a loadmaster?

are you out of PT Mugu? wheres your buddy stationed at? Im out of 2/23 in Pasadena.

16. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

A loadmaster is the guy that sleeps on his hammock in the back of a cargo plane, ie: C5, C130, C17. They do essentially nothing, their lowest ranking enlisted act like they're fucking Colonels, and they get treated like Gods. If you do join the Air Force and don't mind being the most despised person on base, be a loadmaster. If you want a little of the "we're gonna get fucked" mentality to follow you from the Corps, come in the AF as an aircraft maintainer. I've ben told by many Marines and Army that the crew chiefs are the infantry of the Air Force. But we still have the better quality of life.

17. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

our base is next to Pt Mugu, right when you get off PCH on Hueneme Rd. that's us in the corner, we share the runway with Mugu. I'm met some guys from 2/23 out of Hueneme.

LOL, he's kinda right and wrong on that one. We have the new C-130 J models, so we only have a crew of 3, 2 pilots and a loadmaster, except in theatre, we have 2 loadmasters.
    Since we no longer have a flight engineer and navigator, we take up the slack, we're essentially loadmasters and Flight engineers. We do the preflight and power up of the plane. loading of cargo, pax, troops, ammo, prisoners, caskets of our fallen troops..etc.. If we can fit it, we'll haul it.

Loadmasters also rig the plane for air drops of personnel and cargo. Fun stuff. Our unit is also tasked with forest fire fighting.

As for being Gods, well umm..duh..lol. Being in the guard, its so fucking laid back. Even active duty airforce hates us. Like most guard units, everyone is on a first name basis. Anywhere we fly to, we stay at hotels mostly, 5 star too! and we all charge it to our government charge cards. meals, rooms, car rentals...etc. And we still get per diem,flight pay, and other bonuses.

It did take a while to get used to it though, coming from the Corps. I was Sir this, Sir that , for a while. My name patch doesnt even have my rank or service on it, just my wings and name.

Dont get me wrong, when we work, we works our asses off. Specially over in the sandbox.

18. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Sure hope they never find out what goes on in my office. 99% of my day is spent with premium quality FOT or charlie baker time.