Greatly confused with ADSL and modem.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by curchefri, Aug 22, 2005.

1. curchefri

curchefri New Member

Ive currently got an ADSL2 service running to my house. The modem is a Paradyne 6381-A1-200 modem which reports as working with ADSL and ReachDSL. I called the tech support for my area and the guy told me that that modem would do ADSL2. However, research online hasnt yielded anything about that modem working well with ADSL2. Ive been considering buying the Paradyne A381-A3 modem series which says it works flawlessly with ADSL2 and ADSL2+.
    One note. My current service is with ACD.NET and the modem DOES work.
    The technician that came out to hook up my service said I would get better speeds with a new modem. But another technician I spoke with on the phone (to try and purchase said modem) informed me that since it was working already I wouldn't need a new modem.

Im kinda confused on the whole thing.
    Here are the spec sheets for both modems.
    http://www.paradyne.com/products/6300/ <---ADSL2 modem. It mentions all other modems except the one I have.
    :ugh:
    I can't seem to find a datasheet for the 6381-a1-200 model which specifies the frequencies BUT i do remember that it did NOT have these
    ITU G.992.3 (ADSL2)
    ITU G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
    which i believe are required for ADSL2.
    Any clarity would be greatly appreciated. The newer modem is only 70 bucks so I may end up buying it. But i'd like to know whats going on first.