Greatest Flaw in the Matrix universe....

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by troglodyte, Nov 21, 2003.

1. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Well, it could be considered a flaw:

The machines are actually being benevolent toward their former masters. The world lay in ruins and there is no way the planet could sustain all the people currently in the Matrix. However, the Matrix does allow people a full and complete life. Sure, the humans are powering the machines but the machines give humans something back in return. It can be seen as a symbiotic relationship.

2. DB81

DB81 Guest

Thats pretty much the whole point of the series I think - its not a "Terminator" style war where the machines simply want to wipe humans out, they just want to co-exist.

3. kentertainer

kentertainer Guest

Red Pill!

I have to disagree. How does making a person's entire existence into a lie constitute a "full and complete life"? They don't have a life, they have a lie. That's why Morpheus and the others want to set them free. Sure, compared to what the machines could do to the humans, you might say they're being benevolent. But that would be like me killing someone and then saying that I was benevolent because of the fact that I didn't torture them first.

Okay, hypothetical question. Suppose, for example, that you had the same choice that Neo had in the first matrix, the red pill or the blue pill. And also, let's go as far as to say that the humans had even accepted the first matrix, the one that was supposed to be perfect. What would you rather do: live in a perfect "virtual" reality, or live in an actual reality, even if it is far from perfect? Personally, I'd take an imperfect reality over a "perfect" non-reality any day of the week. Red pill all the way!

4. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk New Member

I think the point of the blue pill was human's desire for the truth.

5. Incubusalec

Incubusalec Guest

The reason the matrix is there for the humans is not to just give something back out of kindness. If the human brain is inactive, and is not thinking, then it will not produce near as much electricity than an inactive brain. So out of sheer efficiency, the matrix was created to produce more electricity.

6. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

Honestly, I would take the perfect lie.....

7. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

And so would billions of other people. It may not be intentional benevolence, but millions of humans would die if release from the Matrix. There is simply not enough food production to keep them all alive. And, just what the hell are they going to do if freed? At least, in the Matrix a family can go to Disney Land for a vacation. The machines could have created a world of constant fear. This would really keep the brain the functioning. However, they simply made a world where people can live out their lives experiencing things they never could in the real world.

It may not be intentional, but the machines really are doing humans a favor.

8. kentertainer

kentertainer Guest

Interesting

That's really interesting. This kinda goes against the whole idea of the movie, with Neo being the protagonist. From this view, Morpheus, Neo, Trinity, and that whole crew would have to be the bad guys. I would rather suffer and die taking the red pill than live a so-called "perfect" life with the blue pill.

9. swz

swz OT Supporter

Holy no avatars!

10. masamune

masamune New Member

i think you're a tard if u choose to live that shitty hell they had to go thru outside of the matrix

11. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

I would love to have an avatar....but as a poor college student I can't even afford the few bucks it would take....

12. kentertainer

kentertainer Guest

'Tard?

So you would say the whole Nebuchadnezzar crew, including Morpheus, Trinity, and Neo, are all "tards"? That's crazy. What happened to the idea of the hero? Someone who makes sacrifices for the greater good. Do they no longer exist? Is the world so disillusioned that we'd rather live a painless lie than accept the reality of the truth? Someone please speak up and tell me that I am not alone in my stance!

13. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

What good is knowing the truth when you are powerless to affect it?

14. kentertainer

kentertainer Guest

But...

But they are affecting it. The humans are fighting a war against the machines, and they're actually gaining ground! And what's more, if you've seen Revolutions, Neo made freedom possible for anyone who wants to to be freed. Once freed, they can join the battle. The more that join the battle, the greater their chances of ultimate victory. In the words of Morpheus, "Isn't that worth fighting for?" Once they are free, they can live the truth without the threat of the machines. I would say that that is not only a feasible goal, but also one worth living, dying, and suffering for. I hate to resort to name-calling, but you guys who would choose to live in the Matrix really are a bunch of cowards.

15. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

I would rather live inside the matrix. IN the first film, you see Cypher when he's discussing the deal with the Agents and he's biting into a nice juicy steak... he says "My brain knows this is not real, yet it tastes so nice" or something along those lines. I would rather live in the relatively beautiful matrix than in the now shitty real world, with no real food, animals or sunlight. :)

16. Evil_Jeanyus

Evil_Jeanyus That's it Ellen, cup the balls.

reality > fantasy

17. Chimpa Codigo

Chimpa Codigo Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Modulators

take this concept and look at your own life

18. kentertainer

kentertainer Guest

Thank you.

Thank you Evil Jeanyus. Finally someone is making some sense. I see that the caption below your screen name says that you don't really care what I think (lol), but I'm glad you said what you did. : )

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2003
  19. SilviaDriver

SilviaDriver Guest

20. The Dave

The Dave Biodegradeable Member

Having a family, food and healthy life although fantasy > shitty reality

21. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER Rest In Peace, Brother...

Fixed.

Red Pill = Apple from the Tree of Knowledge like in the Bible

22. greypilgrum

greypilgrum New Member

Well everyone wouldn't except it and die. Remember when smith says something about the first matrix was so perfect that many humans wouldn't accept it and whole crops were lost. I'm sure it'd be the same for a world of pure fear.

23. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

I'm not. Fear does not aloow you time to think rationally. If you're always on the move just to stay alinve, you don't have time to question the philosophicl nature of the universe.