Great first bike.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by VBGOD, Jul 28, 2002.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

[​IMG]

MSRP: $4,399
    Engine: 487cc, four-stroke, twin cylinder, air cooled with DOHC
    Bore/Stroke: 74.0 x 56.6 mm
    Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
    Carburetor: Mikuni BSR34
    Lubrication: Wet sump
    Ignition: Transistorized
    Starter: Electric
    Transmission: 6-speed
    Final Drive: #520 chain
    Overall Length: 2080mm (81.9 in.)
    Overall Width: 800mm (31.5 in.)
    Overall Height: 1060mm (41.7 in.)
    Seat Height: 790 mm (31.1 in.)
    Ground Clearance: 150mm (5.9 in.)
    Wheelbase: 1405mm (55.3 in.)
    Dry Weight: 173kg (381 lbs.)
    174 kg (383) CA. model

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_02/sportstreet/fr_gs500.htm

------------
    Can anyone give me some kind of estimate of speed?

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

4. eurocarracer

eurocarracer New Member

i would get me a GSX-R 600 for my first bike :)

5. get an R1

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

7. MyHeadIsDumb

MyHeadIsDumb Guest

omg yes. :drool: :drool:

8. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Specs? Price?

9. kiss kiss bang bang

kiss kiss bang bang New Member

Gixxers are deadly between the legs of squids.

10. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

It makes everything else look like shit...... :( :big grin:

11. Ting Ting

Ting Ting Guest

12. eurocarracer

eurocarracer New Member

how about GSX?

13. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

:confused: Pics..

14. ( . )( . )

( . )( . ) Guest

i th ink the best starter crotch rocket for ANYBODY i dont care whom you be, would be the kawasaki ninja 250 .......it's got like 50 horsepower, it's small, its light, easy to learn on......and parts are not ex pensive.....

i think you are stupid if you've never ridden a streetbike before and are buying any type of 600cc monster...........nowadays the 600cc monsters are catching really close to the r1's, gixxer 1k's, ninja 1k's......they are just plain mean!......ride a 250 for a year, and learn to ride properly then upgrade to whatever you feel more comfortable with, lately im seeing alot of kids hurt and dead because their daddies got them a new hayabusa or a new 600-1000cc crotch rocket

15. ( . )( . )

( . )( . ) Guest

hey lebaron, you ever hear the sound of this Tiller before?

oooooooh nothin like the sound of that man!.......specially the rc51.......v4's rock!

16. BIGBALLS

BIGBALLS Guest

i disagree, don't buy a brand new bike, especially one you will outgrow in probably 2 weeks, get a cbr f2 or f3.

17. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I think 998's are great first bikes.

18. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

you are such a moron.

19. BIGBALLS

BIGBALLS Guest

the rc51 didn't impress me at all, test drove one, than test drove an r1, rc51 looks alot better, but no contest in performance and fun factor imo

20. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

$2,999 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bigthumb:

Nice...

21. ( . )( . )

( . )( . ) Guest

thats another really good point.......buy your bike new, be prepared to dump it.........every new rider will either drop their bike in a parking lot or actually crash it..........i got an 84 vf750f for my first street bike, but i've been dirtbiking all my life so i k now how to ride......i pulled it outta the garage, dropped it cuz i was a dumbass and broke clutch lever and scraped the exhaust........if this was a new bike, a clutch lever would've co sted me over 100 bucks new........just not worth it in the longrun

22. ( . )( . )

( . )( . ) Guest

yeah the rc51 has a peice of plywood for a seat....i test drove one too, the sound was awesome, the top end was awesome, but it did NOT compare to the yammi R1........

another good bike for someone who already knows how to ride and is getting their first street bik e,.......

a suzuki sv650

23. eurocarracer

eurocarracer New Member

[​IMG]

Laguna Seca. Daytona. Road America. To some people these are merely race tracks. To us, they are - just as importantly - proving grounds. We research and develop our production supersport bikes under the most extreme conditions. It goes right along with our integrated-design philosophy - an approach to R&D built on the recognition that all parts of a high-performance motorcycle are inter-related. The result has been the most dominating machines of their generation: the incredible line of GSX-R supersport bikes, including the awesome GSX-R600.

To win in the 600cc supersport class, every aspect of performance must be absolutely first-rate. And that begins with engine performance. The GSX-R600's powerplant uses the same basic design as the GSX-R750, with liquid cooling, a downdraft Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber (TSCC®) head with four valves per cylinder, and cylinder bores plated with Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM™). It also uses fuel injection - a revolutionary system called Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) fuel injection. It combines the advantages of fuel injection - accurate fuel delivery and more efficient combustion for increased power - with the seamless throttle response of constant-velocity carburetors. The result is excellent mid-rpm torque and crisp throttle response throughout the powerband. What's more, the system allows the use of relatively large throttle bodies, a large airbox and the Suzuki Ram Air Direct intake system for the kind of high-rpm performance that lets you tuck in on the straightaways and extend your lead. For 2002, the GSX-R600 also features a new polished stainless-steel exhaust pipe for more radical sport styling than ever.

The engine not only offers astounding performance, it's extremely narrow. That in turn allows the bodywork to be narrower and more aerodynamic. Small dual-beam headlights and compact instruments allow the fairing's nose to incorporate an exceptionally effective Suzuki Ram Air Direct intake system. The integration of all these designs results in a bike that weighs a featherweight 359 lbs*. And this year the dual-beam headlights are updated so that both headlights operate on the low-beam setting.

On the track, the GSX-R600 responds to your input with unbelievable precision. Credit goes to a variety of advanced designs. It has a rigid chassis; state-of-the-art, fully adjustable front and rear suspension, and world-class brakes. Put it all together and you'll find you can brake hard and deep into tight turns with confidence, follow a precise line through the corner, and attack wide-open sweepers with complete conviction.

-----this is some of the things it has in the engine

SRAD (Suzuki Ram Air Direct) is designed to supply the carburetors (or fuel injection throttle bodies) with a steady supply of cool dense air to help the engine develop maximum power. Air enters through two openings on each side of the front fairing and travels through sealed tubes directly into the air cleaner. As road speed increases the air velocity in the system increases and pressurizes the air cleaner. This helps the engine develop maximum high rpm power.

The constant velocity carburetor(s), (CV carb), is used on most Suzuki street legal models and certain ATVs. On conventional carburetors the throttle cable is connected directly to the throttle slide. However, as the throttle is opened on a CV-type carburetor, the air pressure difference between the outside atmosphere and inside the carburetor venturi forces the slide up and down. This type of system allows the carburetor to feed the engine a very precise amount of fuel/air mixture which increases fuel economy and gives good throttle response. The precision of the CV carburetor also helps meet emission regulations.

Secondary throttle valves are fitted to each fuel-injection throttle body to improve intake efficiency and smooth power delivery. The valves are operated by a ECM-controlled servo-motor that constantly adjusts the intake opening to match engine performance with the riding condition. The latest generation SDTV (on GSX-R600 and 1000) uses a compact servo-motor mounted directly to the throttle body for excellent response.

Conventional cylinders usually consist of an iron liner pressed into an aluminum cylinder. However, certain Suzuki models use a SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electro-Chemical) finish of nickel-phosphorus-silicone-carbide material. By eliminating the thick liner the cylinder dissipates heat more efficiently and it can be made lighter and more compact. The SCEM finish is also more durable than an iron liner, and maintains a consistent level of hardness even at extreme temperatures.

Suzuki's Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber design, (TSCC), improves cylinder charging, fuel combustion efficiency and throttle response on Suzuki stroke engines equipped with 4-valves per cylinder. The unique shape of the cylinder head, combined with two intake valves, causes the incoming fuel/air mixture to form separate high speed swirls. The swirling fuel/air mixture is accelerated by the wide squish area of the combustion chamber resulting in rapid combustion of the fuel mixture. The spark plug is centrally located between all four valves which also assists in rapid burning of the fuel mixture.

Liquid cooling is used to maintain optimum engine operating temperature and minimize power loss due to engine heat. This type of cooling system uses the same types of engine components as used in an automobile cooling system; such as a radiator, water pump, and thermostat. Liquid cooling is especially effective on racing-type engines that operate at consistently high rpm. By carefully controlling engine operating temperature, the designer can specify close tolerances without worrying about significant dimensional variation or distortion due to overheating. In high performance applications, the additional weight of the cooling system is easily outweighed by the potential increase in horsepower.

:)

24. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

:bigthumb:

Listen, this is a FIRST bike.

25. ( . )( . )

( . )( . ) Guest

yeah, just by reading this i dont think i'd want to get up on one.......

when im out withmy buddies riding, the guys on the gixxer 600's are able to tap the throttle and lift up the front wheel without trying........that alone is enough to k eep me away.........i dont have a big enough bank account for all the stunting tickets........good thing my interceptor cant do wheelies or stoppies heheh