Great Apple Ideas From You....List Them!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Battousai, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Battousai

Battousai New Member

I thought it might be cool to share ideas you have had about your mac, or ideas apple should do to incorporate them into their design. I have several of my own, but since I mostly deal with iBooks..."labtops"...I figured I would shoot out my number one idea....

What Apple should have done IMO, is they should have designed their batteries to be able to hook up to the computer through a hidden power port for temp power... so you are able to swap out the dying battery for the charged one. Just make it a simple plug in like their power plug in into the computer, or design a good connection "something looking like firewire would be nice and clean cut....switch out the batteries, and then take out the cord that would be connected to the computer, and WA-LA, the comptuer would see that you are operating at 100% battery power, and go off Temp. stability.

There has been several times on the road I have wanted to swap out bats, but NOoooo, have to shut down and then change...UGH!! It would be awsome if they have a hook up like that.

So please share if you like...if not, do ya at least like my idea? :x:

2. rpark

rpark New Member

a small 5 min internal self charging battery would be easier.

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

Damnit. I had a really good iPod idea but I can't remember it now.

4. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

the current 15 and 17" powerbooks have just that. :cool:

I read this idea somewhere else before, but i really like it, so i'll repeat it here. Apple should come up with a way to run your computer on any mac. Think about it, you could just copy your files to an external hard drive, and then somehow, once the hdd is connected to a different mac, you could be able to use it exactly like you would your mac. You would have all the user settings the same, all your files would be there, that would be pretty cool i think.

5. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Thats would be hella sweet too!

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

iTunes should have profiles.

I manage four iPods: Mine, my girlfriend's mini, my nieces shuffle, and my nephews shuffle. Most tracks they want on their iPods I don't want on mine or in my library, so I've come up with a way around it. But it would be soooo much easier if I could open iTunes, choose a certain profile, and work from there.

7. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

lemme try and dig up the article, it's basically just a 5 minute battery for the purpose of being able to swap out main batteries without shutting down

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:confused: how is that any different from carrying around an external HDD with OS X installed, and then telling the machine to boot from a firewire device on startup? I don't think I see what you're saying.

9. Skoles

Skoles Guest

iTunes should have subplaylists. So I can have a big play list of "Soundtracks" but then expand it to see the albums inside.

OSX should have a "switchers mode" where some things (mainly windows & shortcuts) would be shown or work how they would in a Windows environment. Example would be the the "minimize, expand, close" circles for a window would be in the right corner instead of the left. Little things like that & more would pop-up little tool tips telling you the keyboard shortcut or how OSX handles it better. Once you get the hang of things it would revert back.+

10. Network the drive, boot from it.

11. Playlists? And Mac OS X supports multiple users.

12. Huh?

That would defeat the purpose of the Mac OS interface.

13. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i think hes saying like an albums playlist where you can expand the album and see the tracks inside, or something like that, im not following 100% either.

14. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have a large collection of soundtracks. I don't listen to them enough to make individual playlists out of them so I have one playlist that I dump all my soundtracks into. It would be great if I could make a playlist folder called "soundtracks" and have my individual albums in there. It would be easier for me instead of opening my soundtrack playlist and typing in what I want to hear to single them out.

As for the "switcher mode" think of it like the OS recognizing what you are doing & popping up a window telling you how you can do it another way easier. I'm sure a lot of switches might not be aware of spring-loading folders so they open 2 windows & thumb through to where they want to copy a file to. Instead of holding the file over the folders and having it spring open.

15. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Drag something over your drive icons or a folder & just hold it there. Folder opens.

It automatically closes if you drag it off.

I ment to say spring-loading.

16. There is an "Album" column in the list. Order by that.

17. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Yea I know, but I could do it for my classic rock collection too...it's just a convenience thing.

18. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm still not sure what you're trying to do, but I think a smartplaylist would work just fine.