GREAT Elise blurbs in AutoCar magazine ... Elise vs. Ferrari 360 Challange Stradale

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ace3, Apr 6, 2004.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

"However, there are areas in which the car from Maranello crushes the Hethel upstart so obviously and completely, it's stretching things to call it a contest: styling, presence, ease of ingress, interior ambience, engine size/power/sound/apperence and - harder to define, this, but no less real - an aura that makes your skin prickle as you walk up to it."

"But the fact is, remove the straight-line grun from the equation, and the Elise 111R is a more rewarding steer than the Ferrari. Savour the moment. Cars that change your life view don't come along every day".

..."It is, hand on heart, quite ridiculously good. And not just because its cross-country pace dissolves whatever happens between A and B like a vcat of sulphuric acid. With the 111R, the seminal Elise purity is at the heart of a bigger experience that includes genuine straight-line thump, new levels of front-end bite, fabulous manners on the limit, a tasty engine note, a vast new rev ceiling, a terrific gearchange and an almost unfathomable fine ride. If ever a car's abilities transcended its apparent station in life, here it is. This is what we think...."

"...if you focus on arguably the most important elements (driving experience, handling, ride and braking) its fight with CS looks more like an opportunity than a foregone conclusion..."

"...easy back the volume back from 11 to, say, eight, remove 30 per cent of the spite and fury (*Note: and save 106,000 pounds, > USD 150,000*) and you have the Lotus. Going hard is essentially the same deal. Which makes following the Ferrari in the 111R almost spooky. The Elise tries to shadow the CS, homing in at a dizzy 7800rpm like a cruise missile and, up to 80mph at least, it comes tandalisingly close to pulling it off.
    Really, it's one hell of an engine..."

"... there's something about the Lotus's steering. Something about the way it requires so little effort yet says so much, the way it melds precision with purity feels unmatched by any road car.
    The latest Elise is reflexive, instinctively correct in its actions. It seems to have no inertia, no blurring of intention. You don't have to read the car, it reads you. You wear it, mentally, physically. Everything it does is beautifully resolved.

"...by comparison the Ferrari feels very much what it is: bigger, wider, and heavier. Its' steering doesn't seem to resolve half of much information from the road's surface or respond as precisely or swiftly to small, line-trimming inputs. And despite having quite phenomenal ceramic brakes and astonishing reservers of grip on its semi-slick Michelins, it simply doesn't key into the road the way the superbly lithe and supple Lotus does. In short, the Elise feels more connected. It recalibirates your senses even when you come to it from a car as responsive as the Ferrari CS..."

"...What you get (with 111R) is the perfect conversion of power into motion. Pure, unsullied, sensational..."

"...the plain fact is that the Ferrari isn't as good. It corners harder but with less communication, less involvement and less fluidity. As the fight nears its end, this isn't a superficial fleash wound, it's a badly broken jaw..."

"...But the fact is, remove straight-lie grunt from the equation, and the Elise 111R is a more rewarding steer than the Ferrari. Savour the moment. Cars that change your life dont's come along every day..."

So unless you go for the styling, presence and sound of the CS, 111R leads the way

i can't fucking WAIT.

[​IMG]

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

3. P-chan

P-chan New Member

4. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

No, you're not.

5. Telstar

Telstar Guest

I'd still rather have the Ferrari.

6. Skizza20

Skizza20 Robster craws? What the f*(& are robster craws?!?

You're not ac............wait a minute.

7. Section8

Section8 .

No Vickie Butler-Henderson, No Care :o

[​IMG]

8. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

Wow, everything is better than that piece of shit ferrari :mamoru:

9. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

meh

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

on the track, apparently so

11. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

read it, pricks

12. §2k

§2k New Member

360 challenge stradale is so hot

13. Section8

Section8 .

I read the bold stuff :o Very cool actually. This only proves even more that you'll need to do an Audi Bi-Turbo V8 swap as soon as you take delievery so you can stomp all the Ferraris into the ground.

14. §2k

§2k New Member

:eek3:

15. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

the old geezers around here that actually take their Ferraris out to the track ... i've BEAT them with the celica. that's how bad they pussy-foot 'em around.

there is a guy who owns a box company in Lincoln that has a GT2 ... guy's in his 70's but has a bunch of high-perf cars. he'll be an interesting challenger. ;)

16. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Section8

Section8 .

In all seriousness though, that car should be able to hold its own on a track with at GT2, the only place you'll lose out is the straights, and if your track (can't remember the layout) doesn't have a lot of long straights, you should be able to hold your own just fine.

18. §2k

§2k New Member

hotness

19. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

20. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

our main straight is 2222ft ... pretty long, but the rest of the track is twisty... should be interesting.

[​IMG]

21. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

22. EgoFalter

EgoFalter Say 'Ariloulaleelay'. It's fun

i like the lotus but would take the ferrari without hesitation
    ferrari's aren't just completely stripped-down track cars

23. dmora

dmora Guest

:love:

24. Section8

Section8 .

Damn, that's like a half mile or so. You better make sure you nail the corner exit on that turn prior to the straight :o

25. Brian Pumper

Brian Pumper New Member

I've got an Autocar internship that starts in less than 40 days :cool:. Been wanting to work there since I was an infant.